3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   Next phase (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/135130-next-phase.html)

YWeight 02-22-2008 11:31 AM

Next phase

Morning All,
As a point of reference..I started my eating/lifestyle change about 13 months ago. I had failed miserably at previous attempts to lose weight/be more healthy, changing eating habits and incorporating exercise became overwhelming so I quit. This time, I am taking a phased approach. I started with diet....following WW Points has weaned me away from fast food and junk, I have lost over 70 lbs. Losing the weight gave me more energy, so phase 2 of working exercise into the mix has become very easy. Now it's time for phase 3...better/more healthy food. I have about 50 more lbs to lose. I believe I can achieve this goal, and I would like to start incorporating more locally grown, organic foods into my diet.
I haven't caught up on reading all the posts in this thread, but I will, and hopefully I won't ask the same questions that have already been answered. Having said that, I was thinking about picking up one of the books in the "Superfoods" library. Is that a good place to start? If not, what is a good place, and if so, which of the books would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Glory87 02-22-2008 12:23 PM

Hey Vanetta, congraulations on losing 70 lbs, that's incredible - it's a fifth grader!! Yay!

I absolutely loved the first super foods book - Super Foods Rx: 14 Foods That Will Change Your Life, it really made the science of nutrition accessible to me. There were lots of studies that were explained in simple terms so I could really understand why spinach was good for my eyes and blueberries were good for my brain and nuts were good for my heart.

I did like the second book, but I found it a little deriviative and redundant (it covers a lot of the same ground). I never bought the second book, I checked it out of the library to read and I photocopied all the good recipes :)

There is now a third book which has an additional author and is focused on losing weight with super foods. I checked it out of the library and I find it a lot more strict than my own approach (the new book includes: cut off times at night, portioning vegetables, lowish calorie range). It had some interesting information, but the first book is still my favorite.

I think your plan to eat more healthy, local, organic whole foods is GREAT!!

YWeight 02-22-2008 02:02 PM

Thanks....ok, I just finished reading the original post on Superfoods. Glory is so inspiring that I now own the 1st Superfoods book (from my office window I can see a 1/2 Price Books). I think this is what I am looking for.

emiloots 02-26-2008 08:19 PM

Just wanted to chime in that I bought the first two books tonight and I'm really looking forward to reading them!