Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/163/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Help me eat better while sick

I think I have a tad bit of stomach flu, only it's just nausea that's lasted several days. My usual high fiber eating isn't really working for me while I'm feeling this way. And since it's the holidays, I find myself munching on cookies more than I want.

What kind of foods would help me while I'm feeling so bad, foods that don't involve refined carbs or a lot of fiber.
IngridonWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #2  

Soup and tea! It's the only thing I ever feel like when I'm sick. Clear broth and when you feel up to it, a few noodles and veggies in it.

Ginger and garlic can be good medicine when you're sick!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #3  
=D

What k8 said - fluids, ginger and garlic. Soups with veggies and chicken are a great option. Try to stay away from wheat and dairy products.

Organic veggies, whole grains and lean meats - basically what you'd aim to eat normally. Try to get in heaps of veggies - I know they always make me feel great when I have a stomach flu.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #4  
Getting my Halle bod! :)

Height: short stack

I don't have any advice aside from what others have already mentioned, but I hope you feel better soon!
butterflygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #5  

I third soup and would add pureed soups like spinach or butternut squash with some cottage cheese stirred in. They just make me feel healthy and can turn my body around.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:08 AM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

For the stomach flu, I think you want to be following the BRAT diet--bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. You want foods that are easily digested and that aren't the least bit spicy. You definitely want to stay away from anything acidic--including anything that is tomato-based and anything with citrus. I would also be careful about eating even lean meats--they are definitely a problem for me when I have the stomach flu. I can usually tolerate cream of wheat, but you do have to be careful with anything that has a lot of fiber because it is hard to digest. I'm also not sure dairy is a good idea. And you probably want to stay away from veggies that tend to cause gas, like broccoli or beans--that's probably not going to go over well on an upset stomach.

I know that when I've had the stomach flu, even if I have it for less than 24 hours, it is sometimes two or three weeks before I can eat normally. You really have to reintroduce your regular foods very gradually.

One thing I found that can really help is drinking aloe vera juice or gel. You can find it at health food stores.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote