Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I forgot a very important fruit - avocado! 'nough said!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #17  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I definitely wasn't fat because of the less than 1 granny smith apple I ate per week as part of my old lifestyle.
Come on now, let's not forget those deadly whole grains, oatmeal apparently plays just as big of a role in the obesity epidemic as apples do
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #18  
Ija
Extra gluten

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
chili spiced dried mango, dried apricots as a snack. And a good mango smoothie makes it hard to miss ice cream.
Where do you get chili spiced dried mango?? Or do you make it? That sounds heavenly! I'm a huge fan of dried mango myself... I've found that a few pieces of dried mango, a square of dark chocolate and a nice artisan IPA make for a fantastic dessert (when you can afford the calories!)
Old 04-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drina View Post
Where do you get chili spiced dried mango?? Or do you make it? That sounds heavenly! I'm a huge fan of dried mango myself... I've found that a few pieces of dried mango, a square of dark chocolate and a nice artisan IPA make for a fantastic dessert (when you can afford the calories!)
I got it at Trader Joe's. Actually, it's seasoned with cayenne and paprika, and I'm not a huge fan of paprika, so I'm on the hunt now for a version with just the cayenne or at least a different chili powder. I may also try making some. But it's a really tasty combo.

I like it, because I'm a hot & spice lightweight, so it really slows me down. Otherwise, dried mango and me is a bad mix
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #20  
Ija
Extra gluten

I feel like the only person without a Trader Joes It's one of the things I miss most from Cleveland... that, and Target! There are TONS of whole foods stores and coops here, but none with the specialty products I always bought from TJs...

The sacrifices we make for our careers...
Old 04-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #21  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love all fruits, great and small. I used to not care for apples but I've become more of an apple lover. I mostly eat fruits by themselves.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Try as we might, man just cannot touch Mother Nature.
I agree with this! There are so many complexities in fruits and vegetables that just can't be mimicked in a lab. I don't like taking man made vitamins. I'll stick to real foods. I also add in spirulina and Chlorella to make sure I'm getting all that I need.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #23  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

..sort of on the same note, I am looking for pomegranite seeds--anyone know where to buy???
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #24  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Pomegranate is out of season right now. Are you talking about dried seeds?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I bought some frozen pomegranate seeds and was SO disappointed. They basically fell apart to mush when they defrosted. I was so excited I could have my favorite pomegranate seed salad all year round!

Pomegranates are in season in January. This year I was so lazy, I bought the seeds packaged from Trader Joe's instead of seeding my own.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennsreadytolose View Post
Though I've never tried star fruit or dragon fruit, what do those taste like?
Star fruit tastes like a mild citrus to me. It's really really pretty, but it doesn't taste as good as it looks (to me). It's great for a fancy dinner party to top a salad! Dragon fruit looks AWESOME. I got one in Singapore but I don't recall being overly impressed. White insides, lots of seeds - bland and pear-like, if I remember correctly.

Just to be contrary - I loathe fresh papaya and passionfruit. Dried papaya is okay, but I hate passionfruit flavored anything!

I also love chili-lime mango Check your grocery store for a non-paprika version? My grocery store sells dried chili mango (and dried chili pineapple!) in the produce section.

Last edited by Glory87; 04-15-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #27  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
..sort of on the same note, I am looking for pomegranite seeds--anyone know where to buy???
I see them at Whole Foods in the "prepped" section of the produce... you know that wall where you can get a container of watermelon or mixed fruit? Look for pre-packed pom seeds there. I've seen them there out of season... but be warned, they are also a little pricey.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #28  
Working My Way Back Down

Glory, I agree about starfruit, sure is pretty though!

I love pineapple and blueberries, followed by apples, kiwi, bananas, pears, tangerines and cantaloupe. I don't care much for any other melons, and I have a "bad experience" adversion to watermelon.

We went to Costa Rica in 2007, and had awesome tropical fruit. Cantaloupe that melted in your mouth, pineapple that was better than that in Hawaii, varieties of bananas we never see in the states.

Whole grain are an important element in a balanced diet! Grains get a bad rap because they're made into processed stuff that has more chemicals than food. I love oatmeal, brown rice, ww pasta, etc.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I too love bananas cooked into my oatmeal! Yumm!!!!

I LOVE fresh cranberries cooked in orange juice and a can of crushed pineapple added to it! Like a dessert!!

I feel absolutely passionate about mango (in any form...dried, fresh, frozen)

I eat an apple every night before I go to bed...it really must keep the doctor away because I rarely get sick!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #30  
WorkingOut!

S/C/G: 217/180/145

Height: 5'5"

mmmmmmm love strawberries, bananas, oranges, apples! It's all good! More into blueberries than I was when I was younger....
diary is offline   Reply With Quote