Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

Default Freezing Yogurt: Same Use By Date?

I buy big containers of plain yogurt for the family and Gogurt tubes for the children. Whenever either of them gets near date, they go in the freezer. (Well, the bulk goes into an ice cube tray first!) The bulk gets used in smooties and I use the Gogurt tubes as popsicles. Well, last night, I was using one of the Gogurt tubes and it says "use within seven days of sell by date even if frozen". What? I've always thought of freezing as the magic extender of shelf life. Is it not so with yogurt? Should I not be using my yogurt cubes in smoothies either?
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

The sell by date is not relevant if you freeze it. Freezing extends the life of anything (obviously some things freeze better than others ). The sell by dates are mostly set to avoid being sued by the manufacturers. Seriously. Sell by dates are nothing more than VERY general guidelines.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 07-31-2008 at 07:13 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/190/140-160

Height: 5'5"

I only buy the stoneyfield or horizon tubes for teh kids (Last time I checked, the gogurt tubes have HFCS and food dyes that we avoid). But I put them straight into teh freezer, and then put them frozen into their lunch box or cooler for an outing. By the time it's time to eat, the have defrostes some, and have added some chill to teh cooler. Anyway, I've never even looked at the date, I'm sure some of ours have "expired", but they have all tasted perfect!
tigerchic89 is offline   Reply With Quote