Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #1  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 235/194/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Does anyone strive to eat organic as well!!!

HI there, i am currently trying to incorporate organic food into our diets...just curious if there are others who strive to do the same! Currently Im on a weekly menu plan, and we pick up a box of organic veggies once a week, and plan our meals according to whats available! Just looking for others who strive for this too...
mamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

My household is 96-98% organic. We aren't part of any "menu plan" but we belong to a CSA and get a box of organic produce weekly, fresh from the farm.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #3  

Hi Soulbliss! Yeah, my husband and I are trying not only to eat healthier all around, we are trying to be very concious about it! Have you noticed any changes physically from eating regular store bought foods, versus organic?? I We currently eat all our veggies, fruit, eggs and miscellaneous other things organic...and are going to move onto eating our meat organic??? Not sure how thats going to really go, we eat meat about 3-4 times a week, we have a history of eating vegetarian years ago, (in our seperate lives)...I didnt eat red meat for 12 years and was strict veg for 2 of that...my husband dabbled in vegeterianism for a few years too...so basically, we are trying to eat more veggie dishes and organic foods as a whole. We have two little ones and we are trying to also teach them healthy eating habits...(its tough to teach them if we are not doing them) SOOO>...organic we are comfortable with right now... Id love to hear any recipe ideas...etc..etc!! Im thinking of making granola bars for my kids...instead of buying the boxed kind etc...any recipe ideas and small talk is appreciated!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #4  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Hi!

We try to eat as organic as possible (I aim probably for at least 90%-95% or so...we have a few things that we eat ever so often that aren't organic)...we eat out only occasionally, so we don't eat organically then. Luckily, we have a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods near by, which makes it easier. Also, we try to eat little processed food. Drink filtered water.

Our sons are grown up now, but I wish I had been able to buy organic foods when they were younger...they just weren't really available. Mamac, great that you can feed your children in a very healthy way!

Soulbliss, what area of California are you in? (I"m in the SF Bay Area) I was thinking of looking into a CSA. I do go to the Mountain View farmer's market every Sunday morning, which is great...but a CSA involvement might be better (which CSA do you use?). Is it very expensive? Do you get any same basic vegetables every week?

I tend towards vegetarianism...I do eat eggs and milk (though I'm thinking of no longer drinking cow's milk...I like soy milk and almond milk). I really like [cow's] milk, but the more I read about it, the more I realize it's probably not a good thing to drink. I need a lot of calcium though because I have osteoporosis (I do like yogurt and cottage cheese, which helps). I sometimes have chicken and fish, but no red meat. I like tofu (just wish I could learn how to incorporate it into my cooking) and beans. I'm also interested in any recipes!!

Last edited by Cheree; 03-10-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Thumbs up

Hi, mamac!

I've been thinking about/wanting to go organic for a long time. Just recently, I finally cemented the decision by buying my first organic produce. Ouch! But I think it will be worth it in the long run.
I'm going to buy organic as much as possible. I'm also working on getting my boyfriend to eat more healthy for him - he's very much a candy & chips kind of guy.
We have a Planet Organic here in the city, as well as a couple of other stores that cater to organic/environmentally conscious consumers. For now, I'm just going to be getting most of my organic products at local grocery stores. I find that their selection often isn't that great, but with my busy life and limited budget, I don't have too much choice...for now!

Nice to meet you, along with all the other organic people!
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

We try to eat as organic and/or local as much possible, but it can be difficult sometimes. It was super easy when we lived in California, but it's been harder here. I can't wait until the farmer's market opens up!

When there are limited organic options I try to buy organic if it's something that typically has a lot of pesticide residue. Here's a link to a wallet guide you can carry that tells you what carries the most pesicides and what are lower in them: www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

If DH and I decide to stay where we are right now, we are going to get an organic CSA share for the season. It's only May through October though.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #7  

Hi everyone, Im glad there are others who are also trying to eat organic...along with eating to lose!!! Thats great! I understand its tough to get the eating right, nevermind be worried about eating organic, and ofcourse...the cost!

Hello dreamy1 in Edmonton....hello fellow Cdn!! Yeah, it can be pricey, are you feeding a family??? If so, maybe you might want to consider getting a box of veggies...and using that for a week...I believe it saves some money...and if you have too many, if you have time, cook em up in a recipe...and freeze them! That way, you have some for another time...when you have no time to cook...that way they dont go to waste!

its great to see others doing there part in incorporating organic food into their lives... Does anyone grow their own produce in the summer!! I live in the North and our garden season runs from May to August??? something like that...ive never grown a garden, but want to this summer!! That will help with the cost and feels good to show the kids how the veggies we grow...we eat too!! Right now I think they think veggies grow at the store!! LOL
Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #8  
IncredibleShrinkingWoman

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'11"

Hi!

