3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   How has your hunger changed? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/140337-how-has-your-hunger-changed.html)

JulieJ08 04-20-2008 08:53 PM

How has your hunger changed?

So, I'm eating a lot less than I was. And less fat, although more fiber & protein. Less bread & grains (but not low-carbing it by any means). Drinking a lot less too - drinking plenty of water plus some coffee and tea, but not nursing a Diet Coke all-day-long. I'm a bit hungry at times, but I'm fine with riding that for a while and seeing how my body adjusts, and learning to recognize when I'm a lot hungry, just a little, or full without being stuffed. I'm doing alright - I'm not afraid it's gonna "get me," but I am feeling it a bit. It's actually kinda refreshing.

Did you find that your hunger changed? How long did it take to be more used to reasonable portions? And to stop confusing not being stuffed with being hungry? Did it get worse before it got better?

I'm not talking about craving certain foods or "bad" foods (maybe I should call that "not as good" foods) as much as I mean general quantity and fullness.

Get n healthy 04-20-2008 09:49 PM

For me, the first few days of a diet are the hardest. Its like a detox or something. Once the first few days are over and my stomach has shrunk down to a more realistically healthy size, i find that i dont get hungry as much and it doesnt take nearly as much to satisfy my hunger. As long as i stay away from sugar and refined carbs, and i keep protien and high fiber foods on hand...i can get full quickly and pretty much stay fine until the next meal time.

So basically, it happens w/i a week for me. But i have to make sure i am eating the right foods for that to happen. Like if i eat a white bagel for breakfast...i am hungry ALL DAY...no matter what i eat after that...i still stay hungry But if i eat a high protien high fiber cereal...i am good til lunch and dont have a problem getting full easily.

Darkblue 04-20-2008 10:22 PM

The first few days are pretty grim, yes. Off and on during my diet, I allow myself a "vacation from diet" day, and eat what I want (within moderation). What I'm finding is that the item I was just craving during the week doesn't taste as good as I thought it would. On those days, I also find I am mising my whole-wheat, fruit, yogurt, and tea. It's getting a lot easier to stay on-plan. I don't like the way I feel when I eat the junk.

love1384 04-21-2008 01:29 AM

Well, I can not say my hunger has deviated much. When I am eating "good food" fiber rich and proteins, i simply do not get hungry. It is more so now me reminding myself to eat. Time will past since my last meal some times 4-6 hours and I realize 'Wowsers" why am I not hungry? I need to eat something! I never trully had hunger problem in the first place I am a recovering binge eater lol.

However, right after an intense work out session ( i work out late at night), sometimes I come back wanting to eat up the whole kitchen, I realized thats my bodies way of telling me I am dehyrdated so I usually have some cheddar cheese or pita chips for salt and drink more water and go to sleep

Redneck Charger 01-26-2009 08:31 AM

Been dieting for 3 weeks now.. and I find I eat smaller meals now, seems not to take alot to fill me now. Strange..:dizzy:

RangerChic 02-19-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkblue (Post 2160252)
The first few days are pretty grim, yes. Off and on during my diet, I allow myself a "vacation from diet" day, and eat what I want (within moderation). What I'm finding is that the item I was just craving during the week doesn't taste as good as I thought it would. On those days, I also find I am mising my whole-wheat, fruit, yogurt, and tea. It's getting a lot easier to stay on-plan. I don't like the way I feel when I eat the junk.

YES, I am the same way. I give myself Friday or Saturday usually for eating some extra calories. I tend to find that lunch meal out I was thinking about all week just wasn't as good once I actually had it. So weird and funny.
And, I can't eat "crap" anymore, it makes me feel sick. Now, I find I look forward more to my natural/organic snacks.

caitybates 02-20-2009 05:08 AM

For me after about two weeks of dieting I am much more used to eating correct portions and never feel hungry. Also, as others have said, when you are really paying attention and eating all the right kinds of foods you do pretty much always feel full because they are nutrient and energy rich.

Hummus 02-21-2009 02:03 AM

It's been a few years since I made the switch to whole wheat carbs, lean meats, and aiming for more veggies and fruits. Sometimes I revert to more packaged foods, mostly during exams. I find that when I am eating well I get hungry regularly, but I never get "binge-hungry". I completely lose the urge to binge, and it makes me wonder if my binges were based on my body lacking something it really needed.

janann 02-23-2009 03:18 PM

I am in total agreement with the first few days being the worst. I am finding that I don't mindlessly eat like I use to. I am really aware of what is being eaten.

geoblewis 02-26-2009 05:04 PM

I've always eaten healthfully, except for brief periods of my life when I was in college and more concerned with partying and staying up all night. Generally, I kept processed foods to a minimum, but had indulged in processed meats. (I'm a slut for a good kosher hot dog!) I've given that sort of thing up more recently, so I'm not taking in as much sodium any more. I'm happy to report no more swollen ankles and fingers during my period.
Georgia

FutureFitChick 07-06-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieJ08 (Post 2160126)
So, I'm eating a lot less than I was. And less fat, although more fiber & protein. Less bread & grains (but not low-carbing it by any means). Drinking a lot less too - drinking plenty of water plus some coffee and tea, but not nursing a Diet Coke all-day-long. I'm a bit hungry at times, but I'm fine with riding that for a while and seeing how my body adjusts, and learning to recognize when I'm a lot hungry, just a little, or full without being stuffed. I'm doing alright - I'm not afraid it's gonna "get me," but I am feeling it a bit. It's actually kinda refreshing.

Did you find that your hunger changed? How long did it take to be more used to reasonable portions? And to stop confusing not being stuffed with being hungry? Did it get worse before it got better?

I'm not talking about craving certain foods or "bad" foods (maybe I should call that "not as good" foods) as much as I mean general quantity and fullness.

So, I am curious if you can give an update on how these things are going for you, Julie. Thanks!

JulieJ08 07-06-2009 11:42 AM

Oh, things certainly change over time. You really do get used to less food, and that's really nice. It's been a year since that post (what a blast from the past - that was just after I started). Now I'm focusing on learning to stop before/when I'm full instead of just going by pre-selected portions. It's surprisingly hard to stop when you know you're "done" but there's still food left that you're "allowed" to have. But I'm starting to learn it and that feels nice too.

FutureFitChick 07-06-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieJ08 (Post 2814896)
Oh, things certainly change over time. You really do get used to less food, and that's really nice. It's been a year since that post (what a blast from the past - that was just after I started). Now I'm focusing on learning to stop before/when I'm full instead of just going by pre-selected portions. It's surprisingly hard to stop when you know you're "done" but there's still food left that you're "allowed" to have. But I'm starting to learn it and that feels nice too.

Thanks!

What a cool concept (that whole thing of eating in response to hunger that you can trust). Someday, hopefully science will show us how we get so off track from something so fundamental as compared to healthy-weight people! ;)

Glory87 07-06-2009 08:12 PM

Still hungry all the time, still can eat past the point of fullness, still know I'm done with the plate is empty, still eat too fast - I'm still the same person (well, the same person who is addicted to roasted brussel sprouts instead of scones, so that's a little plus).

I am more aware of my habits, so manage them effectively. I only put on a plate what I should eat, so it doesn't matter if I clean my plate. I eat lots of vegetables to feel full.

I didn't find it possible to change HOW I ate, instead I changed how I ate to accommodate ME. Much less work and angst.

JulieJ08 07-06-2009 10:50 PM

I don't find it angsty, I find it rewarding. It's abundantly clear that's a minority opinion around here :) Certainly calorie counting was helpful at first.