Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

The occasional serving of chips, although I do avoid ones with with weird ingredients, just corn or potatoes and oil please!

Some condiments (pickled limes are my current favorite.)

I do buy "convenience foods" that I could make for myself, but I buy ones that contain the same ingredients that I would use, like plain yogurt, some whole grain breads, whole wheat pasta, etc.

I also have junk-y food occasionally at parties. Not much portion wise, but since it's so rare I don't feel guilty about it.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #17  

Height: 5'8.5"

Sounds like a great, balanced plan, Zenor!

Has anyone had veggie pakora? I get them from PCC but they are deep fried so I eat only a very small portion... not to mention they are $16 a pound yikes. I am thinking of looking up a recipe on the net and seeing if I can make some and bake them. Also maybe for falafel
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
Has anyone had veggie pakora? I get them from PCC but they are deep fried so I eat only a very small portion... not to mention they are $16 a pound yikes.
Mmmm. I had an Indian friend make them for me at her home once. We ate them fresh as she made them. But I don't have a recipe. Sorry!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #19  

Thanks Julie. Actually I just went online and found a recipe. I don't cook much but might give them a try; they seem pretty easy.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #20  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I think Trader Joe's sells them as well. There are certain things I will try but other things that kind of scare me. Pakora seems scary to me
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

It's actually pretty delicious - I haven't tried Trader Joe's version, but they are generally available for starters at Indian restaurants. I absolutely adore Indian food! (I don't generally order pakora though, due to my own personal rules about fried foods - that doesn't mean they aren't super tasty, my favorite are the onion ones).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #22  
Just Me

Oh I should say I'm not scared of eating it, I've had them many years ago in an Indian restaurant, but making certain things scare me I tend to avoid making things that require any sort of precision.

I adore Indian food as well and I'm flip flopping over going to a full veggie Indian restaurant for my birthday or going to a Burmese restaurant with a large veggie selection.

Last edited by nelie; 05-21-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #23  
Working My Way Back Down

Welcom back Misti!

I love Indian food, but have never had pakora, now I'll have to look for it. We have only 1 or 2 Indian places around here, but when we're on vacation we'll look for them. When I worked in downtown Seattle 10 years ago there was a Pakistani place you could get yummmy lunches. Not particularly calorie-friendly, but family made and GOOD.

For me, the non-whole things are for the most part condiments: mustard, mayo (olive oil base), ketchup, salsa (though the closet to whole I can find without making my own). Oh, and I get lf sour cream and cottage cheese. I avoid artifical sweetners as I don't like the chemical flavor, and aspertame gives me headaches.

Nelie - what an awful choice to have to make
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #24  
Just Me

Pat - there is a pakistani place near our house and the food there is good
Old 05-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #25  

Hi everybody... and thanks, Pat. Nice to see you still around here!

Funny things I don't generally like Indian food... or rather it does not like me. But I do like the Pakora -- the recipe for them baked does not look that hard so perhaps I will give them a try.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #26  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Hormel's new line of less-processed lunchmeats. Sometimes a salad just wants a layer of meat! I'm phasing out of boxed cereals, but sometimes I like a bowl of Go Lean Crunch or Cheerios. Original shredded wheat is pretty good too, but I'm a'fearing a gluten sensitivity. Will know in a couple of weeks, and that could eliminate a whole lot more stuff. And yes, the Laughing Cow Lite cheese! Fastest way to short circuit a late-afternoon tummy grumble!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #27  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Has anyone tried the crackers from Food Should Taste Good? They're all natural and have wonderfully short and readable ingredients lists, but super tasty. Yesterday I made myself a mackerel salad (canned mackerel, garlic, pumpkin seeds and a little mustard) and scooped it up with the multigrain chips... heavenly.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drina View Post
Has anyone tried the crackers from Food Should Taste Good? They're all natural and have wonderfully short and readable ingredients lists, but super tasty. Yesterday I made myself a mackerel salad (canned mackerel, garlic, pumpkin seeds and a little mustard) and scooped it up with the multigrain chips... heavenly.
I've never heard of them - what store did you find them at?

Sounds great - I love crunch.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #29  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Julie, I get them at the local co-op, but I've seen them at a few other chain grocers. Here's the website:

http://www.foodshouldtastegood.com/#/home/

I'm telling you, they are so delicious!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #30  

Ah, I have such a visual memory, I remember now!

I had the chocolate ones - they have a selection of them at a health food type store near me. I thought they sounded so interesting, but wasn't thrilled with them. But I bet the MultiGrain flavor is really good.

definitely still a treat kind of thing. But if I'm going to have chips ...

I want to try the Sweet Potato flavor.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 05-22-2009 at 06:24 PM.