Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

Default Let's talk about yogurt...

...For a toddler.

I myself like Fage 0% Greek Yogurt, he didn't.

When he was a baby I used to buy him organic "Yo Baby", recently found the "Yo Meals" that are good for toddlers and have fruits and veggies on it. The problem is that apparently they weren't a hit around here and I can't find the big one anymore.

I tried giving him vanilla flavored greek yogurt and he kind of like it. At school I see the kids eating Breyer's, but it has HFCS and I, personally, don't like that fact.

My questions:

What type/brand of yogurt do you give to your kids?
Do you give them whole, low fat or non-fat?

I was thinking about adding some fruit to plain yogurt and see if he likes it.

All suggestions are appreciate it.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I make my own yogurt using Fage as my "starter" I add fruit and agave for both me and my family members if we want it "sweetened".
I make my yogurt with 1/2 percent milk, and NF milk powder (for extra protein).
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/119/120

Height: 5'2"

I chop my fruits and put it in the fage yogurt for few hours (I generally do that at night for the yogurt I will eat next day).
That way the fruit juices get mixed with the yogurt and it does tastes and look like flavored yogurt. You can also add the sweetener of your choice.
healthyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Don't they recommend whole milk for toddlers? Wouldn't you use whole milk yogurt?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Disclaimer: I am not a mom. But I am an anthropologist, and I know that sufficient fat is VERY important for proper brain development in babies and toddlers. Especially the upper brain which makes us human. I would suggest talking to your pediatrician about whole/lowfat/skim at this stage.

Apologies for any offense. (I do like Fage. In Greece they also make special baby versions which are a little sweeter, but with fructose, not corn syrup.)
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Don't they recommend whole milk for toddlers? Wouldn't you use whole milk yogurt?
He was on whole milk, when he turned 2 the Pediatrician said to change to 2% milk.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll buy plain yogurt and chop fruits to see how he reacts to it.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Add a little honey to it at first. It's not an easy taste for a lot of adults to get used to, especially if it's plain to start with. I can remember the first time I had it and it was just the srangest thing to eat. It wasn't mainstream back then! And it wasn't loaded with sugar and fruit and sprinkles and all the bells and whistles is has now. Maybe start off giving the kiddle some cut up pieces of fruit and a little dish with a dab of yogurt and honey, or a mashed up banana if you don't want to use honey, as a dip...finger food is FUN...even for adults :-)

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #8  
CHEEZBURGER!

S/C/G: 149/147/135

Height: 5'3"

I like a little homemade lemon curd mixed into plain yogurt. Actually, I like just about any homemade jam in my yogurt.

As angelskeep mentioned, honey is nice too.
grrlscout is offline   Reply With Quote