Chia seeds and flax meal - Anybody use these? How?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I use Chia seeds mainly in breakfast. I put them on my cereal, in yogurt, on top of pancakes, you name it. They are also great on garden salads, or add to tuna or even scrambled eggs. They really have no flavour, I just use them for their great benefits. I know some people bake with them too which I might try. Chia is also a complete protein which means it has the essential amino acids. The list of benefits could go on and on. I also add flax to all the above stuff too. Flax does add a earthy nutty flavour but very subtle and the benefits again are fantastic.
  • Does anyone know where I can find "chia seeds"??? Walmart certainly don't have it! Help please... I want...cha cha cha chia!
  • Health food stores, bulk stores will usually carry them. If you don't have anything like that around you check online.
  • Joyful - I found mine at Whole Foods, in the bulk bins. That might be a good way to get a small amount to see if you like them. WF also had chia seeds in bags. I think I saw Bob's Red Mill and Nutria-something brands.
  • I couldn't find any chia seeds in the store, so I got mine on amazon. I'm not sure how the price online compares to in-store, but I get free shipping with amazon prime, so maybe it evened out.
  • I get mine at Swanson Vitamins online.
  • I read somewhere here on 3FC that sometimes Mexican grocery stores carry chia seeds with the spices (the little flat bags) and kept my eyes peeled. I eventually found them at a Cardenas for something like 69 cents. I've also seen them at Whole Foods in canisters (for some reason they don't have them in bulk here), but sometimes spending $20 at once on them was a little steep (although you obviously get more than the little 69 cent bags, lol). I haven't done anything with them yet except to mix them in my smoothies. Oh, and I did add them once to my cranberry juice, not bad! I'll have to check out the recipes for the pudding.

I've been able to find ground flax at Trader Joe's pretty cheap, and I've even found it at Walmart in the baking/flour section. I keep the bag refrigerated after opening.

I've yet to try cocoa nibs but have read about some of the benefits. I've been wanting to pick some up.
  • Thanks alot ladies! I'm going to try my local whole foods store...if they don't have it...I'm going ON-LINE!!! Seems I end up shopping more and more online for stuff these days.
  • Just wanted to say, I've been using flaxmeal for a couple of weeks now, and like it in my Greek yogurt, often combined with fruit and/or dry oats (I'm a raw oats fan). A 2 Tbs. serving is 60 calories and bigger than I thought it would be.

This morning I finally broke open the bag of chia seeds, and used 1 Tbs. of them in my yogurt. They had no discernible taste to me, but were slightly crunchy, sort of like sesame seeds.

I am NOT a tapioca fan, but maybe I'll try the chia pudding for tomorrow. If I don't like it, it's still good to know I can eat them just sprinkled over stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Joyful - I hope you find them!
  • I had heard about a cereal called holy crap. So I looked into it and made my own. I add equal parts of chia, hemp seeds and buckwheat. I add two tablespoons of it to a 1/4 cup yogurt and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then I mix in 1/3 cup of granola sometimes. It's my favorite breakfast and I eat it almost daily. I made enough for several months for $20 and it's much cheaper than the store bought stuff.

I bought all of the stuff at a health food store. Chia is also sold at shoppers drug mart.
  • Quote: Does anyone know where I can find "chia seeds"??? Walmart certainly don't have it! Help please... I want...cha cha cha chia!
    Because I can't resist being a smart@ss:

1. Find a store that sells chia pets.
    2. Throw out the pet.
    3. Save the seeds.

(says Saef, who's now waiting for people to tell her that other Amazing TV Offers! have health benefits. Maybe I'll one day be adding Silly Sand to my oatmeal.)
  • I've never eaten chia seeds but I do love flax. I love making the "Muffin in a Minute" with ground flax. It makes a very filling breakfast. It's something I still eat even though I don't do low carb anymore.
  • I LOVE flax seeds. I add them to everything, my yogurt, smoothies, cereal, pasta sauces, and pizza. I definitely have felt better since I decided to add them to my diet. My bm are more regular, my skin is nicer, my nails are stronger and I can definitely tell a difference in my hair.
  • I finally bought some CHA CHA CHA CHIA!!! Found it at my local whole foods in bulk bins.

Thanks again ladies!....cha cha cha cha chia! Sorry, but can't help myself.
  • K...finally ate some CHA CHA CHA CHIA! It has NO TASTE and if I didn't watch myself sprinkle some onto my chili lunch yesterday, I would never even know it was there! But this morning...its effects were MASSIVE!

Thanks CHIA!