Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #1  

Default May Exercise - Sweat Washes off, Fat doesn't

Happy May Day ladies and so begins the new challenge for the month. Quite a few of you have been scarce and probably not getting in yor exercise. You need to get back on the stick because this is for the rest of your life so why wouldn't you want the rest of your life to start right now?? I know everyone is busy but please check in and don't forget to cheer on your fellow sweaty chicks because we ALL need support on this journey!

My plan is to continue with my 350 minutes a week with hopefully my shoulder improving so I can do more things with weights and my tummy improiving so I can stop taking this freaking medication!!

So get busy and get to sweating!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

LMAO..."sweat washes off, fat doesn't" I am begining to look forward to whatever crafty title Linda has for the new month! This is the best one yet, IMHO!

I was waiting to post today, after Linda started the new sticky. I must confess, last week I was busy, and did not get enough exercise in. (aside from the "olympic" walking I did on Saturday, shopping! )

Today, I decided to do the 2mile watp tape. Albeit, I didn't really push myself, just did it at a nice pace. It was a good return to movement for me. It is nice outside. I am feeling a bit blue today...no reason in particular...just one of those days when you want to hibernate....but I know what I should do is get outside for a walk later. I may try to get that in, before the kids get home and I need to start carting everyone here and there. Last week, I also need to admit, that I did not journal my food. I set my spreadsheet up today though, and tracked it from yesterday.

Linda, you have a good plan, as usual. Hope all your maladies are better soon. See, we all need to be like you. Even in the face of medical issues, you still chug along--doing what needs to be done! Bravo!

Jenn, glad to see all is well. I know you have been busy, busy! But I also know you are still chugging along as well with your diet and exercise!

Lwyr, what gives, chickie? OK, you pass the bar, and abandon us? JK! Have the partners given you alot more work now? Hope to see you soon!

Everyone else...check in! We need you, even if the message is breif or you can only stop by once in awhile....and uh, it's may....weren't you all going to do another challenge?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #3  
"workin' on my fitness"

Height: 5'10"

Evening, ladies. A late pop-in for today. Good news- board meeting last night, and all went well. Hubby is back on the board, and is VP. 4 members are from prior boards, and now maybe we'll see some action as far as getting the roof done, and other issues in the community so that I can fix the old house (can't do squat until the roof is done) and sell it, and finally move on with life. Wouldn't that be nice?

Slept in today, and it was nice to be able to play hooky. My glasses were ready, so I went out and picked those up, and we finished planting another one of the 4 foot key lime trees. I think we've got enough to qualify for agricultural exemption by now.

Linda- I love the title. Yup, sweat washes off. Sweat drips in your eyes, and lets you know that the fat is coming off. No sweat, well, no fat loss. It doesn't wash off, no matter how hard you scrub. Dead skin cells weigh a few 100ths of an ounce, and no scale is going to be fooled by that, now are they? Of course, if you exfoliate, trim your bangs, and shave both legs and both pits, you may get .1 to register

Ok...the big 3 for this month....my personal challenges. Get 100 miles in with WATP, and the bike. 200 minutes per work week, and keep the buns moving over the weekend, with structured exercise, and plenty of "butt in action" things like gardening, going through boxes, climbing to put boxes up in the attic, etc. No sitting around gathering dust. Keep up with the 10+ glasses of water. Get back to 1 can of diet soda per day, since a few extras have crept in there lately. That's why you can't get to sleep, dork. The 8pm diet coke isn't going to act like Nyquil. Duh. Drink more water, or Crystal light. Foodwise, keep prepping in advance, and keep under the 1800 calorie maximum we've calculated. 4 servings of veggies per day, and at least 3 servings of fruit. So far, this has been the key to the success. Keep this up and we WILL see the -70 this month. Oh, and keep Memorial Day weekend with mom & dad over under control- this is NOT an excuse to go nuts for a long weekend and gain back what you lose during the other 25 days in the month.

Ok...and on that note, it is time to go heat up some chicken vicious, brown rice and green beans (tossed in the dressing used for the asian noodles) and get ready for tomorrow. Tonight is upper body while watching House, and then getting my buns to bed.

Happy May, ladies!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 226/209/125

Height: 5'2

I have not posted recently but i have still been exercising. it has just been hectic, that's all. the contest at the gym is almost over. I am going to come in third but that's ok. my goal is to get 100 points and as of yesterday evening i was at 87. 13 more to go and 3 more days. i can do it, but my family will have to be neglected for a little bit. that's ok they will get over it! the only thing i have to do that i can't blow off is a meeting at the high school for upcoming freshman. yes you heard me HIGH SCHOOL! my baby is going to high school. i just can't believe it. so i may not quite reach 100 but i am gonna give it h e double hockey sticks til they close the doors on friday if that is what it takes!
so what exactly is the challenge for May?
you know i'm in!
well gotta go, talk to all you sweatty chicks later....amy
Old 05-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #5  
hara hachi bu

Mind if I jump in?

