Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Default Chia seeds and flax meal - Anybody use these? How?

I've heard about flax seeds before of course, but only recently heard about chia seeds for the first time (every time I read about them, I must confess that the old "Chia Pet" jingle goes off in my head ).

Apparently they're both good sources of monounsaturated fats, and also fiber. I've seen Bob's Red Mill ground flax meal at my grocery store, but only seen chia seeds at Whole Foods.

Anybody use these? Any suggestions for how to incorporate them into my diet for a boost of nutrition?
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I use flax seeds. I think they taste really good (sort of sesame-seedish), but you do have to grind them to get any benefit from them (otherwise they just pass right through your system whole and undigested).

People will say you should buy them whole and grind them at home in a spice grinder, because they retain the best flavor and nutrition. However, when I did that, I almost never used them. So now I by flax seed or golden flax seed pre-ground and store it in the freezer. I'm more likely to use it pre-ground.

I usually add it to smoothies or oatmeal.

I've bought chia seeds, but haven't used them yet. If you add them to water, they make a gel that can be used as a fat replacer. You can also add them to smoothies, or you can sprout them (sproutpeople.org has directions I believe).

I love sprouting, and sproutpeople.org has a lot of cook information, tips, and they sell seeds too - so many varieties (locally I can usually only find alfalfa, mung bean, and salad mix sprout seeds).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I have a tablespoon of ground flax seeds in my yogurt with berries at night. It tastes like yogurt & granola - yum.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Sometimes I do chia seed pudding which is really easy to do.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #5  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hi Jen,
I eat ground flax, chia seeds & raw cacao nibs daily! I lurve them!!!! I toss all of the above into my dry oats & yogurt & fruit each day, it is a great chewy, crunch, satisfying combo! They are all fiberlicious & have protein too! Cha cha cha- chia I sing to myself each morning & yanno I think I may be sproutin a few extra hairs on my head! j/k I buy all of the above which are reasonably priced at vitacost.com, for convenience being I don't have a health food store in my radius! I also keep them all in the refrigerator after opening. I think you will enjoy them too, some people toss them into smoothies, but I am not a smoothie kinda gal.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Sometimes I do chia seed pudding which is really easy to do.
Can you elaborate? Thanks.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #7  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
Can you elaborate? Thanks.
I do it mostly plain, chia seed, almond milk, some cinnamon, raisins, etc. If you google, you'll find various recipes.

Here is a simple one
http://www.choosingraw.com/basic-chia-seed-pudding/

And this one is basically the same but with pumpkin added
http://www.choosingraw.com/pumpkin-chia-pudding/
Old 02-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #8  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

I second chia pudding Although, if you have issues with gelatinous textures, you probably wont like it. It's similar to tapioca pudding to me, if tapioca pudding had more tapioca and less pudding ~

I do add sweetener because I use Unsweetened Almond milk. I also add almond and vanilla extracts and cinnamon. I made a chocolate version too, using chocolate almond milk, cocoa powder, and some cinnamon.

Sometimes I sprinkle chia in my oatmeal, particularly if it's runnier than I'd like. It absorbs some of the extra liquid.

However, I haven't found that it keeps me "full" or "energized" as some books/sites claim. I just use it for the Omega 3 boost since I don't eat much fish...
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #9  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I use flax meal to replace (some of the) flour when I make banana muffins or pancakes. Just reduce the flour in the recipe by 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup and add that amount of flax meal.

You can also use it to replace an egg in baked goods, you mix a tablespoon of flaxmeal with 3 tablespoons water and throw that in instead of an egg.

I also stir it into oatmeal and yogurt as mentioned above, and you can sprinkle it on a bowl of fruit.

Last edited by Wildflower; 02-24-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm going to have to try the chia pudding now! I usually just put the seeds in my oatmeal for an added nutrition boost.
cheryl126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #11  

So the nutrition of the chia seed can be accessed without having to grind them up. They do not just "pass right through"? I can see all kinds of uses for them in thickening even without the nutritional issue. Does anyone have the caloric info handy?
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #12  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixiet View Post
I second chia pudding Although, if you have issues with gelatinous textures, you probably wont like it. It's similar to tapioca pudding to me, if tapioca pudding had more tapioca and less pudding ~
Uh, thanks for the warning!! I was almost on the way to the store when I read your comment. Gelatine texture? Yuck.

Last edited by josey; 02-25-2011 at 09:53 PM.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #13  
Just Me

Well I don't like gelatin but I like chia seed pudding. I would agree that it is similar to tapioca pudding though.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #14  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

i could eat a whole pot of tapioca pudding! that sounds awesome!
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #15  
Elena-Aria<3

S/C/G: 163/ticker/115

Height: 5ft2

I use to use chiaseeds and make the chia seed gel. Very filling, low calorie, and healthy to eat chiaseed gel. The seeds absorb water so it forms a gel when you place them in water and then you eat the gel. It has no taste (thats a good thing to me.) Cuz when you make the gel its mainly water. I heard its very beneficial to people you are hungry people cuz it fills you up if you eat the gel with your meal. Im not a very hungry person though so I didnt really need it but it will help you eat less. Good luck
Elenaaria is offline   Reply With Quote