Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #1  

Height: 6'0"

Default Thin4Life - Week of Dec 4/06

Happy Monday morning! (I needed to go to work to rest ) I worked hard this weekend getting the house decorated. Bought the tree and even set it up myself without DH's help. He had to work. I started my baking (ones I can freeze). I found out that I had no almond extract, so couldn't do the ones I wanted to make.

I took a Pilates class on Saturday and I thought the instructor was trying to kill me. I think I'm in shape and then I take that class and My GF wants me to take a yoga class with her on Thursday and I'm going to try it although the last time I took a yoga class it wasn't something I enjoyed.

Guess what I did!!? My mother told me I should enter the modeling contest that More magazine does each year. I told her that the winners are really svelte and I didn't think I would have a chance, but I did it anyway. Are you familiar with More magazine? I really like it--it's for women over 40.

Susan, I hope your run went well. I know that when I would be away from running and then start again, it would be very difficult. Did you see any movies? If so, tell us about it.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #2  

Lisa: I am familiar with the magazine, and I think it's great that you entered the modelling contest. You go girl! Re the Pilates class, was it one of the more advanced ones? I took Essential and Essential Plus last year, and if I'd signed up again this fall I would have taken Essential Plus again. Some of the moves just escaped me in the spring. For what it's worth, I love the yoga that I'm doing now but it is very basic.

I did not get out to run on the weekend after all. My plan was to do 5 k outside yesterday. It turned out to be cold and windy - not ideal for my asthma. I would have gone to the gym but I woke up really late and played catch-up all day. That's not an excuse though; if I'd been really inspired, I would have run somehow, somewhere. I do have my gear with me today and am heading to the gym and the treadmill right after work. Then I'm off to my last stress reduction session. Hard to believe it's been 8 weeks already.

Susan
Old 12-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #3  

Hi Ladies,

A cold and blustery day, not at all like last weeks temps. The weekend was spent decorating. We put up the tree and all of the indoor decorations, I don't think we're going to do too much outside this year. Next weekend I'll do some baking and try and get my Christmas cards out. The weekend after that we're spending in Burlington, VT. DH's youngest son has a hockey tournament there and I'm going to try and get some Christmas shopping done. My son went to college in Burlington his freshman year so I'm pretty familiar with the area. I hope I can get a lot accomplished.

Lisa MORE is my favorite magazine. I love the article about the models and I also love the article about 3 women wearing a similar style and their thoughts about it. I always give my sister a subscription to this magazine for her birthday each year. Good luck in the contest and you have exactly what it takes to win...listen to your Mom!

Susan did you get to see a movie this weekend? I would also like to see Bobby..looks like it will be a good although the reviews weren't terrific. Enjoy your last stress reduction class and your workout tonight.

Well ladies I think I should try and get a bite to eat before my next meeting. Hope you're all having a happy Monday. See you tomorrow!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #4  

Right, the movie. No, I didn't get to see anything. I had intentions of going to see The Queen on Saturday nite but it didn't work out. Got back too late from the tree-lighting ceremony to go to the early move, and the late movie was, well, too late. My sister saw Bobby and liked it.

Susan
Old 12-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #5  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

I have been a bad ww. I am just soo stressed and cranky that I am not fit for public.

I'm trying really hard this week and next.

The good news is that my back feels better and I'm back (hah) to walking. Did 6 miles yesterday.

The bad news is that I found out my total cholesterol is 311. Yikes. Fasting and I don't even eat red meat.

So, back to the doctor I go and hopefully diet and exercise can bring it down.

Growing old sucks.

I'll be back later...

lala
Old 12-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone!

I had a somewhat quiet weekend. Saturday we had our Christmas party and I have to say I did pretty well with my eating. Yesterday was not so good but it wasn't something I couldn't set right.

It's pretty cold here today--25 and we've had off and on snow showers. It's hard to believe that last week at this time it was 66!

Lisa: I've heard of More magazine but haven't really looked at it--I might just have to do that! I enjoyed the yoga class I took--it really taught me to relax although it took me a good 4 weeks to get to that point. I've never tried Pilates but have heard it's really good for strengthening your core muscles. I haven't started baking yet.

Susan: I don't have asthma but I do know how hard it is to catch your breath when it's cold out when I'm out walking. Good for you for going to the gym tonight!!

Lala: Don't beat yourself up too much--we all hit those patches where it's not good. Walking is great--I love it and it's my main form of activity. I wear a pedometer every day to make sure I'm getting enough activity. It takes some extra moving to get 10,000+ steps in a day. The cholesterol is pretty high--you can get it down with diet and exercise in most cases. I know for me genetics play a big part with my bp and cholesterol; like you I don't eat a lot of meat, fried foods, etc. I have a friend here at work that eats oatmeal every morning and has been using red rice yeast supplement and her cholesterol has come down quite a bit.

Short week for me--I'm off Wednesday afternoon and Thursday evening DH and I are heading to Chicago for a long weekend. I have my meeting on Saturday but Friday and Sunday will be spent along Michigan Avenue and State Street
Old 12-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #7  

First snowstorm of the season yesterday. They were forecasting 2 cm - we got 20!! By the time afternoon rush hour rolled around the roads were atrocious - greasy and gridlocked. It took me 45 minutes to get 6 blocks. Thankfully things got a lot better after I got out of the downtown core.

Good to see you back here lala. That's too bad about your cholesterol level. Is this something you've experienced in the past?

Melissa: I didn't get to the gym because of the weather, but I will go today. Have fun in Chicago.

