3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   SuperFoods Daily Accounting (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/134782-superfoods-daily-accounting.html)

Glory87 02-26-2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbmare (Post 2072260)
Why aren't they? Seems like they would be. What does the book say about them? Carrots aren't on there either, are they?

I'm traveling and don't have my book handy, but as far as I can remember (at least from the first book which I'm more familiar with) beets aren't a super food per that author (I think anything that dark and colorful has to be super nutrient rich). Carrots are a pumpkin sidekick :) (with sweet potatoes and orange pepper)

Glory87 02-26-2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbmare (Post 2072223)
Glory, can you please post your recipe that was in the article? I couldn't find the mag and now I think it's too late to get it. Another Oprah issue is on the stands. Susan B made your jambalaya and I'm jealous. :lol:

Hmm, I don't have a jambalaya recipe!

WaterRat 02-26-2008 01:13 AM

cbmare - I haven't been able to find the magazine either. I either missed it or it's just about to come out. There have been NO Women's Day mags in my grocery store the past few days.

baffled111 02-26-2008 10:41 AM

I think the Oprah issue is Woman's Weekly or Woman's Something Else and not the mag that Glory is in: my grocery store had both on display.

cbmare 02-26-2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glory87 (Post 2072599)
Hmm, I don't have a jambalaya recipe!

I'll have to go find that post and nag Susan B.

:lol:

srmb60 02-26-2008 12:31 PM

No need to nag ;)... it's at the bottom of the last page.

The mag is Woman's Day March 4, 2008
It's pale green with a medium blue title and a chocolate butterfly. Mine has a yellow circle in the top rt corner that says "Only $3.49"

sharonrr1 02-26-2008 12:57 PM

Hi Ladies, I'd like to join in.
Yesterday:

beans-in my soup
blueberries-in my oatmeal
broccoli- in my salad
oats- oatmeal
oranges-
pumpkin-in a smoothie
salmon
soy- light soy milk
spinach in my omelet and salad
tea - green breakfast
tomatoes-in my soup and on my salad
turkey-sausage snack
walnuts-
yogurt-in my pumpkin smoothie

That is 11 with more than one serving of some.

WaterRat 02-26-2008 01:12 PM

Here's today's plan....

beans-in my lunch chili
blueberries
broccoli- for dinner
oats
oranges
pumpkin - peppers in dinner salad and lunch chili; eta acorn squash for dinner :)
salmon - :) dinner
soy
spinach - bok choy in dinner salad
tea - evening snack
tomatoes-in my chili
turkey
walnuts
yogurt-afternoon snack

That's only 7 - need to get in more ETA: just added 2 to bring the number to 9.

cbmare 02-26-2008 01:23 PM

Yesterday

beans - snow peas in my stir fry for dinner & snap peas w/lunch
blueberries - with my cereal
broccoli - 2 cups of broccoli/cauliflower veggie mix w/lunch
oats - 2 kinds of Kashi high fiber cereal (1/2 C each), quinoa w/dinner
oranges - munched on 1 from my tree for a snack
pumpkin - red peppers in my veggie mix at lunch, carrots in my pickle mix and in the dinner stir fry
salmon
soy
spinach
tea - 2 cups black decaf
tomatoes
turkey
walnuts - can I count almond milk here?
yogurt

Thanks for the list, Susan

cbmare 02-26-2008 01:28 PM

Planned for today

beans - snap peas w/lunch & green peas w/dinner
blueberries - in the high fiber cereal
broccoli - 2 cups of broccoli/cauliflower veggie mix w/lunch
garlic - it is always in some form with dinner
oats - 2 kinds of Kashi high fiber cereal (1/2 C each), quinoa w/lunch & dinner
oranges - will munch on 1 from my tree for a snack
pumpkin - red peppers in my veggie mix at lunch, carrots in my pickle mix
salmon
soy - in the high fiber cereal
spinach
tea - maybe
tomatoes
turkey - as part of our meat mix. We're making mini meatloaves for dinner
walnuts - can I count almond milk here?
yogurt

I don't know where to fit in bananas and mixed greens for a salad

MonkeysJump 02-26-2008 01:50 PM

Hi everyone! :carrot:

My name is Leia. I have been lurking for a few weeks reading all the posts. I am trying to eat as many superfoods as I can each day. I have the first 2 books and I got the diet book from the library.

I have found that you can sneak quite a few superfoods into chili. I made chili the other night and it had turkey, beans, pumpkin, tomatoes, onion, orange bell peppers (sidekick), and whole wheat pasta.

I brown up some ground turkey breast with a whole onion and a whole orange bell pepper (if they are too expensive i use green). Then i add in a can of diced tomatoes with juice and a can of kidney beans. I like my chili really thick and kinda creamy so I put a drained can of white beans and a can of tomato puree and a small can of pumpkin into the blender and whip it up until its smooth. Then I pour that into the pot. I add chili powder and spices and then I simmer for about an hour until all the flavors meld. I serve the chili over a small portion of whole wheat macaroni. You can't taste the pumpkin at all. I have also put spinach into the chili with good results. I love cooked spinach though. My husband didn't like the spinach.

So that's 7 superfoods in one meal. More if you add a salad on the side.

Thank you guys for sharing. Reading your stories/posts has helped me stay on track many times.

srmb60 02-26-2008 08:17 PM

Ooo the more the merrier! This is fun!

beans
blueberries - strawberries
broccoli- raw a snack
oats- a whole grain bun
oranges- pink grapefruit juice
pumpkin-
salmon- on the bun
soy- non fat milk
spinach- by the handful and in my supper salad
tea- green after supper
tomatoes- pink grapefruit works for this too
turkey
walnuts- snack
yogurt- yes

11 today

Darkblue 02-26-2008 10:38 PM

beans--lentil soup
blueberries - cherries
broccoli-
oats- whole wheat waffles
oranges- two clementines
pumpkin-
salmon-
soy-
spinach- on my pizza
tea- black, green, iced
tomatoes- on my pizza
turkey-
walnuts-
yogurt- yes

8 today

Glory87 02-26-2008 11:33 PM

Okay - today in Vegas was slightly better, but I still ate way too much. I still managed to avoid the desserts (and lunch had dutch apple pie which is one of my absolute favorites).

Let me see if I can remember everything I ate:

B - bowl of oatmeal, bluerries, strawberries, banana

no morning snack

L - big salad with dark greens, diced chicken breast, carrots, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, balsalmic vinaigrette on the side, little taste of vegetable lasagna, little taste of barbequed pulled pork, part of a baked potato (they roasted the skin rolled in rock salt which I love, basically ate the skin off one side)

S - ate my nectar bar, half a banana, igored all of the brownies, pastries, chips, hot preztels offered

D - dark greens, balsalmic vinagrette, scoop of mashed sweet potatoes (tasted really rich and creamy), roasted hcerry tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, asparagus, roasted garlic cloves, sword fish with mango salsa, a little bite of a wonderful cheese tortillini with walnuts, a little tomato/shrimp appetizer, avoided the dessert section and had some fruit (pineapple, watermelon, strawberries)

joyofsix 02-27-2008 12:46 PM

Glory-I think you are doing great. I hate facing aisles of food.
Today so far and the plan for the rest of the day.
B-egg, spinach,feta
L-chicken breast, salsa, brown rice
S-blueberries,plain yogurt
D-dark green salad, pear, blue cheese,butternut squash
S-tea, dark chocolate