Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Wednesday

Breakfast - 1/2 Nature's Path pumkpkin flax cereal, Trader Joe's fat free Greek Yogurt with Honey

Snack - 4.4 oz blueberries

Lunch - spinach, 90 calories of chicken breast, grape tomatoes, shredded carrot, chopped red onion, 1/5 chopped red pepper, broccoli slaw, organic bbq sauce, a tiny bit of an avocado (1/2 split among 5 salads) and a few pieces of roasted sweet potato

Snack - tangelo

Snack - 100 calories of no sugar added cocoa

Snack - cut up veggies (grape tomatoes, orange pepper strips, sugar snap peas, baby carrots)

Dinner - I have to get my car smog checked before board game night, so I plan to stop at Quiznos. I will get 2 of the 200 calorie chicken "sammies" on this yummy flat bread and a small cup of chili! I plan to stay OUT of all the snacks in the board game conference room and sip a no sugar added cocoa! We shall see how I do.

Last edited by Glory87; 03-19-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #167  

S/C/G: HW235 225/176.5/136

Height: 5'2

Wednesday

B-yogurt w/strawberries and blueberries, walnuts, coffee w/soymilk

L-whole wheat turkey sandwich w/avocado and roasted red pepper hummus, a tangelo

S-iced tea/clif bar(I ran out of kid clif z bars )

D-2 pieces organic whole wheat veggie pizza (tomato, spinach, garlic, broccoli, baby bella mushrooms, olives, EVOO), tomato roasted red pepper soup, garbanzo beans, sesame cracker sticks

S-88 calories DARK chocolate

Quote:
AndLy-Your pumpkin panckes sound yummy...care to share your recipe??
Sure! It's not a science I just kind of winged it! I just used regular old Mrs. Butterworth's pancake batter (b/c I was trying to use up stuff I had before I bought new whole wheat or some kind of healthy kind) and used enough for 6 pancakes (I think it was 1 cup dry mix) I added 1/2 - 3/4 cup pumpkin and about 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice and about 1/2 -3/4 cup water - it all depends on things like humidity and stuff and then just cooked them like regular. They stay VERY moist on the inside b/c of the pumpkin so if you don't like them like that then make the batter thinner or cook them longer on lower heat so they don't burn.

Then I cut up an apple into slices and sprayed a small frying pan w/some canola oil spray and cooked the apple along w/about 2 tbsp walnuts and a dash of cinnamon until it was all soft and warm! Then I put it on top of my pancakes. It tastes like a combination of pumpkin pie and apple pie! Enjoy!!!

Last edited by AndLy; 03-20-2008 at 03:16 AM. Reason: adding meals
AndLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #168  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I don't think I did very well number-wise yesterday but ... I did use up some wilty mesclun. I sauteed it in olive oil margarine, added egg white and montreal steak spice ... rolled it into a tortilla and it was delicious.

It irritates me to toss greens just because we didn't put them away quick enough or they were too wet. I have put them is soup too.

So probably nuts, blueberries, whole grain, spinach, cruciferous veggies ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #169  

Thursday

Breakfast - 1/2 cup oatmeal, 2 spoons wheat germ, 2 spoons apple butter, a few walnuts

Snack - 4.4 oz blueberries

Lunch - spinach, 90 calories of chicken breast, grape tomatoes, shredded carrot, chopped red onion, 1/5 chopped red pepper, broccoli slaw, organic bbq sauce, a tiny bit of an avocado (1/2 split among 5 salads) and a few pieces of roasted sweet potato

Snack - blood orange

Snack - cut up veggies (grape tomatoes, orange pepper strips, sugar snap peas, baby carrots)

Dinner - maple glazed salmon, brown rice, steamed broccoli (affectionately known at my place as "loser meal 1" because it's so basic and easy to make)
Old 03-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #170  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks for the info...a couple more questions...

What do you marinade tofu in??

What is Edamame?? I always thought it was a type of cheese. Go ahead laugh!!!

B-Oatmeal, 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar, 1 Tbls ground flax seed, an orange, 8 oz light vanilla soy milk, black chai tea

L- Spinach, Romaine, shredded carrots, brocoli slaw, 1 oz chopped walnuts, 3 oz chicken breast, raspberry vinegrett dressing, 1 cups strawberries, 1/2 cup french vanilla yogurt.

Snack 24 almonds, 1 apple

Dinner- I am in a time crunch tonight so I might just have a can of soup. I know not exactly superfood. But it keeps me in my calorie range, fills me up and it's quick. Although I might add some black beans to it to bump up the protien and add a super food.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #171  

I marinate tofu in anything, really. If I don't have a lot of time, I use bottled stir-fry sauce. Edamame are a kind of soybean. They are green-colored, sweet and tender and I love them in salads or stir fries. If you go to a Japanese restaurant, they are frequently available as an appetizer - steamed in their pods, lightly salted. Note, do not EAT the pods (ask me how I know this). Put the pod between your teeth and scrape the beans into your mouth, discard the pods (normally, they give you a little dish for the discard). When I buy them for salads, I buy the shelled, frozen beans (without pods), they are really easy to steam to use for salads.