"Sweat washes off, fat doesn't" ... awesome!

I've found two activities that I can do weekly that are easy and fun. I've started attending an aerobics class with a friend, and I began rollerblading every week with another set of friends.

I also biked to the video store last night. Only about 4 miles round-trip, but better burning sweat than gas.

Last edited by phantastica; 05-03-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #6  

Happy to have you join us phantastica!

Today, I did a WATP tape, the 2 mile tape...and I feeel pretty good about it. I did it yesterday too, but because of time restraints, I only did part. I think I am getting bored of the treadmill, and although I have enjoyed walking in the park and around the lake, the weather isn't always accomodating to outdoor activities around here...and I am just not one to brave the elements....sorry.

I remembered today, one thing I absolutely hate about the watp tapes. It is the people who are exercising along with Leslie and the things they do and stupid comments they make...it annoys me...and since it is a tape...they do it every single time! They should just exercise and keep their mouths shut!

Anyway.....

Amy, third place is FANTASTIC!!!!! I am so proud of you! btw, I also joined that mindless eating challange...what the heck? it couldn't hurt and quite frankly, I love giving out my opinions! LOL I sent my oldest off to high school last year...so I feel your pain, chickie! LOL Atleast you still have the little guy to cuddle with!

Jenn, So glad you are doing well....diet pop is a hard habit to break, for sure...it is almost addictive, if you ask me. But you are strong! Hurray for getting on with the repairs and sale of your other home! That will be a big load lifted off your shoulders!

That's it for me today....make a good day chicks!
Old 05-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/164/135

Height: 5'4

Ooooh, a new thread! A new month! A new me! Ok, not sure about the last one, but I am definitely up for starting fresh from the beginning of the month and seeing if I can stick it out for the whole time.

My goal is going to be 315 minutes a week/45 a day. That's ambitious for me, but a good compromise between the 30 minutes a day I've been doing and the 60 that is my hope. I will definitely need this thread to keep me accountable, so hopefully there will be lots of activity on it.

Yesterday I did 45 minutes of jogging. It is so nice outside! And my doggie gets exercise that way too I'm planning to do Curves tonight and maybe some more jogging too. Will check in later.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #8  
Sweet n' Sassy

Default I'm here, I'm here!!

Hi ladies!! Sorry I've been MIA (here and in the Journals...)

Been losing my mind a bit since I passed last Friday. Lots to share, but I'm running out the door right now. I'll post a longer entry tomorrow and share what all has been going on.

Linda, great title I agree with Renee - best one yet!

Renee, no abandonment, just CRAZY busy. I've been missing you guys alot!!

Welcome to the newbies!

Ok, back tomorrow with a real update. Much Love.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Mind if I join. I've pledged 1200 minutes for May.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 226/209/125

Height: 5'2

good evening ladies and a great big hug and a welcome for all of the newbies. pretty soon our group is going to be so big we will need our own website!!
today i got in 45 min of cardio and 45 of weights. i was so tired that i just wanted to go home, but i didn't so for me that is great progress. my goal was to get 100 points in the contest. after today i have 91 points and i have been trying to figure out how i am goin to get another 9 points in 2 days!! tomorrow i have to be at the high school for upcoming freshman orientation. this is just the honors program orientation, in july there will be another one for all freshman and i willhave to take a half day off work for it. yuck!
and friday night i have to be at the high school for the band banquet and awards. so i think i will be lucky to get to 95, but i will get another 10 points for not gaining weight so that will push me over a hundered. not as satisfying though. but at least the tshirts are cool!!
well chickies, i have to go now, have a good night...amy
Old 05-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/164/135

Height: 5'4

So far, so good - I only did 35 minutes of Curves last night, but did 90 minutes of yoga this morning. Three days in, I am 170 minutes toward my weekly goal of 315. And since I didn't jog yesterday, I might just go after I hit the farmers market on the way home (fresh strawberries and asparagus - yum).

----I've been waiting to use this guy!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #12  

Hey there everyone! Welcome to Lauren and Ceejay...glad you are here!

Not too much going on today...went grocery shopping and avoided the candy in the checkout aisle again....always a plus.....when I was at the store, they had samples of this most delicious thing....a gyro burger...it was homemade and they furnished a recipe, so I scrapped my original idea of bbq chix and made this. I can't see how it's not healthy, and you could substitute ground turkey easily for the beef...here are the ingredients....a pkg of ranch dressing mix, ground sirloin, chopped onions, tomatoes, lettuce, whole wheat pitas, and lf plain yogurt. Tasted just like a real gyro, no lie!

