For those who follow a whole food diet how much do you spend a wk on food?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • There are 3 of us and we spend 90 a week on food, but that includes some convenience and splurge items such as filet mignon that we had for dinner tonight YUM!!
  • I just learned that the amount of your grocery bills really depends on where you shop.

I was in Atlanta this weekend and I visited the Dekalb Farmer's Market....things were so much cheaper than my normal co-op or grocery store. Most of their veggies were 1.99 or less a pound and all of there fish and meats were dollars cheaper per pound then what I normally pay. However, the real difference was seen in the spice section. I bought five 1-cup round containers of loose spice mixtures for about $0.50 a piece. Yes, that cheap.

For the curious, I bought: regular Garam Masala, a Garam Masala mixture for meats, Hot Indian Curry, Chinese yellow curry, and hungarian sweet paprika. Did I mention that I love Indian food? lol.

Anyway, my point is that my normal grocery bill in Tallahassee is about $150-200 for 2 people per week. At the Dekalb Farmer's market, it would probably be reduced by at least $50 a week because of the difference in food costs. I really miss the farmer's market..
  • Quote: Anyway, my point is that my normal grocery bill in Tallahassee is about $150-200 for 2 people per week.
    Thank goodness someone's numbers are higher like mine. I was wondering what I was doing wrong to be so far off everyone else!
  • Digital, I live in atlanta and we do all of our produce shopping in that farmers market and those like it!! I love love love going there, its more fun to me to shop for food than clothes now!
  • Quote: This is an expensive contribution to the grocery bill. Not even x-lean ground beef. It's the naturally raised chicken (no antibiotics) and turkey that are so expensive. But they are the lean meats. *sigh*
    Oh goodness, yeah. Meat, eggs and dairy are the biggest expensive for us. I'm looking at getting organic, free range meat from a local farmer and that is going to cost me even more. I spend at least $400 a month for two of us, and he eats out quite often.
  • We have a family of four. My budget includes all household food/sundries expense--including gas and is $200 per week. If I really tried, I could probably drop it to $125. We eat tons of fresh produce and fish and eggs. Turkey is also one of our favorites. We do however, buy on sale. We eat what is in season and cheapest that week. I love summer!!! We do not eat red meat at all.

We rarely eat out but if we do, it also comes from above budget.
  • I have a daughter and she loves junk food..SO if I suffer everyone suffers..I think there should be a bummer sticker that says"oh mommy is doing other diet and we are all going to die" LOL

so far..I buy fresh food and stuff..I don't know how to cook lol..than I have to see online how to cook it..beets wtf..is not as bad..but I did lose 2 lbs this week and I have to say..I ordered slimforce7 and so far..will wait to get rip off like millions did.
    my list is apples.plums,banannas,oranges,spinch lettuce..all the crap you wish tasted better lol.

But..I have to say I spend more buying fresh..for some reason fruit is NOT CHEAP..nor veggies.less than 200 bucks and when I buy junk is 110 bucks.I used to be 115 lbs before I had my daughter and gained weight bc..of stress/work blah blah..than I hit my mark 145 lbs..and my goal is to lose it even If I have to die trying lol jk..
  • men7al - do you have an asian market in your vicinity? We are lucky to have quite a few good ones and I can tell you that produce is cheap. It is not unusual for me to buy tons of fruits and veggies for under $20.
  • ditto nelie...

I buy whatever produce is on sale. There is always something in season, nice looking and pretty cheap. My favorite? Maybe not. Healthy all the same.
  • Agreeing as well that if you buy what is not only in season but on sale you can really come within budget. For example- blueberries are touted as wonder fruit, but at least in Southern California they are at best $2.50/small basket, which is one serving. Watermelons can be had for $4/decent sized one and yield 20 servings. When I see neighbors with fruit trees (in So Cal that is very common), I offer to trade a plate of cookies maybe for some picking. Usually they are not even using much and say "just take some". I get my limes and lemons this way. Also having a good knife and learning a few basics can take you a long way. Buy a bigger piece of cheap lean meat (for beef something like top round or eye of round), slice up in cooking portions and freeze for future. Granted if you are going organic or grass fed it is harder, but remember the grocery store butchers are mostly union- don't pay $50/hr for a few minutes of cutting. I totally agree on the Asian markets- though organic is not even a concept there. Farmers Markets if you shop selectively can get you organic cheaper.

BUT........the BIGGEST problem is buying stuff you do not effectively use. Planning is key, making soups out of veggies before they go limp or pre-cooking them (simmer in broth or just water) will allow you to toss them in food and keep their best qualities; slicing and freezing fruits before they get over soft, etc
  • I don't buy meat either. Knocking that out of the grocery bill really reduces the cost.
  • I spend $125 - $150 a week for a family of five, but my kids are fairly young. 10, 5, and 2. I love getting produce and eggs from the farmers market, but I mostly shop at Trader Joes or a big chain store.