3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   Blender recomendations? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/234755-blender-recomendations.html)

CyndiM 06-03-2011 01:40 PM

Blender recomendations?

I am looking at a "serious blender" for smoothies and other yummy raw foods. I've finally decided to bite the bullet and I'm going to pool my birthday money and buy the best I can. So now the question - VitaMix or BlendTec and why? Thanks!

Suzanne 3FC 06-04-2011 11:20 PM

Well shucks, Cyndi, I don't think anyone has one :lol: Judging from the reviews on Amazon, I think they come in pretty evenly. However, I've heard that one might be better for one thing while the other might be better at others. So it may depend on what you plan to do with it. I've read that the Vitamix makes smoother smoothies. Of course I can't vouch for it.

I have a Breville Ikon which I love and wouldn't part with, but has mixed reviews on Amazon. I tend to pull out my kitchenaid stick blender for smoothies. Not because it's any better, but simply because it's easier to clean and I'm lazy :)

Congrats on your present to yourself! Either one will be a treat :yes:

Jesscobedo 06-04-2011 11:38 PM

I splurged on a vitamix about 6 months ago and use it everyday for my smoothies. I love love love it! It's easy to clean and makes delicious smoothies. They do road shows all over where they are sold at a $50 discount, i got mine when they were at a Costco in my area.

Shay 06-05-2011 07:35 AM

Vitamix. I love it. I got mine on QVC so I split my into 5 payments. Easy to clean which is important to me because I am lazy, lol.

CyndiM 06-10-2011 05:52 AM

Suzanne - The funny thing is I've seen similar threads before. Maybe in another area :shrug: I've read lots of comparisons and review and the differences seem small so I just need to make a decision. Today is the day!

nelie 06-10-2011 07:45 AM

Oh I didn't see this thread! I've had a vitamix for a few years and I love it. I went through 3 blenders in a period of 18 months, including consumer reports best picks and I was done. So I bought the vitamix and I haven't looked back since. It is a pretty simple design which I like. I'm not sure you can go wrong though.

CyndiM 06-11-2011 03:51 PM

I was all set to get the VitaMix then Amazon decreased the Blendtec by $50. Now I'm debating again. In the meantime my DW is having fun watching the Will It Blend videos. Oh dear

Suzanne 3FC 06-11-2011 05:12 PM

That sounds like a tempting offer! I'd like to hear how you like your choice when you get it.

Funny video :lol: I guess it's better that your other half watches that video than this video :eek:

CyndiM 06-12-2011 04:36 PM

So after agonizing and reading every review I could find (and there are a lot of them) I got the VitaMix with the 7 year warranty. I know I will love it and I'm sure I'd have loved the BlendTec if I got that, but I like the longer warranty for a purchase of this size. Now DW is buying every kind of nut she can find to make nut butters. I just hope I get to use "my" new toy once it gets here.

Michinmn 06-19-2011 12:31 PM

Hi CyndiM,

Hubby and me saw a demo at Costco, can't remember the name of the blender but it is AWESOME! It's expensive but well worth it we think. Becuase it actually is like a commerical blender, it can blend so fast it can make soup, and its warm! And then within a few minutes, wala it makes yummy healthy key lime ice cream with the main ingrediant Spinach!!!
I'll look to see what the name of the blender is, but if you have seen the demo's at Costco..that's the one to get!!!!!

Michinmn 06-19-2011 12:35 PM

Here is a quick easy green smoothie recipe, I haven't tried it yet but we will as soon as our vacation is over. (don't have a blender with us).

Easy Green Smoothie Recipe

1 large bunch of spinach
2 bananas
1 apple, cored (or other fresh, seasonal fruit)
water
Directions: Place all ingredients in a Vitamix or high-speed blender. Add enough water to nearly cover the fruit and greens. Blend thoroughly until all ingredients are completely pulverized. Add more/less water depending on preferred consistency (something you’ll learn over time). Serve immediately and enjoy!

Michinmn 06-19-2011 01:25 PM

The blender me and hubby saw at Costco was BlendTec.

It is expensive but you dont have to worry about the machine breaking and you can do all the blending at one time, no need to stop to add ice cubes little at a time. Put them in at same time.

The website has awesome recipes too like tortilla soup, and a yummy key lime ice cream treat that is made out of spinach. I don't even like key lime stuff and this is one of mf favorites!!!

lillyw 06-19-2011 04:14 PM

You would have to pry my VitaMix out of my cold, dead hands. I'd give up the microwave before I'd let this baby go. I even travel with it if I'm going by car. Use it several times a day. Dreamt of one since I saw ads for tomato ice cream when I was a kid. When I finally could afford it, I felt rich.

Michinmn 06-23-2011 11:16 PM

Yea VitaMix and Blendtech are almost identical, however, the Blendtech is more commercial made so it has higher RPM or what ever they call it so it can handle lots of ice...well what we saw at demo at Costco....me and hubby are saving up for the blendtec. I can't wait!! I want to make all kinds of recipes with it. Especially since, we don’t really have a "real" kitchen. And I mean NO kitchen so cooking isn’t fun for me these days. We are doing construction that is lasting longer than 1 year so smoothies and such will be my bff's! lol

ChantelJean 06-28-2011 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michinmn (Post 3897792)
The blender me and hubby saw at Costco was BlendTec.

It is expensive but you dont have to worry about the machine breaking and you can do all the blending at one time, no need to stop to add ice cubes little at a time. Put them in at same time.

The website has awesome recipes too like tortilla soup, and a yummy key lime ice cream treat that is made out of spinach. I don't even like key lime stuff and this is one of mf favorites!!!

That is how I purchased my Blend-tec! I was orginally wanting the vita-mix but they didn't have one and I was so impressed with the blend-tec. As a barista/pro smoothie maker hehe, I've used both. The blend-tec is nice because you put everything in, push "smoothie" and 30 seconds later you have liquid perfection! But vita-mixes are more popular I'd say, so either would be a great purchase and lifelong friend!