Pam: I was going to do some baking this year and bring it home with me, but then I thought about how much food we always have and how we all complain about eating too much. So I'm not going to bake. Instead, I'm going to go through my cookbooks to find some recipes to bring home with me and make when I'm there - recipes for main courses. I've already found a breakfast/brunch one that might be good for Christmas morning.

Hi Lisa. Will you be going to yoga class on Thursday or have you decided against?

My weight is hovering in the 148 range. Sometimes it's slightly less, sometimes a little more. I have not been eating well - actually, not getting enough veggies is more to the point. And eating too much refined sugar. I don't feel good, in general terms. I know I have to make some changes. I start every day with good intentions but they disappear by the time I get home at nite. I need to do something different.

Susan
Old 12-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #8  

Hi ladies,

We got our first snow of the season today, no accumulation just some flurries. I usually enjoy the first snowfall but not this time. It just seems too early this year, but I know it isn't, all the warm weather we've been having has tricked me into thinking winter is farther away than it really is.
Went to physical therapy this morning and my shoulder is really sore. Lots of stretching today but the therapist thinks it's improving. I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Susan Like you I start each day really good. I developed a plan that I will only eat what I pack and bring to work each day. I'm trying to stay away from our cafeteria and vending machines. The problem is when I get home I immediately start to nibble while making dinner. I've got to make time to have a snack before I leave work to tide me over until dinner.

lala sorry about your cholesterol level. Will your doctor try and control with medication? Yes, I agree growing older sure has it's challenges.

Melissa I hope you have a great time in Chicago. I also read that story regarding Marshal Fields. I think Macy's probably should have kept the Fields name. Macy's replaced Filene's in my area and I think there pretty comparable. Macy's seems to be sending out a lot of flyers and coupons though.

Hi Lisa hows your weather. I'm sure it's warm and sunny..I so envy you living in Florida!

Well ladies time to get back to work. Have a great day!
Old 12-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #9  
si, si signora

Hi all,

Pam, we have already had three separate snow events. Ick.

Susan - wow, that is alot of snow, darn forecasters. Weight looks great.

Melissa -- I am soo jealous. I love Chicago and Marshall Fields. I am bummed to see it go to Macys. West coast macy's suck, I hope that the East Coast version is better.

Lisa -- the magazine is great. I'm soo impressed and proud of you to do that.

My cholesterol has never been checked. My mom's is high, my dad's is fine, my brother's is fine.

I'm seeing the doctor next wednesday to see what we can do without drugs first.

This am is the gyno! woo hooo.

I did get my deductible taken care of in the first three minutes of the new year.

lala
Old 12-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #10  

Hi all.

I was thinking after re-reading my last post that my weight is distributed very differently than it used to be. It must be due to age. I now think I'd have to lose at least another 15 lbs to look svelte. Sigh...

On a positive note, I got to the gym yesterday. Did an upper body weight work out and 25 min on the treadmill before my left knee started up. I did not push it, I'm happy to say. Maturity must be kicking in.. Did another 45 min of yoga following my condo board meeting last night, so a pretty good day exercise wise. I feel better today although muscles are a little sore.

It occurred to me early this morning that I only have two weekends left before the trip home for Christmas. I need to take stock of gifts this weekend to make sure I am truly finished.

What are your weekend plans? I'm hoping to get out with a friend on Friday nite for some live music. Pretty quiet otherwise.

Susan
Old 12-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #11  

Hi Ladies,

Woke up to a little snow on the ground this morning but tomorrow we should have a bit of a warm up. Unfortunately cold temps are due on Friday and that's when our new door is scheduled to be installed...it will be freezing in the house while that work is being done. Don't know why we didn't schedule it sooner. Just had a lean cuisine for lunch and don't have any idea what to make tonight for dinner. I think Lauren want's salsa chicken but it seems like we have chicken so much. What's everyone else having tonight??

Susan you are really doing well with your exercising. I have noticed that my shape has changed a lot over the past few years. My stomach was always an area I never worried about, it was flat and I thought looked pretty good. Since turning 40 it seems like most of my weight gain seems to settle in my stomach and I now have a lovely little pouch going on. I really can't stand it. I also used to be much thinner on top but have noticed lately my arms getting a little flabby. Unfortunately this shoulder injury is really affecting what I can do in terms of exercise.

lala I hear ya on getting that deductible taken care of. My healthcare plan has a 6/30 year end and I think my HRA should be used up by the end of this month.

Hi to Melissa and Lisa...Have a great day!
Old 12-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #12  

Height: 6'0"

Susan, good for you getting your exercise in. Watch that knee. Yep, my shape has changed, too. And, like Pam, any weight seems to go right to the abs. I thought I was done with my shopping, but now DH came home with a notice that there is a poor family his floor is supporting, so more gifts to buy AND then he got an email about an upcoming holiday party and we are expected to take a dish to share AND a gift. sigh.

Pam, Argh, I can't stand those flabby arms; they're so difficult to tone up. At least you have an excuse with your shoulder; what's my excuse except for being older??? Sometimes I think I eat too much chicken.

lala, I think our health visits go in cycles. It's good that you know about your cholesterol as it can be very bad. Maybe it will give you the impetus to get serious again.

Plans for the weekend? Let's see, I hope to see my friends in a Holiday Revue on Friday; I'm in the play on Saturday, and I have a concert on Sunday. In my spare time, ; ) I'll be getting my hair colored, going to lunch with a GF, housework, and more baking.

I think Melissa has gone to Chicago. Hello to Austingal, Liz, anyone else.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #13  
si, si signora

Weekend plans?

Finish paper, put together presentation, get house ready for 40 cookie monsters.

Get ready for trip to London on Thursday.

Yikes.
Closed Thread