I need some good natural salad dressing recipies

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am sure you have a fav, please share.

My all time fav dressing is hidden valley ranch buttermilk mix, but I don't think it is very natural. I went to mixing it with half the mayo and more fat free buttermilk to cut calories, but I want to find some more natural options.

I love avocados if anyone knows a good recipe with those.

Thanks for sharing!
  • i don't know any natural salad dressing rcipes but since you like hidden valley ranch you should try spritz ranch dressing as a healthy alternative to hidden valley. The spritz is watery and not thick like hidden valley but the taste of ranch is there =)
  • MTNHeart,
    Hi, this is my first post but I have a secret passion for good salad dressings so I thought I'd share.

Avocado Tomato dressing:
    2 Ripe Avocados, peeled & pitted
    1 Medium, Ripe tomato
    1 tsp herbs/spices of your choice
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
    1/2 tsp sea salt to taste

put al ingredients except onion in a blender and blend until smooth, fold in onion

Here is a recipe for Avocado Mayo if you like:

1 cup pecans minced
    1 large ripe avocado peeled & pitted
    1Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    2 Tbsp unfiltered apple cider vinegar
    6 medium pitted dates (or enough to equal 3 Tbsp, packed)
    1 tsp minced garlic
    Sea salt to taste

Blend all ingredients until a creamy consistency is reached.

A few years ago a friend donated her salad dressing book to me. It is called "Salad dressings for life." I think she ordered it. There is an order form in the back of the book. The price on the cover says $13.95. If you would like to have the address PM me and Ill send it to you.
  • I used to look up recipes online for salad dressings, which is a good way to start. Then I started learning to just wing it. I usually start with olive oil and a vinegar and just add whatever sounds good, including leftover peanut sauce, or hummus, or seasonings, etc.
  • Italian Salad Dressing
    Ingredients:

6 T olive oil
    2 T white wine vinegar (I used champagne white wine vinegar)
    2 T chopped fresh parsley (only had dried, so used 2t)
    1 T fresh lemon juice (used half lemon, half lime juice)
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 t dried basil, crumbled (I had spicy Thai basil)
    1/4 t dried crushed red pepper
    1 pinch dried oregano

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in small bowl and whisk to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (I stuck it in the blender and didn't add any salt or pepper).
  • Apple-Maple Salad Dressing
    1/3c apple cider vinegar
    1/3c olive oil
    1 T maple syrup
    4 t Stevia
    1/2t minced garlic (2 small cloves)
    salt and pepper to taste

Combine ingredients and whisk together in a bowl, or put in a jar/bottle and shake.
  • Ginger-Almond Salad Dressing
    Ingredients:
    3 scallions
    fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
    2 cloves garlic
    4 T almond butter
    1 t flaxseed oil
    Bragg's amino acids or soy sauce, to taste
    1 c water
    sundried tomato (optional)

blend all except water–add water to desired consistency.
  • Sorry, I got a little over-zealous ... I forgot you were looking specifically for Ranch and avocado dressing ideas.

I haven't ever made a ranch dressing, but it looks like they're usually made with buttermilk and mayo. I'd start by substituting over half of the mayo (if not all) with fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt. Then usually a splash something astringent is added (lemon juice, apple cider vinegar or white vinegar). For spices, it looks like it's usually chives, mustard (dry or prepared), thyme, onion, salt, pepper, sugar. Variations included paprika, basil, garlic.
  • Thanks so much for all the ideas. I have trouble finding the right balance of herbs, so these should help. I am fairly new to natural whole foods and I want this to become a real lifestyle change for me.
  • Well I absolutely love the "fresh" tasting ranch dressing that some restaurants serve, but could never find out exactly what they used. I finally found a recipe I love, but modify it for fat/cal content:

1/2 cup each sour cream, buttermilk and mayo
    1 tsp onion powder and garlic powder
    1/2 tsp dill, parsley, salt, pepper and chives

Mix and let sit at least an hour.

It's soooo good! Love dipping fresh veggies into it!

Hope this helps!
  • These recipes were in my local paper today, I haven't tried any of them yet but they all sound wonderful-

Asian Tang
    1/2 c rice vinegar
    1/4 tsp soy sauce
    1/4 tsp sesame oil
    1/2 T lime juice
    1 tsp honey
    1 T orange juice
    dash of ginger powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper
    about 2 T 25 cal

Creamy Garlic Ranch
    2/3 c FF yogurt
    1/3 c skim milk
    1 T lemon juice
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp each - minced dried onions, dried dill, dried parsley
    1/4 tsp dried tyme
    dash salt & pepper
    about 2 T 15 cal

Creamy Blue Cheese
    2/3 c ff yogurt
    1/3 c buttermilk
    2 T crumbled blue cheese
    1/2 tsp minced dried onions
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    dash salt & pepper
    about 2 T 28 cal

I really want to try the Blue Cheese, that is my fav
  • Ranch powder, skim milk and non-fat yogurt or non-fat sour cream. use the milk to thin it out into a dressing consistency!

I don't have the exact measurements but can post them later.
  • I used to be all about the ranch, but since loosing weight, that hasn't been an option. This is my new favorite, but my wife kind of cringes at the egg, you can use mayo as a substitute, or leave it out completely but I have been staying away from the mayo. You can also add a Tbls of Anchovy paste for an extra Caesar kick.

1/4 cup Olive Oil
    1 large garlic clove
    2 Tlbs balsamic vinegar
    1 1/2 Tlbs fresh lemon juice
    3/4 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 egg white

1 Tablespoon is:
    46 Calories; 5 grams of fat; 3.5 grams saturated fat; 13 mg sodium; .5 grams carbohydrate; .3 grams Protein

To cut out the saturated fat, cut out the Worcestershire sauce. Enjoy!
  • the latest issue of Clean Eating magazine listed recipes for 9? all natural dressings and I'm definitely gonna be trying some of them because they look yummy!!

love that magazine!
  • I love this thread! I've never considered making my own dressings, I will try these - thanks everyone