This link has a picture of edamame in the pod:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edamame

Awesome edamame link:
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=56288

Here is a recipe for one of my favorite tofu stir fries:

Orange Ginger Tofu Stir Fry

1 lb tofu
1 cup fresh orange juice
¼ cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup shoyu (kind of a soy sauce, substitute soy if you can't find it)
2 tbs canola oil
2 tsp dark sesame oil
3 garlic cloves
1 tbs minced fresh ginger
¼ tsp hot red pepper flakes
1 scallion
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno
5-6 mushrooms
1 orange pepper
1 carrot
1 broccoli crown
1 onion
snow peas
(whatever vegetables you want, those are just a suggestion)

In a medium bowl, wish together orange juice, vinegar, shoyu, oils, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes.

Place tofu in a baking dish in a single layer, cover with the marinade and sprinkle with the scallions and cilantro. Chop jalapeno and sprinkle on top. Marinate at least 30 minutes (up to over night).

Stir fry tofu with remaining ingredients and serve over brown rice.

Last edited by Glory87; 03-20-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #172  

Thanks Glory I will give that stir fry recipe a try. I am slowly converting my family to superfoods. I wonder if I can sneak tofu past my husband.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:31 PM   #173  

S/C/G: HW235 225/176.5/136

Height: 5'2

Thursday

B-1/2 c lowfat yogurt, strawberries and blueberries, 2 tbsp walnuts, and I added something new to the mix today. I bought a new cereal the other day at the store and thought I try a bit w/yogurt. I have a crunch thing...I don't do mushy food and I thought this might be better than granola...lower in calories, less fat. Anyway, it's cracklin oat bran, I think that's what it's called. I'll check when I get home from work tonight. I just crumbled up a couple of the little o's and sprinkled them on too. It was really really good!

Also had my regular coffee/soymilk

L-2 pieces organic whole wheat veggie pizza (the last 2 ) topped w/peppercini's! I love a little spice added! and a tangelo

S-tea and clif bar

D-soba noodles w/terryaki stir fry veggies and tofu

S-88 calories dark chocolate

***no exercise today as I was bbsitting my nephews all day before work and had absolutely positively NO time to go for a walk***

Will edit later to add the rest of today's food

Last edited by AndLy; 03-21-2008 at 02:14 AM.
AndLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #174  

Friday-

B- Oatmeal, 1/2 apple, 1 Tablespoon chopped walnuts, 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar, 8 oz light vanilla soy milk, black chai tea

L-3 oz turkey breast, 1/2 apple, 1 Tablespoon Walnuts, 1 T soyanaise, 1 t dijon mustard, 1 t honey, ww pita, baby carrots, strawberries, yogurt

D- Black Bean Chili (black beans, canned diced tomatoes, corn, salsa, onion, garlic, red yeloow and orange peppers, spices) topped with 1/4 cup diced avocado, wasa cracker, soy milk
Old 03-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #175  
Working My Way Back Down

Okay, I've been missing here, though not in eating superfoods.

B - omelet with left over broccoli, ww toast
S - tangerine
L - large mixed greens salad, grilled chicken, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, sesame dressing
s - yogurt
D - leftover salmon (don't know how I'll fix it yet), stir-fry veggies including red/orange peppers, onions, mushrooms and anything else lurking.

My DH left today, and I'm leaving Tuesday, so I'm on a clean out the fridge mission. I see some "unusual" meals in my near future.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #176  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I am LOVING this thread.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #177  

Friday

Breakfast - 1/2 cup Nature's Path pumpkin flax cereal, Trader Joe's fat free Greek yogurt with honey

Snack - fresh blackberries

Snack - tangelo

Dinner - 3 tacos - made with veggie crumbles (mixed with spicy taco seasoning), blue corn shells, home-made guacamole, chopped spinach leaves, roma tomato, salsa and a little low fat cheddar cheese
Old 03-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #178  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

steel-cut oatmeal, with walnuts, raisins, brown sugar
one whole cara cara orange
two cups black tea
skim milk

salmon cup
tomatoes
All-Bran crackers
yogurt
applesauce--organic, unsweetened

pork chop
sweet potato with cinnamon, nutmeg
broccoli
wild rice

green tea with honey

13 total
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #179  

I'm hoping it's OK if I jump on in here!

FRIDAY

breakfast: wholegrain toast topped with mashed avocado and diced tomato, scrambled egg whites

snack: carrot sticks and lemon hummus

lunch: roast turkey in a wholegrain wrap with sauteed red peppers and onions (cold), salad of cucumber and roasted beets in vinaigrette (also cold)

snack: kiwi berries and a babybel light

dinner: grilled salmon over wilted ginger/soy spinach with spicy roasted butternut squash and brown rice

dessert: fruit salad (strawberries, mango, pineapple and blueberries)
Sorcha33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #180  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblue View Post

one whole cara cara orange

I just recently discovered Cara Cara oranges in my local market!! They're good, aren't they?

I love how they taste kind of like a grapefruit/orange cross - they make a really nice quick fruit salad when chopped up and tossed with chopped up Honeycrisp apples!
Sorcha33 is offline   Reply With Quote