Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/185.7/160

Height: 5'8

Default Let's talk fast food commericials......

now that we all 'know-what-we-know" from WW, what fast food commericials just make you nuts (or is it just me that cringes over some of them)???

For example, mine is Carl's Jr....their commercials make me insane. Especially the one about the Guacamole Six-Dollar Burger. That thing should be called the "$6 Heart Attack". After seeing it advertised over & over, I looked up the nutrional value...are you ready for this???
Calories: 1120
Fat: 81grams
Fiber: 6

A whopping 28 Points! Holy smokes!

No wonder our society struggles with our weight ....

So tell me, now that you have 'wised up' what just freaks you out????
Old 09-18-2006, 06:34 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

None of them make me feel that away because once in a while those can be fitted into any weight loss/maintenance program if one so chooses to have it.

My favorite burger is Jack-in-the-Box Sour Dough Jack and it is 17 points. I can still get in all my nutritional requirements and enjoy this burger on occasion. I lost weight and am now maintaining it even eating something like this. This is where the use of FPs and/or APs come in.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I -hate- the new commercials referring to things as "snacks", like the new McDonalds "Snack Wrap". You're thinking "I'll just get a little snack"...and who needs 330 calories worth of fried chicken, cheese, ranch dressing, and white flour, as a SNACK no less! and almost 800 mg sodium!

Also, the whole Taco Bell "Fourth Meal" campaign...because Americans really need a 4th meal of food full of fat and sodium.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #4  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I hate the ones that show a family sitting down to a big meal of deep-fried fat! Especially KFC, where they're eating biscuits with gravy, fries, fried chicken, pop, lord only knows what else. I think these bother me most because there is no way kids should be eating this junk, and it comes across as if this is normal food for a family dinner. What happened to making kids eat their veggies?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #5  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I guess I don't pay much attention to the commercials unless I'm hungry, then I'm all about not allowing food commercials to be run after like 7 pm.....It just makes you want to go to the kitchen and forrage for food!

Knowing what I now know about WW has made me a fanatic, though! I don't put anything in my mouth without figuring the points first. And if DH is putting it in his mouth, I'm looking it up too telling him I wouldn't eat that! He decided he needed a Nutty Bar after dinner tonight. I couldn't stand just watching him so I looked it up....9 points! YIKES! and that was on a full stomach right after dinner no less! Yes, it looked good, and even smelled good too....but holy cow! I could have like 5 or 6 or more things for 9 points!

The other thing working in my favor is my 16 DS who had microbiology in high school last year. If the 9 points weren't enough, I have vivid images of him telling me what is in that stuff! Enough said!!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_ttw View Post
I hate the ones that show a family sitting down to a big meal of deep-fried fat! Especially KFC, where they're eating biscuits with gravy, fries, fried chicken, pop, lord only knows what else. I think these bother me most because there is no way kids should be eating this junk, and it comes across as if this is normal food for a family dinner. What happened to making kids eat their veggies?
I respectfully disagree with the perception of this meal. I see it as an occassional meal not the norm. And actually KFC isn't that bad if you remove the skin/breading. A breast at KFC w/o skin is only 3 points (about the norm), and there are veggies (while not the best healthy way to fix)...potatoes (mashed even the wedges), green beans.

Maybe I think it is not such much the fault of the 'fast food' places but our society but then again it is the RESPONSIBILITY of the parents to teach and educate and let their children know these things are fine in moderation but shouldn't be the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I -hate- the new commercials referring to things as "snacks", like the new McDonalds "Snack Wrap". You're thinking "I'll just get a little snack"...and who needs 330 calories worth of fried chicken, cheese, ranch dressing, and white flour, as a SNACK no less! and almost 800 mg sodium!
My meals and snacks on maintenance average about 300-350 each. That is 2 or 3 meals and 3 snacks...my dinner is about 400-500 calories. That point I disagree with. However like above I think that even this Snack Wrap in moderation could be very 'mentally' healthy in a healthy lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Also, the whole Taco Bell "Fourth Meal" campaign...because Americans really need a 4th meal of food full of fat and sodium.
What is this....LOL! I haven't seen any ads about this. Now I am going to have look at. But also remember that unless you have a health issue or a water retention issue many times sodium isn't bad for a person. As for the fat it really depends on the item and how it is prepared.

