Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #1  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Default What are your favorite high-fiber foods?

RockinRobin helped me this morning by assessing my FitDay. It is showing I lack high-fiber foods and this could possibly be why I am not seeing the weight loss results I would like to see.

So.......what are your favorite high-fiber foods? I am needing some ideas here so I can fix the areas she pointed out.

Thanks in advance! This place is wonderful!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Beans - I eat beans ever day. Lots of good fiber, protein and they are very filling.

Apples - I used to not care for apples much but now I'm really growing to like them. Of course now apple season is basically over but I'll survive.

All sorts of veggies - Carrots, Broccoli, Green Beans, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Eggplant, Cauliflower, Zucchini, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, it may be overkill but my usual breakfast is Fiber One, yogurt and frozen blackberries for 18 grams of Fiber. I try for a half cup of kidney beans most days and, with veggies and fruit, usually end up in the 30-40 grams of fiber range. You have to work at it and remember to drink lots of water or there will be "repercussions"!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #4  

La tortillas - lifesaver for me

Fiber One - Yes Ruthie is right about repercussions!

Bulgur wheat, brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat couscous, whole wheat gnocchi - all good sources. The gnocchi has a nice 8 g per serving I found out last night

Popcorn - microwave my own. Good stuff

Veggies -

Flatout bread - it used to be called Carb Down. Now It's called Light, I think. Anyway, one piece runs about 90 calories and 8g fiber

Black beans are my favorite and a nice fiber source. Pair these with some brown rice for a wonderful fiber-rific and filling meal.

I usually get over 50g a day without much effort at all, just by making a few substitutions
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Without a doubt it's Fiber One cereal. 1/2 cup - 14 gms. fiber. I sneak it in everywhere, to yogurt, salads, pudding and of course for breakfast. I even just munch on it plain.

I eat about 3 cups of cauliflower for lunch. Cauliflower has 28 calories per cup and 4 grams of fiber, that gives me another 12 right there.

There's also broccoli, asparagus, spinach all the berries, oranges, pears, lentils.

Like Nelie, I also just got into eating apples. I have a golden delicious apple, sliced thinly and sprinkled with a little cinnamon. Really, really good. If I've got some spare calories I eat it with a few almonds - more fiber and good stuff. It takes a long time to eat and feels really almost decadent. And very, very filling.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I forgot to mention there are tons of whole grains available as well -

Brown rice
Whole grain bread (check the fiber vs calorie content)
Oatmeal - steel cut oats and rolled oats (avoid quick oats)
Quinoa, Whole grain couscous, wheat berrys, millet and many other whole grains
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #7  
Starting over 3/24/2017

WOW!! You folks are terrific! These all sound so good....it almost made me hungry just reading them all. I haven't seen one thing in the list that I don't like, so this is good news for me!

My only question to the above: How do I fix/use/incorporate bulgur wheat, quinoa, whole wheat couscous, whole wheat gnocchi? I have never used them. I have seen bulgur wheat in the store but cannot place the other items. Any tips on adding these would be VERY appreciated!

And I do understand about "repercussions" for sure!

Thanks again, everyone! As always, this place has proven to be so awesome!!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Ritzy~a lot of whole grains can be prepared just like rice. In fact, my rice cooker has the instructions how to make most whole grains. I've done spelt like risotto and it was really, really good.

Oh, and a great, easy, high fiber breakfast idea is a La Tortilla ww tortilla (50 cals and I think 5 gr fiber) with 1 T peanut butter (warm in microwave for 10 seconds) and sprinkle with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Fiber one, wrap and eat. Yummy, fast and easy!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

Yum, all good ideas. I had black bean chili and brown rice for dinner last night.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #10  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Ritzy~a lot of whole grains can be prepared just like rice. In fact, my rice cooker has the instructions how to make most whole grains. I've done spelt like risotto and it was really, really good.

Oh, and a great, easy, high fiber breakfast idea is a La Tortilla ww tortilla (50 cals and I think 5 gr fiber) with 1 T peanut butter (warm in microwave for 10 seconds) and sprinkle with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Fiber one, wrap and eat. Yummy, fast and easy!
Oh, ok! Thanks so much. I am definitely new to this style of foods and am looking forward to trying these ideas! Thanks a million!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

Personally, I could eat a trough of Raisin Bran. I LOVE cold cereal. Mostly I eat the whole grain or bran cereals. I keep Fiber One on hand to mix with stuff like Special K, but bear in mind it has artificial sweetners if you are concerned about those things.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #12  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
Personally, I could eat a trough of Raisin Bran. I LOVE cold cereal. Mostly I eat the whole grain or bran cereals. I keep Fiber One on hand to mix with stuff like Special K, but bear in mind it has artificial sweetners if you are concerned about those things.

Anne
I really like Raisin Bran too. But, with me learning the wholefoods way of eating, I was thinking processed would include cereals as well, so I have avoided all but Oatmeal. Maybe you experienced wholefoods folks can correct me on that?

Thanks, Anne!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 PM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

If the cereal is made with whole grains and/or bran, the sugar content is low, and there is nothing too weird in the ingredients list, I'm fine with it. Bran is not a whole food, but since I get so many refined grains, I at least have the illusion I'm adding back something that was taken out of my diet. But last time I checked the ingredients list on shredded wheat, it was "shredded wheat." Doesn't get much better than that. FWIW, oatmeal is processed as well, steel-cut less so than rolled oats which in turn are less than instant oatmeal. I think whole grains are overlooked by a lot of people and cereal is an EASY way to get them. This is not an endorsement of the Captain Crunch lifestyle, but for my money, raisin bran is about as good as it gets. And yeah, I read the labels because not all raisin bran is the same.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:30 AM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitzyFritz View Post
I really like Raisin Bran too. But, with me learning the wholefoods way of eating, I was thinking processed would include cereals as well, so I have avoided all but Oatmeal. Maybe you experienced wholefoods folks can correct me on that?
It really depends on how strict you want to be with yourself. If we all truly ate only 100% whole foods, we wouldn't eat anything processed at all. We would be making our own pastas out of wheat, milking our own cows, baking our own breads, etc. But we have to make this a lifestyle that is feasible in today's world, so we flex when necessary. If you feel that Raisin Bran is too processed for what you hope to accomplish, then it is, but others may feel that since it is a whole grain cereal, it's fine. It all depends on where you draw your line for yourself, and how set-in-stone or flexible that line is.

For me, if I'm going to eat cold cereal, it's going to be Kashi. I feel I can trust Kashi the most to be both healthy and as natural as possible. But also for me, cold cereal doesn't fill me up at all, so I usually opt for oatmeal or a protein smoothie.

We all do what works best for us, our personal goals, and our individual lifestyles
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:37 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ritzy I have heard of very few people who eat 100% of the time, totally and completely un-processed foods. Of course I'm sure they exist and I apologize if I've offended some here at 3FC for not thinking about them in particular. IF you strive to be one of them, that's well hello, obviously your choice. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you are fairly new to this way of eating. I eating totally and completely unprocessed foods ALL of the time is really, really difficult and unrealistic to maintain for any length of time, and in my opinion not necessary. Of course there isn't ANYTHING at all wrong with it and I commend you and apologize if I've offended you or overstepped my boundaries in anyway whatsoever. I think most of us and again, of course I could be wrong, strive to eat this way MOST of the time. Of course there are all different levels of "processing" going on in foods. Of course you must decide for yourself just how much "processing" is acceptable for you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote