Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #16  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I have never had a jar crack or break but a couple of my friends have
And what a mess it is too! Basically means you have to dump out your whole boiling water pot and start again - never mind that you lost a whole jar of what you're canning! Using canning jars helps. You should never use old mayonnaise or other commercial jars for canning.

And Chey mentioned the extension service. I know the one here offers classes in canning, and will also test your pressure canner. They're a great resource if there's one near you. They used to give away a lot of information, now they charge, but it's reasonable.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 204/204/150

Height: 5' 10"

Thank you all for the fantastic tips & guidance!
I'm going to pick up the Ball Blue Book this weekend to read through it.

I bought some wide mouth canning jars last year when a friend of ours made homemade pickels, so I have two shy of a dozen Ball jars in the basement waiting to be filled!

Our local garden center is having a half off all plants to close the season, so I'm heading over this week to pick up the pepper plants I've been thinking about!

I'm excited to give canning a shot this year - even my mom wants in too!

Thank you again - I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!
AngieH75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

Just another note.... you can't reuse the seals, but you can reuse the rings. When you are done, and you are sure that the jar has sealed (you will hear a pop or can push your finger down in the center of the seal and there is no up & down action) you can store the jar without the ring!

Pat - I know of a lot of 'old timers' who have reused old mayo jars... you are 100% right - do not use them! I take it you had a jar break?

Angie - yum.. peppers! I freeze mine and then just thaw them in a small colander with room temp water when I want to use them in omelets, soups, chilies or spaghetti.
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #19  
Working My Way Back Down

Chey - I've had a couple of canning jars break over the years. I've never used non-canning jars, but I know a woman who does, and has given me stuff in them. She doesn't get them back.....
Old 06-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

I have had those given to me as well. I hate to say this, but I don't trust those at all and I end up dumping the stuff out and throwing the jar away. I just worry about how safe the food is. I do let the person know about food safety, etc - but then the response usually is - "I have eaten food for years preserved in those old mayo jars.. lol - never got sick from it!"
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #21  

Default any recipes for jam using natural sweetner

I was wondering if theres any recipes for canning jam without all that sugar and no artificial sweetners
cabincreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #22  
Working My Way Back Down

Sure-jell makes a pectin that requires way less sugar than regular jam/jelly. And I've made it with even less than they call for. It works better with fruit that has more natural pectin. Occasionally you'll end up with syrup.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

I use a product called "Pomona's Pectin", which allows you to make jams & jellies w/o much, if any, sugar. This pectin uses the calcium naturally occurring in the fruit itself, for the jelling. It's a low methoxyl type pectin, and includes a separate packet of calcium (monocalcium phosphate), for the fruits lower in calcium. I have had very good luck using it to make jams and preserves (I don't often make jellies). I purchase it directly from the company, but have seen it sold at natural food stores.

www.pomonapectin.com
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:03 AM   #24  

Thanks for the info.I never heard of pomona's pectin.I will have to look for it.
Chey how do you make syrup with fruit?
cabincreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #25  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

This is awesome! Thanks for all the helpful info. I have wanted to get into canning/preserving my own foods for a long time. This has been a great help! I look forward to trying all these tips out.
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #26  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

There is also a book out there named Will It Freeze? It has a ton of info. More Make Your Own Groceries helps, too.

Once you can or freeze your own tomatoes, you will have wonderful sauces all year round.

If you'd like, I'll tell you a bedtime story about our smoked trout sometime.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote