3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   Opinions about Dark Chocolate Dreams, please (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/143533-opinions-about-dark-chocolate-dreams-please.html)

4myloves 06-10-2008 04:30 PM

Opinions about Dark Chocolate Dreams, please

Yep, I figured anything about DARK CHOCOLATE would get me some views :s:

I bought this stuff called Dark Chocolate Dreams which is made by Peanut Butter & Co. It's "peanut butter blended with rich dark chocolate" (and you're wondering how many times I'm gonna say "chocolate," huh?).

Here's the nutritional info. for one serving (2 Tbsp.)

cal: 170
cal from fat: 110
Total fat: 13g
sat fat: 2.5g
trans fat: 0g
cholest: 0mg
sodium: 35mg
total carb: 12g
dietary fiber: 2g
sugars: 7g
protein: 6g

Ingredients are: peanuts, evaporated cane juice, cocoa, cocoa butter, organic palm oil, vanilla, lecithin (form soy), salt

No hydrogenated oil, gluten free, no refined sugar.

It tastes wonderful, which makes me think I don't need to be eating it. I'm not sure that it's really a "whole" food at all, and I'm not sure that's necessarily what I'm striving for at this point. I'd just like some feedback as far as the ingredients, nutrition, etc.

(p.s. I had some today for a snack spread on 100% whole grain bread. My name for my new snack is poo (actually I called it something else) on a shingle :) )

Onsecondthought 06-10-2008 05:56 PM

OMG!!! I am absolutely in love with this stuff. It's definitely not something that should be on my diet as it's basically chocolate and peanuts, but I think it's a lot "healthier" than most other peanut butters out there and it has less sugar than some I've seen. Whole Foods carries the whole line...Dark Chocolate Dreams is my favorite, but the Cinnamon Raisin is definitely a very close second!!!

ANOther 06-10-2008 06:53 PM

Lovely! :yes: Spread it as thinly as you can to minimize the calorie load, although @ 170 cal it's lower than most other pb's

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onsecondthought (Post 2220131)
Whole Foods carries the whole line

They do?? I'll have to check them out, I'd like to try Mighty Maple (I got DCD at the supermarket a couple of blocks from my house, and a Super Target a short drive away had some of the other flavors but I haven't seen MM @ either place *yet*)

HIJACK 4myself, "[poo] on a shingle" is the classic Army nickname for creamed chipped beef on toast: Stouffer's has that, one serving is I think <200 cal (maybe just the poo, not the shingle) but the package is 2.5 servings END HIJACK

Onsecondthought 06-10-2008 07:08 PM

If you can't find it at the store, it's available on-line. Just check out their website....ilovepeanutbutter.com. I've tried the dark chocolate and the raisin. Both are fabulous!! The raisin one has an interesting texture as it's a bit "grainy" but wonderful nonetheless. I have yet to try the savory one though and I'm not a fan of white chocolate.

4myloves 06-11-2008 09:20 AM

I didn't even realize there WERE any other flavors--yesterday was the 1st time I'd even seen the DCD!! I use only one tablespoon/slice of whole wheat bread, for a total of 190 calories (I round up :) ). Man it's some kind of good!

ANOther--I knew I'd heard that somewhere before :o It sure does fit this, though! Looks just like a baby diaper! :lol:

ANOther 06-29-2008 12:53 PM

bump 06.29: I got out to the nearest Whole Foods to me yesterday: all they had were Smooth Operator, Crunch Time, DCD, White Chocolate Wonderful and the cinnamon-raisin one. (It is a smaller store though: on the 4th I'll get out to a larger branch which is a little further away and see if they have the maple flavor.) I also stopped at the Super Target: I didn't see any Peanut Butter & Co there (this time), but they had P.B. Loco, and one of their flavors is chocolate chip cookie dough (180 cal/2T). I got a jar. Anybody try?

ANOther 07-10-2008 11:07 AM

bump 07.10: I never did get out to Whole Foods on the 4th: on June 30 I got a nasty infection in my right leg (an old injury leading to edema) and was confined to quarters all week. The doctor said that to head off future edema, watching my sodium intake would be a good idea. So now I'm sodium-conscious. That PB Loco stuff I got is 180 mg of sodium for 2T; Dark Chocolate Dreams is only 35 mg (I checked all their other brands online: Smooth Operator is 40 mg)

BlueToBlue 07-13-2008 03:50 AM

It's not that bad, as far as peanut butter goes (and it's probably a lot better than just eating chocolate).
  • About 65% of the calories are from fat, but most of that (around 81%) are good fats.
  • 22% of the calories from carbs and around 58% of those are sugar (and since evap can juice is the second ingredient, I have to believe that most of that is added sugar, rather than sugar that occurs naturally in the nuts). So that's not so good, but it's not the end of the world--there are worse things you could eat.
  • About 13% of the calories are from protein.

It's also a pretty short ingredient list, which is good. And at least the sweetener isn't HFCS. It would be better if it didn't have palm oil in it, but it doesn't seem like there's very much in it.

In terms of comparing it to regular natural PB (i.e., PB without dark chocolate), it has about the same fat content (both good and bad) as reduced fat natural PB, about the same total carbs but about 5g more sugar, and about 3g less protein.

And if you compare to Nutella (which is what I would guess it is comparable to in terms of flavor), it's much better. It has fewer carbs overall and less than half the sugar as Nutella, more protein and about the same fat content (both good and bad).

I think in moderation, as a treat, this is nothing to feel guilty about.

Vladadog 07-18-2008 12:44 AM

I loe this stuff but I don't buy it any more because I find it is one of he fods I just have no willpower over and a jar disappears very quickly. But oh, it is soooo good.