so what's your favorite hummus?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Seems like hummus and veggies would make a good whole foods snack for late afternoon.

so i was looking for some good hummus recipes that anyone might have.
    or premade brands, with no additives or preservatives.

what kind of veggies do you like to serve with it?

• I make it with

chickpeas
    tahini
    lemon juice
    fresh mashed garlic
    salt

All to taste. I personally like it really garlicy and lemony

I like to eat it with carrots and celery mostly or broccoli!
  • I like sabra!
  • Any of the store brands always taste a little icky to me. I like making it fresh or some restaurants have really good hummus.

Veggies for hummus:
    Celery
    Carrots
    bell pepper strips
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    cabbage - making a little roll with hummus and other veggies is good
  • I prefer homemade, too. My favorite pre-made hummus comes from a local middle-eastern deli ... it's the best!

I have mine with carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers, celery. I also dip pita bread in it, or use it as a spread on pita or on a regular sandwich bread instead of mayo.
  • I LOVE hummus! I make my own!

1 1/2-2 cups garbanzo beans (1 can)
    1/4 cup tahini
    Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon
    4-6 cloves of garlic
    salt to taste
    cayenne pepper to taste

Blitz it all in a food processor and add some bean cooking liquid (or liquid from the can--I cook my own) to get it to the consistency you like.

If I'm making it for company, I sometimes add a couple Tablespoons of olive oil, but for everyday hummus I leave it out.

I've never found a store brand that I like.
  • I love hummus. There is a take out restaurant right around the corner from me that makes their own, it is so good and all they use is just what everyone is saying, the chick peas, tahini, garlic, and lemon juice, they also add chopped olives. I am going to start making my own, it's cheaper.
  • I rarely find a commercial hummus that suits me because most are kind of fluffy. I like a very rich, dense hummus, so I make my own
  • Love Joseph's Cilantro Hummus
    I use Joseph Brand (New Hampshire) Cilantro Hummus.

Have it daily as an afternoon snack with tea and one loaf pita bread, toasted.

Just love it.

Hoping some day to get my act together to make my own. I got the tahini. Got the garbanzos (dried and canned). Got the oil etc. Just haven't done it.

Maybe this summer when the cilantro from the garden is here.
  • I've never had hummus before, I don't know why. Lately I've expanded my taste to include veggies & beans I've never eaten and I like chickpeas but I've never tried hummus. Its on my list of things to do in 2009, I like the idea of making my own rather than buying it.
  • I LOVE Trader Joe's Spicy Hummus!
  • Quote: I like sabra!
    Another vote for Sabra here. I've never tasted one that even comes close to this. In fact before I tasted Sabra, I didn't even like hummus. Sabra changed that.
  • I tried TJ hummus today. the tahini free.
    it's a big tub and was $4.69 or something like that.
    pretty good!
    and i used red bell peppers as the dipping substance.
    quite a good snack if i do say.
  • roasted pepper humus with jalepeno. yum!
  • I am enjoying the red pepper hummus from trader joe's this week!! It's delish! I had a black bean hummus once, and I have never been able to find it since or to make one that made me happy. I wish I could find it again.