These are just some of my 'respectful' disagreements with some opinions...and they are just my opinion. Do not mean or intend to offend or argue.

Last edited by Kelly_S; 09-19-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/185.7/160

Height: 5'8

Quote:
What is this....LOL! I haven't seen any ads about this
Kelly, it's Taco Bell's newest ad campaign....essentially they are telling people to head on over to Taco Bell at night for their '4th meal'. Along with this they advertise that most locations are open 24hours.

I am in total agreement that all things in moderation. However, if you look at advertising, it's notmoderations at all. For every one Special K commercial you see there are a dozen (or more) fast food ones touting mega protions.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

The problem with the McDonalds ads is that they're like "You missed snacktime today"...which implies that every day, you need a 330 calorie afternoon pick-me-up. Of course if I wanted to have a snack wrap every once in a while, its not going to be an issue...but McDonalds doesn't imply that this is something you should do every once in a while.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

Check out www.fourthmeal.com, the site for Taco Bell's campaign.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #10  
Cowboy Up Chick

stacynak, Well none of the Taco Bell's here are even romotely open 24 hours so that may be why I haven't seen this ad.

mandalinn82, Thanks for the link. Like I said it is not even playing here for Taco Bell ads. BTW many nutritionists and dietiticans recommend a 200-300 calorie snack between meals for a pick me up...so on that note I agree with the 'snack concept' maybe not the food like that but yes the concept.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 207/194/155

Height: 5'8"

The one that makes me laugh is the Burger King stackers commercial. The tag line is something like: “meat, cheese, bacon, no vegetables”, said in this really deep, manly voice. Because men should disdain vegetables! Vegetables are for wussies! In the ads, there are triple and even quadruple bacon cheeseburgers shown. It seems like the intent is to make it cool for guys (it’s really aimed at guys) to thumb their noses at any kind of nutritional guidelines and indulge, because that’s what men do.

KellyS, I agree with what you’re saying about fitting these things in, eating in moderation, and educating one’s kids, but this is food that we can all do without. And I agree with other posters who have said that the messages from some of the companies aren’t about moderation and making choices, but about flouting moderation and intentionally making bad choices.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:50 PM   #12  
I'm a loser, baby!

S/C/G: 314/198/155

Height: 5'10"

Yeah, that Fourth Meal thing from Taco Bell is a little crazy.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:44 PM   #13  
Cowboy Up Chick

Michèle, Food is food and provides calories. Some is healthier and that yoru statement 'but this is food that we can all do without.' is a subjective statement.

It isn't the restaurant (fast food or otherwise)'s responsibility to educate and teach us moderation that is our responsibility.

BTW I think most of the commercials (be it food, or pain meds, or sleeping meds or material items) are just funny (sometimes haha, sometimes stupid) and I use my own (remember this is just my opinion) intelligence to make up my mind what is right for me!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #14  
Cowboy Up Chick

Oh yeah and (teasing tone) one more thing (teasing tone) I love it when someone says 'something isn't healthy' because it isn't diet/weight loss friendly. My point is the Market Fresh Sandwiches that Arby's has/had on the whole grain breads, lean meats,sprouts, veggies and yes real mayo (which is not unhealthy if used in moderation) but because of their size they weren't diet/weight loss friendly thus they weren't healthy (WINK)(WINK)!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:06 PM   #15  
I'll look like this again

S/C/G: 294/285.5/145

Height: 5'7"

I think Taco Bell really missed the boat with the "4th meal" thing. They should have jumped on the back of "Lord of the Rings" and promoted even more meals like the hobbits have. That means they could also call for 2nd breakfast, elevenses, tea, dinner, supper, and whatever else they had. Can't believe they blew that opportunity - FIRE THE MARKETING TEAM!!!
Closed Thread