Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2

Default Embarrassing Question about Beets...

Ok..I really wasn't sure where else to post this and I hope that someone else might be able to sympathize with me...

So I found a beautiful bundle of fresh beets at my local co-op this week. I took them home and debated on how to cook them, but in the end I didn't want to lose the natural yumminess of the beets so I decided to simply roast them and serve the slices on top of a green salad with some good quality gorgonzola. Yes, the salad was like heaven in my mouth, so that isn't the problem...lol.

The problem came the next morning when I had my normal *ahem* bowel movement. It was bright red and freaked me out beyond belief. Now I have recently been dealing with some mild health problems and this was just another issue that practically had me running to the emergency room. I remembered the beets and decided to wait it out. But, I ate the salad on Friday and it is now sunday and my poo is still dyed red. It probably doesn't help that I ate a handful of blueberries today. *facepalm*

Anyway, my question is: Has anyone else experienced this problem and about how long does it last? Feel free to laugh, because I find the situation hilarious, but I would like to know about how long the beets can continue to torment my mild hypochondria...lol.
digitalrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

it's totally normal for a few days! it freaked me out the first time too...not sure HOW long it should last, but i'd give it a few more days before panic should set in
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Yup, I'd say it's the beets. It shouldn't last more that a couple days though (unless you eat more beets.)

The same thing happens to me, as does the funny smelling urine when I eat asparagus or drink coffee.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #4  

Good to know that I'm probably not suffering from a sudden onset of internal bleeding... I do have some pickled beets in the fridge, but I think that I'm going to stay away from the beets and even the blueberries for couple of days and see if it clears up. I've never had this kind of reaction to beets before, but I've never eaten almost 4 whole beets by myself before either...
Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I eat blueberries almost every day and have never experienced it....

I have never eaten beats--well, more than a couple at a time..I am sure that's what caused it though

I did eat a bunch of V. Day cookies once and my poop was pink for probably 4 days
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Caution TMI alert:

It's common, but not universal for beets to turn urine/feces red. Some people will and some people won't experience this effect.

The color comes from a pigment called "betacyanin," in beets and many other red or purple foods. Some people don't metabolize or fully metabolize the pigment and thus, cn color urine or feces red or pink. The amount of color can vary according to whether or how quickly the betacyanin is metabolised, so a person who doesn't usually "see red," may if they eat a larger quantity.

It's perfectly harmless, and usually quite distinct from blood. It's usually not blood red (brown red), but a brighter pink or fuchsia red. Even if it were blood, a bright blood red color (more red than brown) is usually a sign of surface bleeding (from hemorrhoids or minor scratches and tears), generally a minor problem. However, if the color is dark red or maroon, or black and tarry (like coffee grounds), that is a much more serious sign.

Here's a more thorough explanation:
http://www.medicinenet.com/rectal_bleeding/symptoms.htm
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:47 AM   #7  

Continuing the TMI:

kaplods, it was definitely like a fuchsia. In fact, when I first noticed it, the water in the toilet bowl was dyed pinkish, so that probably means that my urine color was pink. Now, that would've freaked me out if I hadn't attributed it to the feces. Now it is more like my poo kinda 'radiates' the fuchsia color in to the bowl around it. It seems to be gradually going away though.

Some produce should come with warning labels..lol.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:14 AM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, and just to add to the TMI - I once took a series of yoga classes from a guy who claimed that beets were good for hemorrhoids - that is, to help clear them up. WHo knows if he was right.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:41 AM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
as does the funny smelling urine when I eat asparagus
I actually went to the doctor about that once, long before I knew asparagus could make your pee smell weird.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

It's definitely the beets. I always say, if you want to test how long it's taking things to go through your digestive tract, eat some beets!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalrequiem View Post
Continuing the TMI:

kaplods, it was definitely like a fuchsia. In fact, when I first noticed it, the water in the toilet bowl was dyed pinkish, so that probably means that my urine color was pink. Now, that would've freaked me out if I hadn't attributed it to the feces. Now it is more like my poo kinda 'radiates' the fuchsia color in to the bowl around it. It seems to be gradually going away though.

Some produce should come with warning labels..lol.

LOL, I can relate. When it first happened to me (after discovering that I liked beets, after not having eaten beets since being forced to as a child - and even then never more than one beet at a time - house rules were you had to take at least one morsel of all foods offered), there was no mistaking it for blood (the toilet water was dyed a neon day-glow pink), but I didn't think about the beets at all. So, suspecting blood would have at least been a reasonable explanation, but instead I wondered what bizarre metabolic or health disorder could cause neon pink urine.

Imagine my surprise when I searched online for causes of pink urine, and found "beets" listed (I felt like a complete idiot).

Last edited by kaplods; 06-08-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #12  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
It's definitely the beets. I always say, if you want to test how long it's taking things to go through your digestive tract, eat some beets!
I have read about using beets to test one's "throughput." I forget the amount of time but if your poop wasn't red it meant that you definitely are in need of more fiber in your diet or a better diet in general.

It goes to show you that being full of s--- is never a good thing.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #13  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizski View Post
I have an ex-boyfriend who can't help being that way. It's his personality.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizski View Post
I have read about using beets to test one's "throughput." I forget the amount of time but if your poop wasn't red it meant that you definitely are in need of more fiber in your diet or a better diet in general.

That wouldn't be a good indicator for everyone, as my understanding is that whether or not you will see any red (eventually) has nothing to do with your fiber intake. Some people can digest the pigment fully, and others cannot. Now if you're someone who cannot, you could use the pink to "clock" digestion, but if you don't see any red, there's nothing wrong with you.

I believe the numbers are 1/3 and 2/3, but I don't remember if it is 1/3 who can digest the pigment completely (and wouldn't see any red) or 1/3 who can't (and thus could use the pink for a digestive "test").

Last edited by kaplods; 06-09-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #15  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalrequiem View Post
Now it is more like my poo kinda 'radiates' the fuchsia color in to the bowl around it.
LOL4R!

I've had the pinks from beets before, too.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote