3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   Hello and Bean Burgers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/204939-hello-bean-burgers.html)

SueSays 06-18-2010 12:17 AM

Hello and Bean Burgers

Like my title? :D Hi all!

Just wanted to introduce myself since I think I've found "my" place! When I first found 3FC, I was on WW - good program, really, but boy are my attitudes about food different from the people at my meeting! I prefer to eat food, NOT "food-like edible products".

When I was on WW, I was pretty much eating the whole foods way but grew frustrated by points and the emphasis on low-point semi-foodstuffs. I'm now calorie counting (using the GWF and the online software) and continue to eat with an emphasis on GREAT nutrition. I love how much knowledge/experience you all have and share, and look forward to posting more often! :carrot:

That being said....does anyone have any great recipes for bean burgers? I'm not a huge fan of beans, but like the idea of a nicely spiced black bean burger (something with indian inspired spices, maybe?) but would prefer to start with something tried and true. If you can help me out, thank you!! (and if not, thanks anyways! :p )

olivia627 06-18-2010 07:35 AM

Hi SueSays!!! I'm a fellow Calorie Counter! Well, I'm easing back into counting them anyways! LOL!!

I've only ever had the frozen, prepackaged black bean burgers from the market and they were pretty good. But I would be VERY interested in seeing some recipes for homemade ones with interesting flavors and spices.

Not trying to put her on the spot ;), but Glory87 always has some excellent recipes! Hopefully she'll share one for an awesome Bean Burger!

nelie 06-18-2010 09:28 AM

Hi,

Someone recently posted in the vegetarian forum asking about bean burgers:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vege...er-recipe.html

RunnerChemist 06-18-2010 10:11 AM

The New York Times recipes for health section had a couple of bean burger recipes. I tried one that was very tasty, if a little delicate in texture. Good luck!

ma26 06-18-2010 10:21 AM

This is from the book "Vegan Planet"
Indian Spiced Lentil Patties
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c, minced onion
1 c. cooked brown lentils
1 cup chopped potato (not cooked in water, will be too moist. Baked)
1/2 c finely chopped unsalted dry roasted cashews
2/3 c. dry breadcrumbs
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne
Saute onion 1 tbsp oil in pan. Transfer to food processor and add all ingredients except reamaining oil. Once processed shape into patties and fry in remaining oil.

707Goddess 06-18-2010 11:49 AM

Welcome I too was on the boards before doing WW then I read Tosca Reno's book Eat Clean it's a whole food way of eaing

My name is Michelle

WaterRat 06-21-2010 08:30 PM

This from frontburnerblog by way of katheats
Vegan Bean Burgers

Ingredients: (makes 6 burgers)

•2 cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
•2 carrots, grated
•1/2 cup dry rolled oats
•1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
•1 tbsp olive oil
•1/2 tsp cinnamon
•1/2 tsp cumin
•1/2 tsp coriander
•1/2 tsp chili powder
•1/2 tsp onion powder
•1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
•1 tsp sea salt
•1/4 tsp black pepper
To Prepare: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Next, add the oats and pepitas to your food processor and grind until coarsely chopped (they will still be a little chunky). Let it run for roughly 10 seconds. Grate the carrots, and then add to your mixture in the food processor. Add 3/4 of the beans, all spices, and the olive oil. Once all of this is in the food processor, give it a whir and mix it all together.

Spoon mixture into a mixing bowl and then fold in the rest of the whole, reserved beans. Wet your hands and then form into 6 medium sized patties. Place patties on a non-stick baking sheet or into a baking pan, and bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes, turning once in the middle. If you want to grill these, pre-bake them for 30 minutes at 300, and then throw them on the grill to reheat and get a little extra browning.

olivia627 06-22-2010 07:40 PM

OMG, Hi Pat!!!!! How have you been?!?! (Sure hope you remember me! LOL)

And that recipe sounds pretty darn good!

WaterRat 06-23-2010 06:35 PM

I do indeed remember you. :) Seems you were pg with #3 at the time. Glad to see you back working on a healthy lifestyle.

olivia627 06-29-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterRat (Post 3355312)
I do indeed remember you. :) Seems you were pg with #3 at the time. Glad to see you back working on a healthy lifestyle.

Yes indeed! I felt completely awful NOT eating whole foods. My body feels GREAT to be back!!

SueSays 06-29-2010 06:54 PM

Hi again! So sorry for not replying sooner, but my computer time has been pretty scarce the last few days. THANK YOU so much for the recipes and ideas, I'm planning to try the Lentil Patties above this weekend. I also noticed that Fine Cooking has a mexican black bean burger recipe online, and it looks delish....maybe I'll make two batches so I can compare! :)