Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #1  
it's always something

Default Dr. Oz's green drink

Did any of you watch Dr. Oz on Oprah earlier in the week? The topic was YOU: Younger, and discussed anti-aging tactics. One of the points mentioned was eating whole foods, and avoiding processed foods. Actually, most of everything suggested would fit in well in this forum Dr. Oz shared his recipe for a green concoction that he drinks regularly.

* 2 cups spinach
* 2 cups cucumber
* 1 head of celery
* 1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger root
* 1 bunch parsley
* 2 apples
* Juice of 1 lime
* Juice of 1/2 lemon

Put it all in a blender and enjoy. I think you are also supposed to add a little bit of water. It should make a few servings, but it looks easy enough to cut down for 1 or 2 servings. I haven't tried it yet.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

I had seen that show...the drink looked really gross so I was surprised when Oprah seemed to enjoy it. I'd love to try it myself but haven't bothered actually making it...yet. Maybe someday. I just don't like spinach, or celery and am not overly fond of parsley either so I really don't know that it's something I could choke down.

I totally want to get that book though!

Last edited by goinforthegold; 11-09-2007 at 06:06 AM.
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I would like to try it but will have to cut it down .I have a good sized blender but would have a hard time fitting all that stuff in, I'm wondering if a juicer would be better. A head of celery would completely fill my 42 ounce blender .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

With a juicer, you wouldn't get the fiber.

I drink a spinach smoothie every morning and it is awesome, you can't taste the spinach. Although I use a magic bullet type thing so it is a single serving.

That recipe does look interesting though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #5  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Thank you thank you thank you for putting this on. My grandfather watched the show and asked if I could get him the recipe - you made it so easy for me.
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM   #6  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Nelie, what else do you put in your spinach smoothie to mask the taste? I really need to try something like that because I'm very anti-veggie and definitely don't get enough of them. I tried some powdered "green" something or other a few years ago that was supposed to give you a full days worth of vegetables but it was disgusting to drink. I like veggies that don't taste like veggies!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #7  
Just Me

Honestly, it is a very easy taste to mask. I stuff my cup full of spinach and all I taste is fruit.

I put 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup of berries, 1 tbsp of ground flax and about 2 cups of packed spinach. I only use fresh young spinach.

If you aren't sure, you could start just adding a few leaves and see how you like it and then just add more and more.

When I used half an apple, half a banana and some berries, my smoothie kind of tasted like a creamy apple juice. It was really good. I imagine Dr Oz's drink probably also tastes like a form of apple juice.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Honestly, it is a very easy taste to mask. I stuff my cup full of spinach and all I taste is fruit.

I put 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup of berries, 1 tbsp of ground flax and about 2 cups of packed spinach. I only use fresh young spinach.

If you aren't sure, you could start just adding a few leaves and see how you like it and then just add more and more.

When I used half an apple, half a banana and some berries, my smoothie kind of tasted like a creamy apple juice. It was really good. I imagine Dr Oz's drink probably also tastes like a form of apple juice.
Apple juice is just one of those things that overpowers everything it's thrown in with, I think. I've made some pretty funky juices/smoothies/blends and if I throw in apple or two in there, that's pretty much what I taste. Same with beets.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #9  

I would like to see the blender that Dr. Oz uses, it must be enormous. If my Black and Decker blender were any bigger I wouldn't be able to lift it. I have no problem with the ingredients just wondering how you fit them into a normal household blender. So I would probably cut the recipe by at least a fourth.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #10  

I googled Dr Oz green drink and got several versions they are basically the same they call for 1 stalk or 1 rib of celery! that makes a big differance , I think my Black and Decker can handle that,
Old 11-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #11  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I googled Dr Oz green drink and got several versions they are basically the same they call for 1 stalk or 1 rib of celery! that makes a big differance , I think my Black and Decker can handle that,
Yeah, I was going to say that I thought it was 1 stalk of celery too!
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Did any of you watch Dr. Oz on Oprah earlier in the week? The topic was YOU: Younger, and discussed anti-aging tactics. One of the points mentioned was eating whole foods, and avoiding processed foods. Actually, most of everything suggested would fit in well in this forum Dr. Oz shared his recipe for a green concoction that he drinks regularly.

* 2 cups spinach
* 2 cups cucumber
* 1 head of celery
* 1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger root
* 1 bunch parsley
* 2 apples
* Juice of 1 lime
* Juice of 1/2 lemon

Put it all in a blender and enjoy. I think you are also supposed to add a little bit of water. It should make a few servings, but it looks easy enough to cut down for 1 or 2 servings. I haven't tried it yet.
I think you need to try this first since you are our fearless leader!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
I agree! I'll wait for the Official Review!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #14  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheree View Post
Yeah, I was going to say that I thought it was 1 stalk of celery too!
I copied the recipe from Oprah's site. It looks larger than the one they showed on the tv show. They recommended 4 stalks of celery on the show, along with 1 apple and I can't remember what else. It's just about portions. I taped the show, I need to go check it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
HA! I'm shopping this weekend, if I can find all of the above organic then I'll definitely try it
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #15  
Just Me

Ok I tried a version of the concoction and I have to say it is good...

I don't have parsley and I don't like parsley so I don't think I'd use it as it has a fairly strong taste unless it is cilantro which I love (sorry Suzanne). I also forgot that ginger was part of the recipe so I didn't add that

First shake I made
1/2 apple
1/2 small frozen banana
1 small celery stalk
4-5 inch piece of english cucumber
1 cup of packed spinach
dash of lemon juice
water

I've been eating spinach smoothies every morning for a month and I have to say even I was skeptical of the concoction that I put in my blender cup. Despite my trepidation, it tasted good. Kind of like a blended waldorf salad. The apple and celery were prevalent flavors which may be why it made me think of a waldorf salad.

Even though I was using the shake as a snack, I decided that it was good enough for another try and to be my dinner or at least part of it so I made another one.

1 stalk of celery
5-6 inch piece of english cucumber
2 frozen strawberries
1/2 apple
1/2 small frozen banana
1 1/2 packed cups of spinach
dash of lemon juice
some unsweetened "wild berry zinger" herbal tea
water

Second shake was better than the first. The slight taste of celery was still there but it basically tasted like a fruity smoothie.

I don't particularly care for the taste of celery but I don't mind it. Really though if it is a flavor you hate, then I'd omit the celery. Otherwise you don't taste the cucumber or the spinach.

Next time I'll have to remember ginger.

Last edited by nelie; 11-09-2007 at 06:22 PM.