Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 284/tickah/180

Height: 5'7"

I like brown rice but it takes forever to cook. Actually thinking of getting a rice cooker for this reason. But, like others, it's all about portion. It is nuttier and more filling so the portion doesn't seem so bad. I have never tried the instant brown rice...hmmm something to look into
me1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #17  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am not a huge rice person--usually do quinoa but I recently purchased a bag.

My question is whether or not "parboiled" is just as good for you. I bought just Uncle Ben's or something. I wanted the parboiled to save cooking time. Anyone know if there is a difference? Should I look for a certain type or brand?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #18  

Height: 6-1.5

Cooking time on brown rice. Soak the rice for at least 8 hours in the same water you will cook it in so the absorption will be the same. Then it will take only as long to cook as white rice. Pre-soaking all sorts of dried grains and legumes will shorten the cooking time. This is the most energy efficient way to do it.

A non-stick rice cooker is one of the best kitchen tool investments you can make. cook everything in my rice cooker. I saute vegetables, have cooked hamburger, soup, beans, and of course rice.

Also a cheap, non-fancy rice cooker can be used to cook brown rice. The way to cook brown rice is to put half of the water needed to cook the brown rice for one cycle of cooking (the amount to cook white rice). The press down button will pop up when it is done. Press the button down for another cycle and add the second haf of water.

So white rice takes one cycle, and brown rice takes 2.

I'd never eat par-boiled rice.

I also prefer to eat a "good" rice like Basmati, or Jasmine. The rice they sell as common rice tastes awful-- like cardboard. You change your mind about loving or hating rice after tasting the wonderful fragrance of a good rice type.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #19  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I saw this thread and just bounced in. I used to have a terrible time cooking brown rice. My white rice was always perfection, but brown either turned out like ground rock or mush...till I also started baking it.

boil 2.5 cups of water. In a glass pan, spray with some olive oil pam, add 1.5 cups of brown rice, pour the boiling water over it, add a pinch of salt if you want and cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for exactly one hour...it'll be perfect

Last edited by femmecreole; 09-03-2009 at 07:16 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #20  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

[QUOTE=giselley;2908428]I'd never eat par-boiled rice.

QUOTE]

And your reason being??? I have cooked the Uncle Ben's and it tastes okay.

ETA: After doing a little bit of reading today, I have discovered that the parboiling actually causes some of the nutrients in the husk (the husk that gives brown rice it's color) to be absorbed by the rice itself--thus increasing the nutritional benefits. I actually feel pretty good about my purchase now. But alas, I know it is fun to be a whole foods snob.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 09-03-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 AM   #21  

Height: 6-1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
And your reason being???
Par boiled rice is a processed food. It is like "instant potato flakes" Yuk. It might as well be canned food. The rice they use is horrible-- it's that tasteless rice. Like I said, I like specific types of rice. They taste much better.

It is so simple to cook rice that I would not bother to make it "easier." I don't see the point.

I thought this was a Whole foods thread. Food that has been processed is not whole food.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
ETA: After doing a little bit of reading today, I have discovered that the parboiling actually causes some of the nutrients in the husk (the husk that gives brown rice it's color) to be absorbed by the rice itself--thus increasing the nutritional benefits. I actually feel pretty good about my purchase now. But alas, I know it is fun to be a whole foods snob.
Well, to be fair, it only improves the nutritional benefit of parboiled WHITE rice, by driving the nutrients into the grain before the hull is removed. But, I suspect parboiled brown rice is pretty much the same as uncooked in terms of nutrients, so if you like the taste and texture, go for it!

I used to think I liked it, until I started using the uncooked - I notice a difference. I'd rather just cook a huge batch of the normal stuff and freeze it, so it only takes 2 minutes of microwave time to have my rice ready to eat.

Last edited by mayness; 09-04-2009 at 07:06 AM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #23  

I second the soaking of brown rice.
I buy brown basmati and soak for only 30 minutes, then use just slightly less water then the instructions say and boil on the stove covered for 20 minutes. Then let sit. If I am cooking only one serving, it takes about 10 minutes the I let sit for 5.

I love the brown basmati. And just as a note about basmati, even if you make the white version, you should soak it. It helps to lengthen the grain.

But to the OP's question, I would not say I lost weight eating brown rice. But I eat it sometimes and like it. If your looking to get away from processed foods, brown is better then white.
Give it a few goes, if you are used to the flavor of refines foods, it does take a few tries to retrain your taste buds, but the good thing is that once you do, you will be very happy with the new flavors.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #24  
Rif

S/C/G: 340/148/145

Height: 5'9"

I lost 190 pounds with brown rice as one of my staple complex carbs. I usually eat 2-3 ounces of it at a time. I cook mine in a rice cooker that I picked up at Target for about $50. Sweet potatoes (4 oz. raw = 110 calories) are also a great choice.
Rif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 160/150/140

Height: 5'6

I've recently discovered Brown Rice pasta. It is so much better than regular pasta too! However I noticed it has a little Saturated Fat in it and I was confused. I have also tried Quinoa pasta too, and it is also very good. I'm trying to switch over to whole grain pasta and hate whole wheat.

As for cooking Brown Rice, does it work okay in a rice cooker? I bought the Instant Brown rice but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the rice you get at Pei Wei or P.F. Changs. (that was the first time I ever had brown rice was at P.F. Changs.) I want to make rice that tastes like that! They probably add fat to it or something......I have looked on the website for Pei Wei though and the calories aren't too bad if you eat half of what is on your plate anyway.

I'd love to find some gourmet brown rice recipes!
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #26  
Rif

S/C/G: 340/148/145

Height: 5'9"

Brown rice cooks up wonderfully in the rice cooker. It's so easy -- measure out your rice and water (2 cups water for every 1 cup of rice) into the cooker pot. I sprinkle in about 1/2 t of olive oil. Plug it in, flip the switch and walk away for awhile.

I usually make extra so I have it in the fridge for a few days, but it's best fresh. I especially like short grain brown rices and the Lundberg brown rice mixes. The health food store by me also has a bulk brown rice mix which has lentils and beans in it, which I cook in my rice cooker too.

My rice cooker also has a steaming basket, which my kids love to make Chinese dumplings in.
Rif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #27  
Wishes I could be a cat!

S/C/G: 249/241/150

Height: 5'2

I have just started eating brown rice with my dinners. 1/2 c cooked. I use to eat potatoes every night but instead I eat brown rice now. I put the littlest bit of light soy sauce on it. (soy sauce on broccoli is good to!). I cooked it on the stove and it was still a bit hard. I heard cooking it in the over in awesome, but I really just think I need to buy a rice cooker, lol.
momto3kittiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #28  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Uncle Ben's brown rice, cheap rice steamer, plain. YUM
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #29  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

I already posted this recipe for Alton Brown's Baked Brown Rice under Food Talk and Fabulous Finds > Recipes > Breads and Grains

But I thought I would share it again here under Whole Foods Lifestyle

Baked Brown Rice

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain (I use long grain. It's fine.)
* 2 1/2 cups water
* 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (olive oil works great.)
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.

The original recipe is at the Food Network website.
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #30  

love brown rice! but any type of rice isnt excellent .. i usually substitute it with my sushi or any case i find myself eating rice.
crazyaboutgym is offline   Reply With Quote