Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #1  
An Army of One

S/C/G: 346/322 /150

Height: 5'10

Default soy:)

can soy be considered a whole food ??
like soy milk and veg burgers etc.....
blkbarbie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Edamame is a whole food but soy milk and veg burgers are processed. That doesn't mean you can't include them in a whole foods diet. Also soy milk is easy enough to make and even things like tofu can be made at home so they aren't on the frankenfood spectrum for me.

I eat an occasional veggie burger and will sometimes buy soy milk although I like almond milk more. I accept that these items may be processed at least somewhat.

Oh and SuperFoods RX lists the following soy foods as 'super foods':
Soy: tofu, soymilk, soy nuts, edamame, tempeh, miso (15 grams per day)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 236/236/160

Height: 5' 8"

I would also watch out for soy milk with added sweeteners such as vanilla or chocolate. I enjoy rice milk more, it's not as heavy to me and I buy a brand which is non-GMO. There are a ton of different dairy alternatives such as rice, almond, hemp (actually REALLY good), soy....check them out and find out which one you like the best.

There are a lot of veggie burgers out there that are loaded with a bunch of fillers, but there are a lot out there that simply have veggies and grains on the ingredients. Another thing to look for is veggie burgers that are loaded with cheese! BAD! Check the ingredients my dear!

Hope this helps.
zarra is offline   Reply With Quote