Whole Toasted Buckwheat

• We're doing some renovations and I had to empty out a cupboard. In the container with other dried grain things, I found a little bag of kasha.
    Any ideas?
    I can't remember what I thought I was going to do with it.
  • I don't know, but tell us what you think when you cook it. I wanna know!
  • Hm, the only time I've ever had kasha is in kasha varnishkes at a kosher restaurant in Boston. It's a dish with kasha, bowtie pasta, onions, chicken broth and some vegetable oil. There might be some other things in it, but you can probably easily find tons of recipes online for it.
  • kasha (buckwheat groats) makes a really good pilaf. first you saute the kasha with a beaten egg (i dont see why you couldnt use egg substitute or egg white if so inclined), or even skip the egg- you just have to sort of toast/saute the kasha a little bit til you can smell it all toasty. it is very earthy tasting- goes well with onions, mushrooms, etc. i think if i were making some today i would saute some onions til brownish, add kasha and saute til the kasha seems dry/smells toasty, then add some broth and cook for a pilaf. serve with roasted meats or veggies. i might go buy some today!