I've never posted here, but my family and I are trying to go organic, bit by bit. I think it's best to make small steps. =D I actually FINALLY ordered a share with the local organic co-op here, and we're picking up our first box this week! I'm excited. I'd love to go to farmer's markets regularly for produce, but we never make it out on time (we have a 3 year old, and the markets all run from 8 am to noon and they're far away, so it's reallyyyyyy hard to make it).

Glad to know there are others trying to do the same!
bigtxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #9  

I try to feed my family organic and local as much as possible. It is much harder when you live in a state with 4 definite, distinct seasons. I hear people talking about planting gardens and we still have snow on the ground. I follow the list of most contaminated fruits and veggies and definitely try to get those organic. The others tend to be hit or miss. Our meat and eggs I do get organic from a local farmer. I'm increasing my garden this year and getting a CSA share so that I can preserve more. Hopefully that will make the winter months easier and more affordable.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:25 AM   #10  
Keeping It Simple

S/C/G: 185/178.5/115

Height: 5' 2"

Hi,

I eat all organic food with the exception of my chicken, salmon, coffee and a few spices. I drink water that has been through reverse osmosis and avoid as much as possible storing food in or cooking with plastic. I carry my water to work in glass bottles. Is anyone else horrified by all of the new "steam in plastic" products flooding the market?

By the way, I have not always been such a "purist". It all started when I quit smoking and was terrified about the damage I had done to my body. I wanted to do everything I could to reduce my cancer risk.
DayByDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #11  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi mamac! I am slowly, but steadily converting my family to organic eating. We started with organic bananas (dee-lish!) and T.J.'s yogurt (double deeee-lish!!). Last summer I planted my own veggies (yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, Asian eggplant, strawberries, lettuce) and various herbs. It was so nice to know exactly what went into my planting mix and exactly what was NOT sprayed onto my veggies!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

I belong to a CSA out of Washington which is organic, and we grow as much as we can in the summers (waaaay north mamac! ) but I don't buy much organic stuff in the grocery. Mostly it's from far away and suffers badly from being transported. Given a choice, I'd buy local over organic. We do have a local organic farmer in the town where I live, and I buy stuff there in the summer (if it's not something we grow ourselves). I can get local eggs, but not meat. My salmon is very organic - my DH catches it!

I don't buy bottled water, and since we have our own well, I don't filter that. We rarely eat beef, though we do eat game meat when someone gives it to us (moose and caribou mainly). I realize that living in Alaska we are in a unique situation, but I really try to buy local things when I can.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamac View Post
Hi Soulbliss! Yeah, my husband and I are trying not only to eat healthier all around, we are trying to be very concious about it! Have you noticed any changes physically from eating regular store bought foods, versus organic??
Well, I've been doing it for about 8 years. I like knowing that our bodies are getting farm fresh, pesticide and chemical free stuff, grown in more nutrient rich soil. It's better for the environment and our bodies, for sure!

Cheree, I live in San Diego. The box varies with each crop and so there are a lot of "repeats" especially when tomatoes are in season! I'd like more fruit, but I'll take what I can get!

I just spoke with them today and offered to be a site for my neighborhood... it would help my family out by providing a free box weekly. Every little bit helps!

http://www.bewiseranch.com/howcsaworks.htm
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

I strive for organic whenever possible. I live in a small town in Wisconsin and it is difficult to come by. If I drive down to Madison I can buy groceries there. That is a 4 hour round trip. In summer I can buy direct from the farmers. I do already buy my bison and red deer from local ranchers.
I find that the produce actually tastes better. Higher quality I think. I do have a recipe for bars but they are protein bars.

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup crushed walnuts
1/2 cup unpacked raisins
4 tbsp flax seeds
4 scoops vanilla protein powder
2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar free maple syrup(I use the real thing)

In a blender process the 1 cup of the rolled oats into flour.
Mix everything together. It seems dry at first keep mixing it will eventually blend.

Coat a 8 x 8 inch pan with olive oil
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes

These are protein bars. I'm not sure what you would use instead of the protein powder. You could experiment.

Last edited by sharonrr1; 03-11-2008 at 02:16 PM.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote