3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   favorite new breakfast (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/199529-favorite-new-breakfast.html)

blueridgegirl 04-16-2010 09:57 AM

favorite new breakfast

Hello all, I've read on this thread before, but never posted. Just wanted to share my new fave breakfast - I am pretty much an oatmeal devotee and most mornings eat oats cooked in water w/ almonds, cinnamon and some kind of fruit - blueberries, banana, etc. But had some leftover cooked quinoa and this week have been making:
*cooked quinoa with leftover sweet potato, walnuts, cinnamon, a few chopped up prunes for sweetness and a splash of milk. YUM! Sweet, crunchy, super filling and ridiculously healthy with the protein, fiber and the whole grains. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a break from the oatmeal routine.

caryesings 04-16-2010 11:03 AM

Funny, I'm about to get experimental with some barley as breakfast food because cooked up too much. Thanks for some flavoring ideas.

angelskeep 04-16-2010 11:14 AM

My husband cooks millet with apples and cinnamon. Any whole grain is delicious with fruit, nuts, yogurt or whatever you would put in oatmeal!

Barb

grrlscout 04-16-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelskeep (Post 3250968)
Any whole grain is delicious with fruit, nuts, yogurt or whatever you would put in oatmeal!

So true! Last week, I had some extra brown rice that I gave this treatment to, and it was good.

ma26 04-23-2010 10:12 AM

I just have to say that I just found the whole foods forum and this is so exciting!!

nelie 04-23-2010 10:53 AM

I made mililet and barley (together) this week. I love millet and it made a good combo for both sweet and savory applications. I also made some amaranth mixed with pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, a dash of vanilla and almond milk. Soo good :)

ledom 04-24-2010 10:03 AM

I have turned oatmeal around into a savory side before and that is good too. Out of rice, I added a little olive oil, salt and pepper to oatmeal as a side to a plate of chicken and vegetables and that was tasty as well as a break from brown rice.

garstar 06-10-2010 10:47 PM

I'm interested - what is quinoa? I LOVE oatmeal, is it similar? I'm a fan of anything warm for breakfast :)

Jane 06-11-2010 03:49 PM

Pronounced KEEN-wah, it is a yummy whole grain that comes in different varieties. Try it, you'll like it!

MoniqueDiet 04-18-2011 05:01 PM

Sounds great, thanks for sharing! :-)

~Monique

bellaella 04-18-2011 07:46 PM

can you cook quinoa in a couple minutes with just boiling water? I eat my oatmeal at work (the instant 1-3 minute kind) because i just have the water kettle.

Does this cook the same or do i actually need fire and a pot and more than 5 minutes?

nelie 04-18-2011 07:57 PM

It is more like rice. It is easy to cook ahead, throw in the fridge then dish out to reheat at work though.

Munchy 04-19-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellaella (Post 3813828)
can you cook quinoa in a couple minutes with just boiling water? I eat my oatmeal at work (the instant 1-3 minute kind) because i just have the water kettle.

Does this cook the same or do i actually need fire and a pot and more than 5 minutes?

How to Cook Quinoa Perfectly

You can always heat it up later. I cook it like the link and then use it for soup, a side dish, etc.

geoblewis 04-19-2011 01:13 PM

I don't do any sort of sweeteners, so my oatmeal is always savory. I like to toast the steel cut or the extra-thick cut rolled oats in a dry pan first. Sometimes I cook it with chicken broth. I like it topped with braised greens, a poached egg, dressed with olive oil and lemon juice, or adding crumbled uncured turkey bacon from Trader Joe's to it. Also good with cheese stirred in.

I'm writing a cookbook on veggies for breakfast. I'm about to test "muffin" recipes, using cooked grains with veggies and whole eggs or whites only. They're like mini quiches. Can mix quinoa with pureed butternut squash and cinnamon. Steel cut oats with spinach and feta. Barley with shredded zucchini or chopped broccoli.

bellaella 04-19-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchy (Post 3814838)
How to Cook Quinoa Perfectly

You can always heat it up later. I cook it like the link and then use it for soup, a side dish, etc.

thanks!!! Ill keep this in mind and buy a bag the next time im at the store!