Crash Hot Potatoes

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I just found this recipe on the Pioneer Woman website and ohmygod, it looks so good!

Crash Hot Potatoes

Ingredients
    New potatoes (or other small round potatoes)
    Olive oil
    Kosher salt
    Black pepper
    Rosemary (or desired herbs)

Directions
    Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add as many potatoes as desired and cook until fork tender.

On a sheet pan, drizzle olive oil (or spray with PAM). Place tender potatoes on cookie sheet leaving plenty of room between each potato.

With a potato masher, gently press down on each potato until it slightly mashes. Rotate the masher 90 degrees and mash again. Brush the tops of each potato lightly with olive oil (or spray with PAM).

Sprinkle potatoes with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and fresh chopped rosemary (or chives or thyme or whatever).

Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

scrumptious pics
  • I LOVE making this. It's so simple yet so amazingly delicious.
  • I've made a version of this recipe for many years and they are sooooo good! The recipe I was given had a lot of oil in them but I found, like your recipe, that you just don't need that much. I also use garlic powder on mine but I think anything goes.

The other good things to remember are that first, you don't need the new potatoes. If they're not available, any size will do, just cut them into quarters before boiling.

Also, the version I had, used the boiling pot to smash the potatoes up a bit. After boiling, drain the potatoes and put them back into the pot and just shake them around fairly hard. They break up and smash up a bit and these are the parts that get really yummy and crispy in the oven.

I've used both methods and it's all good no matter which way you go!

• Sounds yummy, thanks for posting it!
  • Absolutely yummy.....even did a version with whole mustard...still yummy

my husbands thanks you for reminding me about potatoes!Simple is good.
  • Wow! Those look delish! Thanks!
  • Wow! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • That looks yummy! Thanks for posting.
  • We make these a LOT ... they're yummy. And if you do use the small red potatos, you can actually eat 3/4 of them for one single serving.

• Can this be done with a sweet potato or yam?
  • kitty - I've done it with sweet potatoes. Pretty good.

The red potatoes are even better though.
  • Oh man those sound sooooooo gooooooood! How am I suppose to control myself and lose weight eating these things .

Yea, I know, it's all about moderation and NO butter
  • Made these tonight, and they were amazing! I don't eat potatoes very often (we're pasta/couscous and rice lovers) but I'll definitely be making these again. I didn't even use anything special to season them, just some dried "all-purpose seasoning."
  • I made these 2 nights ago.

Thanks Glory for this very easy, incredible recipe. They were simply divine!!
    I used mini dutch butter potatoes that I got from Trader Joe's.
    It tasted so decadent...I used a spray garlic olive oil that I picked up at TJ Maxx's. It didn't need much oil at all!
    So yummy!!
  • Made these and the whole family loved them!! THANKS
    Think I will try Zeffryn's idea and try it with the sweet
    potatoes next..yummy!