Paper bag microwave popcorn! Healthier & Cheap!

• Why I never figured this out until I read it on the internet a year ago, I don't know. I thihk that a lot of other people might not know about this as well! With a jar of popcorn kernels and a paper lunch bag, you can make microwave popcorn. I think the microwave popcorn industry is trying to keep this under wraps!

PUt kernels into the bag -- I usually do about 3-4 tablespoons. Fold end of bag over about 3 times so it doesn't open during cooking. Place in microwave until popping slows. Season as you wish -- I just do a little Pam so the salt will stick to the popped kernels.

So cheap! So much more healthy! You know what's in it! It's not some weird pasty butter that somehow is able to sit on the shelf for a year. Someone I know recently cut one of those commercial microwave bags open prior to popping -- let's just say it wasn't pretty!

Why don't people know about this???!!!
  • HMMMM...great, will buy some kernels next time I go shopping...Thanks!
  • You do have to be a little more careful with the lunchbag method, because some microwaves will ignite the bag before the corn pops.
  • Thanks. I never have had anything near that problem. In fact the popcorn pops much more quickly this way -- usually about 1 minute and 40 seconds, and it's all done. It always took longer with the commercial packages. Also, there's no oil or butter in the bag, so that probably helps.
  • Isn't it great? I popped up a nice bag this weekend when I took my son to see the Spiderwick Chronicles. Of course he still wanted the kind sold at the movie theatre, but when I saw them pouring that liquid butter/oil/God knows what on it, I almost barfed. Although it did smell heavenly!
  • that is quite interesting! and here i always thought you needed one of those stupid popping machines if you didn't have the microwave kind!
  • I've done this for awhile now, and my kids actually prefer it to the packaged stuff. It tastes fresher, less greasy...even when I drizzle a little melted butter over the top.

I've found that it can be a trick to get the amount s of popcorn versus time in micro just right...often the popcorn will burn, or there will be many unpopped kernels. I've never had an issue with the bag burning. With my micro, I use a scant 1/3c. of kernels and it takes 2 minutes, maybe 2:10. I try shake the bag a bit so the kernels are distributed as evenly as possible.
  • I never had a problem in any of my microwaves, because I've always had very cheap, low wattage microwaves. Then I took some to my parents house to show my mother how easy and wonderful it was, and the bag ignited almost immediately (like after only a few kernals had popped). My parents had a much more expensive, higher wattage microwave, and I thought maybe a lower heat setting would help, but the flames freaked my mother out, so she wouldn't let me try another bag. Later I read in a woman's magazine that you should NEVER use a paper bag, because it could start fire. I kind of laughed at that, because even having it happen, I wasn't worried about burning the house down or anything. I mean, it's in a microwave, where are the flames going to go? As soon as the oxygen was used up, the fire went out, and it didn't seem like there was any damage to the microwave. I suppose someone could panic and open the microwave door and spread the flames by trying to remove the burning bag (so if it happens, don't do that).

I never leave popcorn unattended in the microwave, even commercial popcorn though, because I HATE the smell of burnt popcorn.
  • Quote: , but the flames freaked my mother out, so she wouldn't let me try another bag.

I am going to have to try this! I was going to do the old fashion way - in a pot on the stove - but I can't with our new glass top stove.

Thanks for the tip!
  • I saw this on a news report about Microwave popcorn a few days ago, so I looked it up and copied the first paragraph. Your idea of making your own microwaveable popcorn sound like a better idea. Please read below:

Results of a study by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) published in October reveal that compounds known to break down into the suspected carcinogen PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid) may be served up to millions of unwitting consumers in bags of microwave popcorn. The family treat could account for more than 20% of the average PFOA levels now measured in the blood of U.S. residents.

The rest of the article is located at Environmental Science & Technology Online