3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   Goji, Acai, Noni, Mangosteen, etc. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/127240-goji-acai-noni-mangosteen-etc.html)

Cheree 11-16-2007 12:27 PM

Goji, Acai, Noni, Mangosteen, etc.

I have read that it is good to include juice from the following fruits:

Goji, Acai, Noni and Mangosteen

I've been drinking a 1 ounce shot each day (I should probably be drinking 2-1 ounce shots a day) of a product that I found at Whole Foods called: Fusion 4 (wild harvested) that includes all 4 of the above fruits (I believe they are fruits and/or berries). The Fusion 4 says it is a "Liquid Dietary Supplement".

I'm about out of this product and wouldn't mind something that tastes a bit better. I'm not intested in ones that are sold through an MLS (sorry).

What product(s) have you found that you like? Do they contain all of those fruits or just some?

Thanks!
Cheree :carrot:

alinnell 11-16-2007 12:51 PM

There are quite a lot of these types of drinks out there. I don't know if one is better than another. Basically the fruits used are high in antioxidents and that's why they're telling us to drink them. I don't think it is necessary to drink them--you can get antioxidents from all sorts of sources and if you eat the fruit itself you benefit from the fiber.

Cheree 11-16-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alinnell (Post 1932479)
There are quite a lot of these types of drinks out there. I don't know if one is better than another. Basically the fruits used are high in antioxidents and that's why they're telling us to drink them. I don't think it is necessary to drink them--you can get antioxidents from all sorts of sources and if you eat the fruit itself you benefit from the fiber.

I do eat a lot of fresh fruits (love the fiber), but want to include these juices (based on what I've read in multiple sources). Thanks though!

kaplods 11-18-2007 03:49 PM

I was intrigued by this post, so did quite a bit of reading on these fruits. Nothing persuasive enough for my to drink them daily without further evidence. I found nothing to indicate that in areas where they are consumed they are consumed daily, and considering the side effects reported with excess soy (a food I consider safe in moderation). I think I'll pass, especially on the noni, as I think the name "vomit fruit" says it all (wikipedia).

nelie 11-18-2007 04:05 PM

I think you should read about these juices from unbiased sources. A quick search on Noni lead me to an article that says that the juice does not retain all the nutrition that the berry has and really provides minimal nutritional value. It does retain some if its vitamin c but not as much as orange juice contains.

That happens a lot when foods that are good for you get processed and away from their natural state.

It is also unfortunate that "health food" products are advertised as being a cure-all or something to promote health when the real health promoter would be improving diet with natural, whole foods and limit processed foods. It is also unfortunate that it is difficult to find unbiased sources for products but rather the web is littered with companies that benefit from the sale of these juices so they produce articles raving about the greatness of the product.

I also agree that these fruits are probably good for you in their natural states but since they aren't sold in their natural states then the information provided should be based on how they are available to consumers.