Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:16 AM   #1  
Julie - Stampin Up Demo

Default Thin4Life - Week of July 31, 2006

I am not sure if I am "allowed" to start this thread for this week - so slap my hand if I am not.

My past week has been going pretty well. I have tracked my points but I only walked a couple days - the heat has been too high for my brisk evening walks.

My husbands company had their annual Family Picnic Saturday and I played bingo and won a $50 gas card - I was so excited since I usually win. Thank goodness since my car is in need of gas! It was a good day with lots of activities for the kids. Not too much on the food choices for me but I limited my intake!

Have a good week
Old 07-31-2006, 11:00 AM   #2  

Height: 6'0"

Julie, thanks for the starting the thread. Of course you can start it any time. Congrats on the gas card. That's a great prize nowadays.

I hear you with the heat. I'm out at 6 AM for my walk or run; I just don't do well in the heat. Although DH and I played golf yesterday in 90 degree weather. It was not fun; I was glad when we finished.

We went to a party on Saturday night. That was a good time. I ate some stuff I shouldn't have, but I ate better yesterday.

Last night I went to a play audition. We'll see. I need a Southern accent and it doesn't sound very good, but I tried.

Melissa, I'm glad you got your walking in on your vacation. You probably didn't gain. I don't remember you telling us that your DS #1 got the job--that's great. How does he like it?

lala, did you find your friend some housing?

How is everyone else?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:52 PM   #3  
Ready to Offer Support!

Hi, all. Taking a quick moment out of a horrendous work day to do a short drive-by posting.

Julie - Hi, there. Nice to meet ya! Love the pic. I may try to load one of mine on to the site one day. I also have a child (DS) in high school, and we made a couple college trips this summer. He is also intersted in a career in the health professions. So far, dentistry (orthodontics) has caught his interest. He is only a sophomore, though, so things could change.

Lisa - I also hear everybody about the heat. Golf in 90-degree weather doesn't sound like much fun. I've been either swimming, or going to walk early in the morning, while it is still relatively "cool" here in the Lone Star State (i.e., less than 95 degrees). If y'all have any trouble with that Southern accent, you just let me know, ya hear?

Melissa - sounds like the vacation was very nice. I didn't realize that my DS and your DS#2 are about the same age. Mine is still in the cute, laid back stage, but I am waiting any moment for the rebellious teen within to rear its ugly head.

Pam - Love your pic too!! You look great. I am doing Core and having a lot of success. I still have about 20-25 lbs to go to get back to goal, but it has been relatively painless so far. I really love the plan. Not sure if I could answer all your questions, but I'll be happy to try to answer those that I can.

lala - If I am ever in a bind, I hope that I have a friend like you around!! Good luck with getting your friend a place to stay. I, also, am curious about how the blueberry recipe turned out.

Have a good week, all. A big "Hi" to any lurkers and anybody else I missed.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Julie: Thanks for getting the thread up and running Any one can start the thread. It's been hot here as well so doing any major walking outside is out. We have heat advisory bulletins for today and tomorrow. I got back on track yesterday and I don't think I did all that bad while I was on vacation last week. The only thing that I wasn't good on was getting my water in. I didn't want to have to stop for the BR every hour

Lisa: The heat/humidity is a lot like FL at this point--I haven't been outside for any amount of time. I don't do well with the heat either. DS #1 is happy about working--right now he's a "receptionist" or as I told him the "desk clerk" if he doesn't like the receptionist term. He opens up the Center at 5:30 a.m. each morning. The nice part is that it won't interfere with his classes in the Fall. He has orientation today and tomorrow at the hospital since it's affiliated with one. I'll be happy if I stayed the same. TOM is done so hopefully that'll help.

Austingal: DS #2 will turn 15 on Friday *sigh* and he's still pretty laid back. He was good on vacation--got up early and was a "perfect gentleman" so that was a bonus. We came home and it was a complete turnaround--he's always trying to impress his brother and he tends to get loud around him. Between the 2 of them on Saturday I was ready to scream

Lala: Have you cooled off any? We're not supposed to see any relief until Thursday/Friday. My tomato plants are loving the humid weather--I can't wait for ripe tomatoes!

Pam: How's the weather your way? Hot/Humid too?

I had a pretty easy re-entry into work today mostly because I got a lot of stuff done before I left. Another bonus is that my boss is on vacation this week so it's kind of like having 2 weeks of vacation I feel well-rested from my time off. My GF is arriving tomorrow from FL and will be here for 10 days--I made reservations for us to visit a tearoom on Saturday so that's something to look forward to. I had my BP meds changed and so far no cough! I'm so happy! I talked with our nurse here at the university and she's on the same thing I am now and said that it doesn't cause the coughing. I was getting tired of waking up at night and hacking. It didn't help either when I was working at WW and would get a coughing fit.

I'll fill you in more later about vacation. It's good to be back--missed checking the boards!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #5  
Julie - Stampin Up Demo

Melissa
My boss is on vacation this week also. There are 5 people in the area I work in at the hosptial and only me and another lady is here - so it feels like a vacation day almost.
Heat advisory for my area also - so it will be walking on the gazelle tonight - no outside stuff for me
Julie
Old 07-31-2006, 04:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163.4/120/132

Height: 5'1"

Hello there!

I hope you all don't mind me popping in on your thread, but I've got two weigh-ins to go until I have my lifetime membership and there's something I don't understand. When I look at all of your photos, you look so skinny, but when I look at photos of myself, I still look big. I've even gone below my goal weight (they put me at the highest weight for my height range) and below how much I weighed when I got married 10 years ago, but I still don't look skinny.

If you don't mind sharing, could you please tell me your feeling about your body and the way you looked when you first made your goal weight? I figured I'd be feeling (and looking) better than this now. Anything you'd be willing to share would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #7  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,
Sorry I'm so late. Thank you to Julie for getting us started.