On the exercise front, I got a nice walk in this afternoon. Only about a half hour though. I am feeling kinda down today. Linda suggested that it may be because I have not totally been on program, and that is true and i am sure part of it...but I still think pms combined with the upcoming birthday is bothering me. It is ok though. This too shall pass. Overall, today was a good day. I stayed within the point range and did some exercising.

Lauren, that is a great goal...and I am glad you finally got to use the little carrot guy! LOL MMmmm fresh strawberries and asparagus, I agree, yum. I got some fresh strawberries myself today.

Ceejay, also a great goal!

Lwyrchickie, glad youre back. I don't like crazy busy...hope you find time to breathe!

Amy, you're going to look great in the new tee! Post a picture!

See all you great, wonderful, lovely ladies tomorrow!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #13  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default Holy poop! I only missed one day!

Happy end of Thursday, chickies. Wow, a nice flurry of activity. Nothing like a new month to really get a fresh start.

Welcome Phantastica! Glad you're here with us!

Renee, some of the newer WATP DVDs come with the option to just have the music, and to mute Leslie and her crew of smiling sadists. If you want to try one out, let me know. I'd be happy to send you a copy to try out. Makes it more bearable. Oh, and there's always muting her all together and doing the steps to your own music. Like Fergie, or Gwen Stefani. LOL- you'd be amazed at how it actually syncs up! LOL

Amy- 3rd place is nothing to sneeze at. Look at all the hard work you put in over the last month, and for these next 2 days. I bow to you- the successor to LindaT's throne. That in itself is an amazing feat. We're all so proud of what you've accomplished. And there is no way that you can have a child starting high school! I don't believe it! They grow up so fast, don't they? My neice just turned 10- I swear, she was born maybe 3 years ago, in my head.

Lauren, are you planning a rest day at all? I'm already worn out thinking about over 300 minutes.

Ceejay, good to see you here!

Linda, hope you're feeling more relief and that work isn't totally crazy for you.

Tonight- did my 12 miles on the bike, all intervals, between levels 2-5 for the whole thing. Ooof. At 5, I can barely get the rpms over 70, and at 2, I can get them to the 90-92 range. I can still feel the after burn, and it has been 2 hours since I finished. Sucking down my water, and I'm hoping this kick starts the month off, and is the push I need to hit my mileage goal. Food today was within my calorie range, but certainly higher on the fat and carb side. Forced lunch with coworker, boss, and a closing attorney, since it was coworker Roid's birthday. 2 words- Macaroni grill. I did get whole wheat pasta, but there is nothing good that can come from even just 2 cups of that pasta (tried to eyeball best I could, and scrape off a lot of the sauce) but the chicken was not as lean as I would have made it myself. Not a blown day, but definitely flushing all the sodium out of my system as quickly as possible. Water is at 12 cups so far, and counting. I'll be refilling my 32oz mug once I post this, and head to bed to read a little and keep sipping.

Have a great Friday, ladies!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #14  

checking in early to post my workout so far for today....

2mi watp tape, done. Promised dh I would cut the front and the back grass today (it was a trade off, since he picked dd up from the dance studio last night...I figured sitting my butt in the car wasn't going to do me as much good as getting my butt moving with the mower....LOL) I normally don't count things like housework or general gardening/yardwork...but mowing is something I definately count as exercise...we have nearly a half acre, and I cut it with a power push mower and bag the grass as I go along....trust me...it's a good workout.

Jenn, LMAO, "smiling sadists" Yup, that about sums it all up! that is so funny that you mentioned turning off the voices and listening to the mp3, because that is exactly what I did! LOL Apparently, I am more adept at reading lips than I thought though! LOL Yes, i would LOVE a copy. I will email you my address later! Thanks chickie! You are doing great on that bike....you know it makes me want to trade in the treadmill for a recumbant bike! LOL I have the old style downstairs in the basement (which is dark, and not finished...yet...) but it hurts my butt soooo much! Roids birthday, huh? What did you get her (she asks with a smirk, in a sarcastic tone....LOL)? I bet I can guess what you wanted to give her...and it involves a certain appendage on your hand! LMAO Macaroni Grill...doesn't impress me for the amount of cals and fat in the food...I mean if you are going to indulge that much, it should atleast taste like heavan! LOL They have decent bread though. Not as good as Carrabas though, IMHO. You did good. It is not easy to do good there...unless you just drink water.

make it a great weekend girls. I am going to try to pop by sometime Sat or Sun if I get a chance! LUV to all!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #15  
"workin' on my fitness"

Renee, when you are done, want to come mow our acre???? Ok, only about 1/4 of it is grass...you're welcome to come stay at the house, too....

My bike is the upright style- I think I have a pic- but it has a nice, wide seat on it, which minimizes the butt bruising and soreness. And it has some pretty cool iFit functions, and pre-programmed interval training & things like that. Got it at Sears about 4 years ago for under 200. It's well worth the cost, and sturdy as all heck! I'll look for a pic to send your way.
Closed Thread