Grow My Own Vegetables?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • LOL! I have a friend who is a Master Gardener with the county extension office. I only see her in the fall, at craft shows. I should just call...DUH! I always forget what a good resource they are.

Oh and I am really surprised and excited. I planted the other seeds on the 8th of this month, just 2 days ago. One of the cucumber seeds is already sprouting in the jiffy pellet greenhouse thingy. I double checked to make sure that's actually what it was. YUP.

Barb
  • Hi Angelskeep,

I have just started to grow my own small herb-garden. In this way - I do always have fresh herbs for my salads, and i want to try the "method of farming inhouse" before growing the bigger vegtab.

I have chosen some easy ones as timian, persil, oregano.

BR LASSE
  • Hi Lasse! I used to have herbs and will get them going again this year for the first time in a while. I hope my adventure in vegetables works well. Of course I will keep everyone posted!

Barb
  • I have clay soil and not much free area with enough sun for veggies. Best tip I ever got was from WanderingChopstick's blog - use a hard plastic kiddie pool for an instant good sized container garden. I found one on a street corner (hey a few cracks are no problem cuz you are gonna put in some holes for drainage anyway). In the fall I had brocholi, collards and cabbage. Right now I have parsley, basil, eggplant, snap peas, and crookneck squash. I also stick herbs wherever I think they will thrive. Makes cooking a continual experiment (in a good way)
  • Tommy-that swimming pool is a great idea. If I could find a Mr. Turtle for free, I would even have a lid to keep the moisture in...LOL! Maybe I can buy one of those at the end of the summer when they're on sale and use it next year.

I've gotten a ton of great ideas on here. Thanks EVERYONE!

Barb
  • Good luck to you! I live in an apartment, and I am trying lettuce, green onion, radish, tomato, pepper, chive, cilantro and basil in containers this year. It's definitely an experiment!

I did cucumber last year in a container, and it took over my porch. It was nice to have cucumbers. In stead of deer, I had a big squirrel problem - they'd take the fruits of my plants, and just leave them in the yard with a couple bites out of them.
  • That's hilarious about hte squirrels. We have like zero of those here for some strange reason.

I'm thrilled to pieces today because more of my seeds inside have sprouted. If I can just keep them alive inside for 4 more weeks, then it will be past the average last frost date and I can put them outside. Yeeehaaa!

Barb
  • Quote: Hyacinth-That site for the bucket hanging thingie is way good. Planting in the top and the bottom both. I wonder where I can get clean empty buckets...hmmm....

Barb
    Call bakeries in your area. Their icingcomes in 5 gallon buckets and usually they are happy to give them away. I use to decorate cakes at a grocery store here and i would get so many it was unreal.
  • Thanks Terre! We have a bakery 3 blocks from my house. I'llk go and ask them. MJy zucchini seeds and cucumber seeds are sprouting well, no tomatoes and peppers yet, but soon I hope. by the time they are big enough, I should be able to have some buckets ready. yaaay!

Barb
  • I am on the brink of buying a house (short sale, and the process is definitely NOT short!), and as soon as that happens I will start a garden! Meanwhile, I am living vicariously.

My goal is to one day become a Master Gardener.

Tommie - what a great way to use an otherwise useless piece of plastic that would've probably ended up in a landfill!
  • WoooHoooo! My lettuce seeds are peeking up from the soil! YAAAAAY! They are just starting, hopefully soon to be joined by spinach and spicy field greens. All were planted last Saturday, outdoors in containers. My cucumbers and zucchini are coming alng nicely in their jiffy pellets inside. The heirloom tomatoes, also inside are just coming up. No show yet for the heirloom peppers, but hoping any day.

I am having such a GREAT time with my new vegetable growing adventure. I hope they keep going nicely and taste good too!

Barb
  • growing your own is easy but requires a little upkeep. But the harvest you get is so bountiful!! i absolutly love fresh picked veggies! and u know no chemicals were used!
  • Woohoo! All of my seeds have sprouted and some of the sprouts are starting to get their second leaves. The lettuce and spinach and spicy salad greens in outdoor containers are popping out like mad. I'm thrilled to pieces and can't wait to see what really fresh veg taste like. Oh...and Robert works with a guy who wants to trade game meat for zucchini...so I hope I have a bumper crop of squashes. Elk and venison are pretty lean out here. And they have a sage-y flavor from eating the sagebrush. I can't kill Bambi myself, but I can sure eat him if he's already dead. My dad used to hunt when I was a child and we had lots of game meat then, but o0nly from friends once in a while now. My little veg adventure is growing for sure.

Barb
  • I love gardening. I use the square foot gardening method and have 3 4' squares filled with veggies and herbs. I also have onions/garlic growing in flower beds. It is a lovely hobby.
  • I kindf of have squares, but they're in containers, LOL! I don't think I'm ready for a proper veg garden quite yet, but I'm hoping my experiment goes well this year. I've spent a fortune on container medium so far, so my veg will be expensive!

Barb