Tired today, ran around all weekend and happy about it, but had a little blow up with DP this am that is really rankling me.

Argh.

We have guests for dinner tonight, which means I have to leave early to get stuff going, but it'll be fun.

My boss is in Indonesia and Australia for the next two weeks. He is always gone, so I sort of operate on my own.

Snowgal, I'm not a my goal weight () and I don't think of myself as particularly fat, just not fit. So, even at 22 lbs higher than I should be, I still feel like I photograph okay. I think it takes a while to get to happy place in your brain. It is just like getting the connection betweeen your brain and stomach when feeling full.

Everything else here is cool. Really.

I'll be back!

Stay cool peeps.

lala
Old 08-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #8  

Liz, maybe as lala says, you need to tone up or perhaps you're being too critical of yourself. Don't your friends say "Gosh, have you lost weight!" and statements like that? (which I love BTW)

Well, lifers, I got cast in the play "The Foreigner." I play Betty, the owner of the hunting lodge. It's a very funny play. I wish you could see it.

Made some BLT sandwiches last night for a light dinner and they were great. I forgot how much I like them. DH remarked that they were good, too.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #9  

Hi Ladies,

Just enough time for a quick hello to everyone. I had a mini vacation from Friday through Monday and now it's time to catch up. The weather here like everywhere else is just unbearable...I just went outside for lunch and it's close to 100. Yuck. I'll be back with more later on today.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:31 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Liz:

Welcome to our group!! I know what you're saying/feeling--it's sometimes hard to "feel" thin. I still have trouble seeing myself 20# lighter but my clothes tell a different story. I still get compliments from other members and that helps. The main thing is that you feel good about yourself--look at your "before" WW pictures and get a new picture to compare it to--that will help you "see" yourself. It's an exciting time and I still remember the excitement I had when I made goal and LT status. Give yourself a pat on the back for taking the steps to a healthy lifestyle!

Feel free to join us--we'd love to have you!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #11  
Julie - Stampin Up Demo

I weighed in this morning. I am down 1 pound - so my choices over the last week were good. I only exercised a couple times (walking only) since the temps in Ohio have been very high with the heat advisories out.

Melissa - I always have my before and current picture by my desk- that is so helpful.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163.4/120/132

Height: 5'1"

Thank you all so much for the welcome and the words of wisdom. I probably just need to get into a "thin" mindset now. Hard to do after so many years of being big, but I will try.

Tomorrow is weigh-in for me. After that, only one more before my lifetime membership! Yay!
Old 08-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #13  
si, si signora

Yeah for everyone!

Happy August 1st.

I was going to be cranky today,but I decided that a new month deserves a great start, so I made my arugula/lf feta/walnut salad, packed a peach, some carrots and some baked tortilla chips for lunch and am on way to downing my first quart of water.

So, clean start for a good month. I hope.

Did weights at the gym, need to get some cardio in today, somewhere. I hope that Ernest will be cooperative.

Last night I used Rachael Ray, no repeats as a base for making a marinade for a salmon we grilled. I used lime juice, honey, chili powder, a dash of soy sauce and cumin and DP grilled the salmon. I served it with a spinach and blueberry and walnut salad, grated yellow squash and spelt risotto from TJs.

Delish.

Blackberry crisp for dessert.

Tonight, I will open up the book and see what she has to say about roasted chicken.

We need inspiration around our house.

Does anyone have any exciting ideas for a roasted chicken?

Well, I'm going to go wandering in search of a way to stay awake... Sad, but true.

lala
Old 08-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #14  

Hi, everyone. Woo-hoo Julie for being down 1#.

lala, you always make me hungry. Are you asking how to prepare the chicken or how to add to the chicken for sides? My parents like to cook the chicken on a tall can of beer on the gas grill outside because it comes out so moist. I tried it once and it was good, but the can would not stay up (I must have been doing something wrong).

I think you northerners are having hotter temps than here! Of course, we have Tropical Storm Chris to watch. Right now it looks like it will head west, but we can't be too sure with them.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #15  
Ready to Offer Support!

Morning, all!

Liz - sorry for my late response, but welcome to our boards. You have 7 smileys, meaning that you lost around 35 lbs. I definitely agree with the other posts that you should get a "before" and "after" picture to really make the visual connection that the new you is really slimmer. I also agree that being fit will also help. Like lala, I am about 20 lbs over goal. But, I've been exercising a lot this summer due to some physical therapy I've been doing, and when I look in the mirror I can see muscle tone peeking out from under those 20 lbs. It really helps me see myself as a fit and healthy person. I recommend it!! I try to swim or walk every day, and do a few resistance exercises at my pt appointments. Nothing major, but every little bit helps!

The heat here in Texas is what you would expect at this time of year - triple-digit heat is expected all week. I swam laps last night with DD, but the water was pretty warm. Was still fun, though.

Am still trying to ignore the fact that a round of layoffs is probably looming at work. My big boss, from two states over, is flying in this Friday to try to "still the waters", but what can do? Unless he can guarantee all of us that our jobs are completely safe (which, of course, he can't do), I don't see why he is even coming. Kind of a wast of a plane ticket, in my opinion.

Lala's dinner menu is definitely inspiring. I need to get out the cookbooks to get some new ideas. Last night I made a huge chef salad for dinner. It was a nice cool dinner that worked well in this heat, but it was too light, and I was hungry a few hours later. The good thing about Core is that you can eat whenever your are hungry. I had a piece of leftover roasted chicken for my late-night snack, but still showed a tiny loss on the scale this morning.

Must run and get more work done. Have a great rest-of-the week.

P.S. Lisa - congrats on getting the new role!!
Closed Thread