Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 09:35 PM   #16  

hey all .

Well Dora I shouldn't have bragged so soon about journalling . I made it one week . I've got to get out of this self-destructive (food wise) mode i've been in for months . I was even sort of glad that I was too sick to contemplate going to my meeting monday . I got a terrible cold type virus , I'm glad to say after being sick over a week , i'm finally starting to feel better . Of course in a household with kids , everything gets shared . The kids love daycare & Christopher loves kindergarten , so all is good there . My son , Chris , may get to be in a plumbers aprentisship program . I sure hope it happens .

Dora ,what part of Washington state might you be going to ? Remember I live in Washington state .You're right about a stair stepper & my foot . I'd probably do better if I remembered to take advil on a regular schedule . It does help some & might actually heal if i did it regularly . I never made it to Maine or the other upper reaches of the map . But , we lived in Virginia for a year . dad was actually stationed in Washington D.C. . That was right in the middle of the Watergate scandle . Mom was so excited to go to the East Coast because she'd always wanted to see it in the fall . There's a special road (to a dead presidents place ?) that is lined by trees on both sides . People from all over go there to see the fall leaves change color .

Well gotta go . kathy
Old 10-06-2001, 04:39 PM   #17  
That darlin' Texas gal!

Howdy all,
Well, no WI for me this week. We had a small slumber party for my DD's birthday. Luckily it was the same night as the school's sock-hop/carnival, so we wore them out, then brought em home. I made 6" cakes for each and gave them cake-decorating lesson. They loved it and my homemade icing (Yecccch! way too sweet) and stayed up into the wee hours.

This morning we had an icy cold front that brought home the fact my DD has no pants that fit. Dragged her shopping to find a dress, a cool sweater, and a pair of orange chenille toe socks, but no pants to be found. She's too chubby for the children's deptartment and too short for the juniors. Argh!! We have to get more exercise going. (not like I don't need it, too)

My hubby is leaving tomorrow for Roseville, CA to work for up to 6 months. Was going to be Redmond, Wa, but changed at the last minute. Now we are looking for someone to rent him a room so he won't be paying a hotel all the time. If you know anyone, holler.

Gizzi-what did the sonogram say? Are you gonna have that gall bladder removed? I hear that the procedure is a snap and you can have all the ice cream you want afterward....oh, wait a minute, that's a tonsillectomy that gets you ice cream.

kathy -I didn't get very far last week, either. Did walk three times, but it's not the same without that nip in the air. I should go walk right after this message. Just trying to recover from the shop-o-rama trip first.
Hope you are feeling better. Being sick is no fun, especially when you add little ones into the mix.

Lauren, how's tricks?

Judy, are you still out there?

Off I go!
Old 10-07-2001, 08:09 AM   #18  
That darlin' Texas gal!

Howdy all,
Just got in from a refreshing walk and I feel great!
Will be sending my hubby off to Sacramento today and trying to stay OP at the same time.

Y'all be good!
Old 10-07-2001, 10:53 AM   #19  

Greetings!

It's been a long time since I've posted. (Dora - just saw your message asking if I was still around. Thanks!) It seems I really fell off the WW-wagon and gained 12 lbs between May and Sept. Finally dragged my sorry self back to a lunchtime meeting a few minutes from my office and weighed in. Lost 4.8# my first WI after facing the music!

I'm glad I took a little time off from WW. I learned a lot. I had been on a plateau for about 6 mos, so was pretty frustrated. I found out that it's not merely enough to think you're on program -- you need to keep the journalling going in order to really track what's going on with eating. Basically, I re-learned that I really need a mechanism like journalling to keep me on track. I love to eat, and even though I now make good choices, I still can choose too much of the good stuff without a journal to keep it all in perspective.

I was travelling for business just about every week all summer until early September. Last trip was scheduled for 9/11 to Dallas -- obviously, didn't go. Now, we're so busy at work I can't afford to travel. I'm getting itchy feet and want to get back on a plane! Particularly now that my airline of choice (Delta) is offering all sorts of mileage incentives to get people back on their planes (I'm always looking to rack up the frequent flyer miles).

Kathie - like you, I have plantar fascitis caused by a bone spur in my left heel. It's really a bummer. I bought a nice treadmill and was using it regularly but the p.f. really comes on with force after 1 session, causing me to take too much time off between sessions. Let me know if you find something effective that really helps out and I'll do the same for you. I suspect it is just Advil, unfortunately.

