Some organic foods may not be so organic for much longer

• http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,5634956.story

I wondered when this would happen.

We THINK we're eating organic..... but are we really? Once these standards relax for just a few products, it will continue. And pretty soon just about any food grower will be able to slap an "organic" seal on their products, whether they're fully organic or not.
  • It is so sad how this is happening. I am lucky in that I live in an area where I can actually KNOW the people who grow a lot of the food I eat, and trust them to practice what they preach (it's a lifestyle and not a gimmick to make $$$ to them).
  • Quote: It is so sad how this is happening. I am lucky in that I live in an area where I can actually KNOW the people who grow a lot of the food I eat, and trust them to practice what they preach (it's a lifestyle and not a gimmick to make $$$ to them).
    Oh you're so lucky! I grow some of my own vegetables. But, of course, I don't have the room for a big garden like my parents had. They grew just about everything, including beans and corn. We had such fun as kids going out to the garden and picking all of the fresh vegetables. Quite possibly where my love of fresh vegetables began.
  • I think it's disgusting, myself. what started out as a small grassroots movement started to appeal to the greater population, then big business had to step in and *******ize the whole philosophy.

many organic purists have been wary of the 'usda organic' label from the start, simply based on the premise that it is issued by a government organization.

I am hoping that what will happen is that an independant certification org. will develop to the point that it is what organic purists will know to look for as the standard of organic.

the USDA seal was helpful in the begining, being the only thing we had to go by, but if they are going to do this crap, thier seal will become meaningless. they can go ahead and lower thier standard. the organic movement will just have to work hard to get the word out that "usda organic" isn't organic at all.
    If people quit buying it,they may cave and revert it, but i don't see that happening easily. Too many people trust labels, --as they should be able too-- and are too busy to stay up-to -date on laws and regulations.

Sorry for the rant.
    I guess some things are always going to be uphill battles.

we just have to stay educated so we can make the best food choices.

bye,
    kb.
  • I don't know if it's just the stores I go to, but lately the organic vegetables have been looking a little sad. The sweet peppers have had wrinkled skin and the celery and other lettuces and cabbages have been flimsy and wilty and they look just plain awful. So I've turned to buying the regular vegetables as of late because they simply look better. The organic veggies look like they've been sitting around for weeks.