3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   Nuts (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/178002-nuts.html)

Lilbert 07-31-2009 03:29 AM

Nuts

Ive decided to incorporate some nuts into my diet after avoiding them forever because of the fat/calorie content. i realise it is good fat (mono-unsaturated), but to me calories were calories non the less and i avoided them, but my opinion on the is starting to change on them i think they might be worth the calories. and also since switching to mainly wholefoods diet, ive been eating a lot less calories naturally, no empty calories. so i could incorporate them without doing any harm.
anyhow, my question is, which nuts do you all eat and why? and how much? i was thinking of going to almonds as theyre supposed to be the most nutritious nut, and maybe flax seeds.
thanks! :hug:

mayness 07-31-2009 08:50 AM

I eat any nuts that I like. :) Almonds are pretty widely regarded as the most healthy, but I can't stand them. I tend to like the nuts that are the most oily - cashews, pecans, and macadamia nuts are my favorites. I also like peanuts, but I prefer them lightly salted, so in the interest of not eating TOO much sodium I don't eat them all that often. I use pine nuts occasionally when cooking, but I can also eat those straight, I love those things. As for seeds, I eat sunflower seeds once in a while, mostly on salads.

MugCanDoIt 07-31-2009 09:41 AM

Oh how I would just love to jump into a swimming pool filled with nuts only, and just swim and eat! I love nuts!

JulieJ08 07-31-2009 10:15 AM

They're all good for you. I say start with what you like that best, and then start trying to introduce some variety.

kiramira 07-31-2009 09:54 PM

GOD I love 'em. Some ways to incorporate them?

Add a handful of chopped walnuts to your tuna salad.
Make pesto -- fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts, a bit of grated parmesan, salt, pepper
Salad: tossed greens with mandarin slices, almond slivers and raspberry viniagrette

MMMmmm, NUTS. I wanna join Ms Mug in that swimming pool...

:drool:

Kira

lottie63 07-31-2009 10:09 PM

I eat almonds, sunflower seeds and soy nuts.

sunflower and soy I put on my salad, almods I eat raw.

Mama K 08-01-2009 10:38 AM

But are they only healthy raw?

WaterRat 08-01-2009 01:53 PM

Walnuts are my favorites, I eat about 1/2-1 oz a day on my cereal. Pecans are also good, and cashews. Almonds, eh, I can take them or leave them.

pucedaisy 08-01-2009 11:36 PM

nuts are really good for you! I especially like walnuts- a source of omega-3 fatty acids. it's best not to cook them, which diminishes this, but you can toss them into cooked foods (stir fries, pasta, etc.) at the end of cooking.

In "The 12 Best Foods Cookbook" Dana Jacobi writes, "If you're still worried about fat and calories, consider this: In clinical studies where nuts replaced other foods, subjects lost weight and said they found the nuts helped them keep it off." (it doesn't say what foods the nuts replaced...)

I like them as a snack with an apple or pear. I love walnuts with parmesan cheese ( i don't indulge in this these days...)

I also like pumpkin seeds a lot, and throw them in salads or mix them with nuts and fruit in yogurt. sometimes i'll throw some nuts in a blender with a vinaigrette. walnut oil is also delicious- not cheap, but a drizzle of flavor goes a long way.

Thighs Be Gone 08-02-2009 10:38 AM

I do raw almonds on my morning breakfast. If I eat something else for breakfast, I incorporate them later in the day.

I also use ground flaxseed on my breakfast.

I very much agree with you--they are both worth the calories.

HeatherEljohari 08-02-2009 03:46 PM

Im a vegetarian so I use nuts alot in my diet. For protein and walnuts for omega 3s. They say you shouldnt eat to many coz of calories but I eat alot of nuts everyday and Im still loosing weight. So im tossed on the calorie thing. I love all nuts except im not to hot about pecans.

BKKchick 08-02-2009 03:50 PM

I'm definitely a nut nut:) I eat about 150 calories worth of walnuts and/or almonds everyday. I'm trying to branch out and eat some other types, too, like brazil nuts, which are high in Selenium.

Mama K 08-02-2009 05:34 PM

Is there any benefit to eating them if they aren't raw?

pucedaisy 08-02-2009 07:20 PM

sure, they are still healthy if they are not raw! they have protein, fiber, calcium, iron and lots of other vitamins and minerals. plus, they are delicious and very satisfying! they are high in calories, but they are nutrient dense no matter how you eat them. toasting nuts (carefully, so they don't burn) really brings out great flavor. i think a healthy diet means healthy, satisfying, interesting food with lots of flavor, texture and variety.
this is a goo link for nutritional info on all kinds of foods: http://www.nutritiondata.com/

CountingDown 08-02-2009 07:38 PM

Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds - YUM!
Walnuts
Cashews

are my three favorites.