I'd be wholesome except....

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: There isn't really any processed food I eat regularly but there are a number of things I buy....

Whole grain bread - DH eats most of this but occassionally I will have a sandwich. I like Ezekiel Cinnamon raisin bread which is pretty good.

Whole grain cereals - DH eats a lot of whole grain cereals, mostly Trader Joe's brand. Although they aren't sugary, they are still processed.

Snack bars and such - Larabars, Clif bars, etc. Even though I try to buy the ones with fewest ingredients and all natural ingredients. I rarely eat these though.

Soy milk/almond milk - DH mostly uses these with his cereal but occasionally I'll have cereal too.

Dark chocolate squares - These are a treat which I sometimes indulge in and DH really likes as well.

That is pretty much it.
    Quoting you is easier than typing it all myself!

I'm not eating cereal, bars or bread but DH and DD eats the same ones you've listed.

I will enjoy unsweetened almond milk a few times a week which is a healthy choice but not 100% whole or "unprocessed".

The only thing to add to the list: I occasionally have erythritol (made from fermented fruits and vegetables) in organic, fair trade coffee.
  • Quote: OK, ok, I am a whole foods girl....most of the time. But are there any processed fake foods that you just cant/wont give up and eat regularly? I know a lot of people use the artificial sweeteners regularly
    Well, I still eat a lot of "convenience" packaged foods. I wish I had the time to make my own whole wheat pasta/tortillas/bread but I don't. I don't make my own yogurt, jam, salad dressing or peanut butter either. I also buy MorningStar farm veggie burgers/crumbles instead of making veggie burgers from scratch. I just try to do the best I can and buy organic products as much as possible.

As far as processed fake foods - I just can't stop my tall skinny mocha from Starbucks. I have no idea what's in that sugar-free syrup, it can't be good, but I love it!
  • Quote: Jill - I was reading bread labels yesterday, as we're about out and I didn't see where I was going to find the time to bake. Every one I picked up had HFCS in it. Sigh. I'm baking bread today. I don't mind an occasional slice of bread, but I don't want to buy it for everyday.
    Do any stores in your area carry Milton's or Ezekiel? No HFCS in either one! I prefer the Milton's, Ezekiel slices are kinda small.
  • I am not a "whole foods" purist (nor I guess would anyone who could answer yes to the original question). In that sense, I believe most low and lower carb plans fit well within a "whole foods" umbrella, because more often than not the foods that will be making up the greater part of your daily diet will be less processed and in a closer to natural state. No one lives on Sugar free pudding. And even the most devout whole foodist probably is probably going to eat something "questionable" by their own standards at least once in a while. Also what a person considers "whole" can vary quite a bit from person to person. Not that instant pudding would ever qualify.

I try to look at it as how many generations before me would recognize the food I'm eating. The farther back I can go, the better I'm doing. If great grandma would have been stymied, not so good. If it would be instantly recognized by Cro-Magnon man, hey that's great.
  • Hmm, I've seen Ezekiel occasionally, but not Milton's. I've gotten into a routine now of making my own bread, but I think I'll look for these. DH can't digest a lot of whole grains, so I need to get a more processed grain bread for him (I usually make him an egg bread), so we often has two loaves of bread going....
  • I see Milton's all the time here but it has too many calories in it for me. Costco actually carries a pretty decent organic whole grain bread but I'm guessing Costco in AK is a rarity?
  • Nature's Valley granola bars--especially Cinnamon flavor

Thomas light multi-grain English muffins

Trader Joe's cinnamon graham crackers

Hey, we're only human. I can't imagine giving up all processed foods--it seems I'd spend the entire day harvesting from the back 40 or something along those lines.
  • Quote:
    I'm guessing Costco in AK is a rarity
    Actually, Nelie, there are 2 in Anchorage! And we have a store not too far from here called 3 Bears that carries many of the Costco products. I no longer have a Costco membership - it made more sense when I drove to Anchorage to work every day, but I don't do 100 miles round trip just to shop - usually! I will get friends to pick me up stuff when they go though.
  • Cabury creme eggs!
    And Lean Cusine cheese cannolli
  • Diet Pepsi - I know it's probably the worst thing I could be eating/drinking in terms of chemicals etc... I gave them up for almost 2 years b/c of being pregnant & breastfeeding but they're back in my diet. I trying to cut them out completely but it's tough once you're "addicted".

Also, dark chocolate (although I do try and buy green&blacks organic 72% cocoa) and candy in general.

Other than that pretty much 75% of what we eat is organic and the rest is as natural/unprocessed as possible.
  • I absolutely love Milton's whole grain crackers. Yeah they are "whole grain" but they have like 15 ingredients in there with them. lol
  • I would never be able to give up Crystal Light. I'm addicted to it, and it does help me get in an extra glass or 2 of water...I'm sure none of the chemicals in it are any good for you but at least it doesn't have any calories.
  • The Miltons breads I've seen here have preservatives.