Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:43 PM   #1  

Default Homemade Chicken Soup

Hi,

My mother-in-law makes me the best chicken soup with chunks of chicken, celery and carrots. She puts the matzo balls in a different container. Can someone tell me the point value for the soup and the matzo balls?

I'm sick today and really want some!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #2  

I think it kind of depends. Does she use low fat chicken stock from a can or real chicken stock form boiled chicken? Does she use light and drak meat or just light. It's really hard to give points for a homemade item without a recipe. Soup though tends to be fairly low in points for a broth based soup. When I eat out I often order soup, I usually figure 2-3 points per cup for soup as that is what it is for progresso and other canned soups for ones that are broth based like chicken, and sometimes a bit mroe if it's a beef soup.

Matzo balls aren't in my book, but matzo meal say 1tsp= 0 points, 3tbls=2, and matzo 1board=2. I have never eaten a matzo ball, but I would guess it contains more than matzo meal. So this too would vary according to how big they are, and what else she uses to prepare them.

No offense but you asked a really broad question that can't be answered without the recipes. There's really not enough information here.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:11 PM   #3  

Default chicken soup dilemma

Dear Misty,
Thank for the response. No offense taken. I just laughed as now you know why she makes it and I do not. I had no idea that there were so many variances in the making of chicken soup.

You must be a cook!
Old 11-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

According to fitday, a matzo ball (they're made with matzo meal, egg, and I believe some oil, though its been a while since I made matzo ball soup)

Amount Per 1 matzo ball
Calories 48.02
Calories from Fat 15.2

% Daily Value *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Fat 1.69g 3%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturated Fat 0.428g 2%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.386g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.661g

Cholesterol 36.34mg 12%

Sodium 11.12mg 0%

Potassium 18.52mg 1%

Total Carbohydrate 6.21g 2%

Dietary Fiber 0.219g 1%

Protein 1.8g 4%

Alcohol 0g

Vitamin A 1 % Vitamin C 0 %

Calcium 1 % Iron 2 %

Vitamin D 1 % Vitamin E 0 %

Thiamin 1 % Riboflavin 3 %

Niacin 1 % Folate 2 %

Vitamin B-6 1 % Vitamin B-12 1 %

Phosphorus 2 % Magnesium 1 %

Zinc 1 % Copper 0 %

So figure out the points for that, then the broth and veggies, and you should have it.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

Chicken broth is usually 5-10 calories per cup (not matter if low fat or fat free). Even homemade stock is about 8 calories per cup.

Of course the veggies are free (well techincally carrots are 1 point per cup cooked but I never count them -shhhhhh don't tell).
Closed Thread