Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/266/143

Height: 5'6"

Talking I'm stunned so far! (SuperFoods w/ PCOS)

So I started a week ago focusing on SuperFoods after reading the book (thanks Glory87!). I have been putting more thought into my food choices and considering their "nutritional power."

Results so far -- SEVEN DAYS in, I have lost SIX pounds and "Aunt Flow" made her first visit in nearly two years.

I thought I could never lose weight on anything but Atkins or other boring low-carb diets since I have PCOS, but so far I have been totally wrong. I stocked my kitchen with produce and other clever foods from Trader Joe's. My life also requires me to eat out often as I travel extensively. I had several meals "out" this week and it was surprisingly easy. I just focused on selecting the entree that included the most powerful foods and it was easy.

It's easier for me alone on a business trip to make better choices when eating out, but I felt a war could be started over the intense cravings my fiance gets 2-3 times a week for the asian buffet. Well, I got to face my fear this weekend as my fiance started insisting on the the asian buffet. Instead of running for the Sweet N Sour Pork, General Tso's Chicken, and fried rice like I usually would, I took my time and enjoyed a very nice selection of fresh fruit (kiwi, strawberries, pineapple, etc), cucumber and tomato salad, and some yummy sashimi. It was a very colorful plate with the tuna and salmon sashimi. I actually felt proud of myself leaving the place. I would normally walk out of there with indigestion, heartburn, and lethargy, and instead, I was chipper. There was such a noticeable difference between my fiance and I, he was still suffering with heartburn 5 hours later and said to me "Sweetie, don't let me eat the chinese buffet again. It always makes me feel miserable. I just don't know why I always want it so bad."

I can't wait to see what the scale is going to say after a full month.

EDIT -- Sorry --The main book is Superfoods RX by Steven Pratt. There are also some companion "SuperFoods" books like SuperFoods RX Diet and SuperFoods RX Healthstyle. I just read the main book (Google Book preview link below):

Google Book Preview
JetSet1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #2  

congrats on your sucess!!
i don't have PCOS (i think), but i have ALL the symptoms...which book did you read?
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #3  
Good Charlotte fan !!

S/C/G: 184.2/176/135

Height: 5 foor 1 inch.

Please tell us all the title of the book and it's author.

Big congrats are in order !!! What a great start. Having your cycle after 2 years absence is wonderful, looks like the eating plan for you !!!

FairyVickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

The book is Superfoods RX and it is a really good book.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91330

Last edited by nelie; 07-29-2008 at 03:15 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/190/145

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations! That is wonderful and must be so encouraging for you. Keep up the good work!
waterski chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I don't have PCOS, but whole foods has sure affected my cycle; well, I'm sure it's also affected by the increased activity, and eventually the actual weight I've lost. But the first 2 months it was only 25 days, then 23 days, and now 22 days. The incredible shrinking cycle But the flow is lighter and the cramps less, so I guess that's worth it. Better not keep getting shorter, I want my 28 days back
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Hey JetSet, how are the whole foods / super foods going?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/266/143

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Hey JetSet, how are the whole foods / super foods going?
Just finding this old thread. I fell off the wagon after about 12lbs like I have with every other attempt I have made to lose weight and gained it all back because I have no willpower. I slipped into a depression with no end in sight. I lost my fiance I mentioned in the original post 7 months ago and I'm a recluse now. My new years resolution for 2010 is to put a bullet in my head on Jan 1, 2011, if I'm still living this way a year from now.
JetSet1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #9  
No description available.

Oh, I'm sorry, Jetset. Are you seeing a counselor?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

So sorry, also, JetSet. 2nd the advice about the counselor. And also want to introduce you to the books by Judith Beck. Her books stress that dieting skills are more important than the diet. We fail because not from lack of willpower, but because it takes skills that we have never been taught to succeed at this difficult task. Strategy is more important than willpower.

EDIT: Also, there's a group of us under the General Diet Questions and Plans with a thread for following the Beck guidelines. Come join us!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 01-07-2010 at 12:49 PM.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote