Chicken and spinach recipe?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi, Does anyone have a good chicken and spinach recipe to feed the whole family(5 of us)? I'm trying to incorporate my whole foods in the dinner, so that everyone can benefit, I'm working on dinner with them, and will work it in to lunch and breakfast eventually. I made tofu for the first time for my famly last night and my 2 yo LOVED it!

Thanks,
    Tracy
  • This is one of my favorite recipes. I made it for just me and it fed me for 4 days(dinner one night and then lunch the next few days). I'm sure it could feed a family easily. The original recipe doesn't call for Spinach, but I think that would be a great addition! In fact...I think I'll make it tonight for my parents and myself and add some of the green stuff!

3 Cheese Chicken Penne Florentine
  • Ooo sounds good! I've got almost all of the ingredients, so I'll definitely try that tonight. Thanks once again Glory!
  • I'm rubbish at cooking but I tried this once and it was really nice.
    I stuffed a chicken breast with spinach and grilled it.
    I added some herbs to the chicken and put a tiny bit of mustard in with the spinach to make it a bit spicier and it was really nice.
    I just had that with a baked sweet potato but you could have it with anything.
    It's not fancy at all, it's simple, it's quick and you can add your favourite sauces or flavourings to the chicken.
  • One of my favorites, if all the items included are in your plan and family friendly-

I cook wild rice, and when the rice is almost done - just a little water remaning,
    I add chopped spinach, diced mushrooms and onions, and feta cheese.
    I use this mixture to stuff chicken breasts, which I bake in the oven but in the summer months I will grill it - which is also awesome.
    One half of a half breast is enough of a serving for me, because i will often also make a salad and/or something else with the meal, but my boyfriend will eat an entire half breast. just the chicken with the stuffing is pretty filling on it own - if i do any sides (which i often won't) i just do something light that compliments it.
  • Jadeybaby and Karmuz-Those are great...I'm taking notes. I was planning on talking my husband into grilling this weekend(he even grills in the snow, lol). I'll just have him grill several different things to get me through a few days. I love chicken and prefer to eat it everyday if I can. I was also thinking kabobs would be yummy.
  • This is one of my favorite ones - Spinach and mushroom stuffed chicken breasts

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._29502,00.html

Can make it healthier subbing out canadin bacon for reg bacon, cutting back on the cheese a bit and using lower fat products

This one is also very good -Balsamic Chicken Cutlet over Spinach Salad with Mushrooms, Bacon and Warm Shallot Dressing

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._20934,00.html
  • A huge stir-fry with chicken, spinach, bean sprouts, bell pepper, onions, and whatever else you like.

You need a big pan for this. Saute the chicken in a little cannola oil and add any other longer cooking ingredients first, then add shorter cooking items. Wilt in the spinach at the end.

I have made this with chicken and I have made it with tofu. Both were good.

I usually mist the bell peppers, onions, garlic and bean sprouts with cooking spray so I don't have to add more oil. I add soy sauce for serving.
  • I made a pasta dish with spinach and chickpeas the other night, and I think you could easily substitute chicken for the chickpeas. It's in this thread:
    Maintenance recipes and I notice there's a couple others that use spinach there too. Enjoy!
  • Thanks everyone for the great recipes. I've added them to my recipe box. I tried the one Glory recommended (3 cheese penne) and its fabulous!!! It was a huge hit with my family, I had to go and get a serving for todays lunch before they ate it all up!
  • My fav spinach and chicken recipe is Apple-Spinach Chicken. It comes out great and is super low call (only around 200 calories). We get four adult-sized servings out of it. I generally just serve a salad with it, but the calories are low enough that you could easily add a side of brown rice, whole wheat pasta, or another vegetable.
  • Quote: One of my favorites, if all the items included are in your plan and family friendly-

I cook wild rice, and when the rice is almost done - just a little water remaning,
    I add chopped spinach, diced mushrooms and onions, and feta cheese.
    I use this mixture to stuff chicken breasts, which I bake in the oven but in the summer months I will grill it - which is also awesome.
    One half of a half breast is enough of a serving for me, because i will often also make a salad and/or something else with the meal, but my boyfriend will eat an entire half breast. just the chicken with the stuffing is pretty filling on it own - if i do any sides (which i often won't) i just do something light that compliments it.
    Oh gosh, this sounds good! Must add the ingredients to my shopping list!
  • Glad you liked that recipe!! I made it that night and had to eat it for lunch the next day since i knew my parents would eat the rest for dinner. My problem is it is so good, it is hard to stick to one serving!
  • Yes,we loved it, my kids have already asked when I'm making it again, and if I'll leave out the onions next time(lol), maybe I'll just chop them smaller.

I'm planning on trying the apple chicken, and the stuffed chicken later this week. Thanks for all the great recipes!
  • Warning--this is very green! From Cooking Light:

Chicken Enchiladas with Spinach Cream Sauce

Conlan garnishes these enchiladas with a dollop of low-fat sour cream and fresh chives. He serves them with a side of black beans.

2 poblano chiles
    Cooking spray
    1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion, divided
    2 cups shredded ready-to-eat roasted skinned, boned chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
    6 cups fresh spinach leaves
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 tablespoons masa harina or all-purpose flour
    1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    3 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (about 1/3 cup)
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    4 (8-inch) corn tortillas

Preheat broiler. Place chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet; broil 10 minutes or until blackened, turning occasionally. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel chiles; cut in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membranes; slice into strips to measure 2/3 cup.

Place a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add 1 cup sliced onion; cook 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in chicken and 1/3 cup chiles; spoon chicken mixture into a bowl.

Steam spinach leaves, covered, 5 minutes or until wilted. Place spinach in a colander, pressing with the back of a spoon until barely moist.

Preheat oven to 350°.

Wipe skillet with paper towels, and recoat with cooking spray. Place over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup sliced onion and chopped green onions, and saute 3 minutes. Stir in ground cumin and minced garlic, and saute 30 seconds. Combine masa harina and broth. Add masa mixture, chopped cilantro, cream cheese, and salt to pan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring constantly. Place the cheese mixture, 1/3 cup chiles, and spinach ina food processor, and process until smooth. Strain spinach mixture through a colander into a bowl, and discard solids.

Divide the chicken mixture evenly among tortillas, and roll up. Pour 1/2 cup spinach sauce in bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange the filled tortillas on top of spinach sauce. Pour the remaining spinach sauce over tortillas. Cover and bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until enchiladas are thoroughly heated.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 enchilada with sauce)

CALORIES 265 (27% from fat); FAT 7.9g (sat 3.8g,mono 2.2g,poly 1g); PROTEIN 22.1g; CHOLESTEROL 51mg; CALCIUM 205mg; SODIUM 723mg; FIBER 6.8g; IRON 4.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30g