Dora - glad that your husband found a contracting job. Will he be travelling back and forth each week so you see each other on the weekends? I'm sure there'll be some challenges associated with his being away so much. At least right now airline tix are generally really cheap.

Hope everyone else is well.

Judy in MA (the leaves are just starting to turn this far south in NE)
338/247/175
Old 10-07-2001, 10:11 PM   #20  
That darlin' Texas gal!

Howdy again, all

Judy -glad to see you back. Hey, you did better than me this summer. My DH being laid off seemed like a reason to absolutely stuff myself like a madwoman. I've added 20#, sorry to say.

A note about the PF situation. The best thing I ever did for this is get a pair of obscenely expensive walking shoes. Made by Mephisto at $250.00 I have high arches, so I added a pair of arch supports and could walk all day in them. But, I've lost enough weight that those shoes are way too wide and I haven't been able to bite the bullet on another big shoe bill...luckily, the pf virtually disappeared with the weight. Still have to wear really good, expensive-type shoes, though.

Wish I could travel to Judy's part of the country. It's on my list of places to see....

My DH is looking for a room to let to keep expenses down. If any of you know someone with a guest room in Northern Sacramento... He may even buy a really cheap car and pay the liability insurance if public transportation isn't available. We'lll play that one by ear. Right now we are just praying that he is the right person for this job. He is feeling a bit stretched in this position and was hired over the phone. I just know he will perform splendidly. Can you tell I'm proud of him?

Gotta go empty the dryer.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:55 PM   #21  
Senior Tortoise

Hi, everyone! It's good to "see" you all again.

Judy, great to have you back! I've been thinking of you lately and wondering how you were doing. I've also found that these "breaks" from the program have been good learning experiences. Sometimes we learn more from *not* doing well. Like you, I found I have to track. Always. Forever and ever, amen. When I stop, I gain. It's that simple.

Dora, congrats to DH! I hope he finds a good place to live soon.

About the PF ... here's what has helped me.

1. Taking Celebrex. DH is a podiatrist, so we get free samples. It's so much more effective for me than Advil, though Advil does help IF I take it regularly and don't miss a dose. The important thing is to keep the inflammation at bay, and that means taking the meds on a regular schedule. I now take Celebrex whenever I feel even a hit of the PF returning. Nips it in the bud.

2. Keeping off my foot as much as possible; keeping it elevated and iced. This is what I do when the PF is acting up. And I'll have to do this for a good month or two (once it was even three), until the inflammation is gone. You should try to elevate it above your heart level. That's when it does the most good.

3. I got custom-made orthotics (from DH), and I wear them all the time. Even in slippers. I wear my (New Balance) cross-training shoes 99.9 percent of the time, even with dresses! It's not my preference, because I would really like to wear stylish shoes. But this is what keeps my feet healthy. DH says that as I continue to lose weight, I'll probably be able to wear other shoes more. How's that for inspiration?

4. I replace my shoes every six months. It's not fun, but it keeps my feet in working order. I can really tell if I wait too long to replace my shoes; the PF starts threatening to kick in again.

OK, now about my vacation.

It was marvelous. It got progressively better and better. I started out with a terrible cold, which meant I didn't see much of Kennebunkport, Maine. I got better while we were visiting friends in Freeport, Maine. It was fun to see them, although I can't say I found it relaxing being around four small, extremely active children for hours at a time! They're all cuties, though, and our friends are fantastic parents. I was impressed. Maine -- what I saw of it -- is beautiful.

Then we went to the Adirondacks (as we do every year) and visited our friends there, and it was magical as always. My girlfriend and I spent our usual day toodling around Vermont, too, and gawking at the colors.

I got in a fair amount of walking, and I tracked everything, although if I really wanted to eat something, I did. I found, though, that I had no trouble eating much smaller portions than I used to -- just a bite or two of dessert, for example, was enough. I wore my "skinny" jeans (18W) most of the time, and they never got too tight.

This morning I found that I'd lost a pound on vacation, which is a great bonus. We'll see what the WW scales say tonight.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/209/199 by Christmas (home scales, a.m.)
Old 10-14-2001, 06:44 PM   #22  

New thread time . Kathy
Closed Thread