3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Whole Foods Lifestyle

Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

How do you deal with the expense?

Old 02-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #31

S/C/G: 261/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Please excuse the newbie question, but what is a CSA? What all do they involve? How do you find one?
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:38 AM   #32
Working My Way Back Down

Dark, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.

It's a way for the food buying public to create a relationship with a farm and to receive a weekly basket of produce. By making a financial commitment to a farm, people become "members" (or "shareholders," or "subscribers") of the CSA. Most CSA farmers prefer that members pay for the season up-front, but some farmers will accept weekly or monthly payments. (from this website )

They work various ways, but basically you get fresh seasonal fruits and veggies, similar to those you'd buy at a farmers' market, that is local and perhaps organic. But, you get them regularly, and for the most part you don't get to choose what you get. The one I belong to tells me a few days ahead what they're sending, and I can substitute up to 5 items either by doubling up on something else or choosing a substitute from a list. It's a great way to try new things, and the price - at least for me - is no more than buying mediocre produce at the grocery.

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh

Last edited by WaterRat : 02-18-2008 at 01:38 AM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #33
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeow View Post
I belong to a recipe club that suggests you buy for only 3-4 days at a time and actually PLAN your meals as well as snacks. That way there is not a bag of carrots or apples rotting in your fridge. Wasted food is a big money zapper.

I think wasted food is a huge issue. I know I'm guilty of buying all my fruits/veggies at the beginning of the week - then close to the end I find it all not so great - and that is when I head to the junk/processed foods.
I believe the key is buy fresh, ripe foods 3 times a week.

My facebook profile

next weight goal:
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.