Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 03:34 PM   #1  

Default 12 Week Challenge - Week 10 - Aug 20-26

Since Patch is on vacation, I thought somebody better get the next week's challenge thread up & running for all of us challengettes!! Who's with me??!!
Old 08-23-2001, 05:13 PM   #2  

I'm with you KT! And, I'd like to pose the thought-provoking question this week -

How does everyone deal with the varied comments people make about your weight loss? Friends and family can be very supportive but I have found that some comments come back again and again. The most popular one is:

"Congratulations, you look great. Now you just have to keep the weight off."

I feel so deflated and often angry when someone says this me. Again, most people are supportive but others can be hurtful, often without knowing it.

I'd love to hear your comments!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2001, 07:53 PM   #3  
Lifetimer

S/C/G: 183.6/173/140

People are just starting to notice that I am losing now. It is great when they do. What gets to me are people who remember how fast I lost my weight originally 10 years ago (I lost 55 lbs. in only 7 months). When I am elated at a 1.6 lb. loss they say, "That is all?" or "I guess any loss is OK. Maybe you'll start to lose faster soon." I don't care, I think losing 18 lbs. since May is darn good.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:01 AM   #4  
LM

To all of those rude people out there, I say, "Try it yourself. Put up or shut up" and similar sentiments. Let's face it, most people nowadays are overweight, sadly. So, let some of those underachieving tubbies try to do what we're doing and then let them talk!! ROAR!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2001, 10:13 PM   #5  

My MIL makes comments to me on occasion like if we're at a potluck or party where everyone brings a dish to pass, she will make comments like "Oh, I suppose you can't/don't eat any of that anymore" or something similar to that. I told her on one occasion that I can eat whatever I want, I just can't eat all of it all the time. That shut her up for awhile. She's not malicious really, so it doesn't really upset me; she wants to lose weight & I think is sort of jealous that I did it & have kept it off for over a year now. DH says to look at her comments as a compliment because she is envious of the fact that I have been successful.
Old 08-26-2001, 12:15 PM   #6  
REC

Hi, all.

I have a new job that I'm traveling almost 100% and it's killing me, but I love the job. My eating is OK, but not great, but it's so hard getting in the exercise. Some days I'm in my car over 4 hours.

Along with overeating a little much, underexercsing much, and not journaling, I gained 3 pounds this past month. At least I'm not doing these things from stress (out of control stuff), so I'm back on track since WI on Sat. morning. It does remind me of the opposite, though: that just eatting a little less and exercising a little more, can have big rewards over the long term.

Myra-- Congrats on your numbers. Seems like the fat is starting to melt off!

REC
Old 08-27-2001, 08:35 AM   #7  

Well, I weighed in Saturday (26th) and was up .2 of a pound. I am not discouraged though; I actually lost a couple of pounds that I had gained in between official WW weigh-ins so a minimal gain is a success!

Numbers for last week (Aug. 20 - 25)

Mon: 23.5
Tues: 21
Wed: 23.5
Thurs: 26
Fri: ??
Sat: ??

OK, I'll do better this week. No travel, maybe more time to plan. Definitely more exercise..
Old 08-27-2001, 01:54 PM   #8  

Hey there Challengettes

Boy, it's good to be back. OK... just so you know... I TOTALLY lost it this past week. I got so defiant that I just didn't even deal with writing the points down. Yes, me. That so-called poster child of who knows what - had a major fat brat attack... a complete melt down - after 4 days on vacation doing fairly well and tracking... I went AWOL. From Wednesday on, I was munching and crunching my way through cheeses, appetizers, drinks, cheese burgers, even a turkey dinner complete with stuffing. The only thing that may have saved me a bit was that I exercised pretty consistently. The points below are with the activity points ALREADY substracted... yikes.

AUGUST 20 - 25 TH just a "guesstimate"

M - 25
T -- 25
W - 37
TH - 37
F --- 25
SA - 33
SU - 47
Old 08-27-2001, 02:29 PM   #9  
Lifetimer

S/C/G: 183.6/173/140

Don't worry Patch. There is always next week. Just get right back OP. At least you had a good time.

Here is my week:

Mon 23
Tue 24
Wed 24
Thu 24
Fri 22
Sat 25
Sun 24

Range: 20-25

Working toward my second 10%
Old 08-27-2001, 06:43 PM   #10  

Thanks Myra and congrats again on your 1ST 10% yeah team!!!

OK - so I went to WW and gained 3.8 pounds. and am now back up to 136.2 versus the 132.4 when I left. I'm trying not to get too bummed about this, since I knew I was going way overboard, but geez did it have to be that much? And you're right Myra, I could not get enough of those fresh baked croissants (yes every morning).

And regarding this week's topic, it's amazing how our weight loss effects others and how they relate to us. I like what Katie's DH had to say... that we should see these people's comments as a compliment because they probably are envious of the fact that we have been successful.

Maybe though, it's that they are putting "out there" their own fears of not following through. We need to see where these prickly pears are coming from and that it may have nothing to do with us. That's when our support team becomes so critical. It's hard to be strong on your own all the time. And we don't have to.

My hubby reacted this vacation week with plying me with cocktails, and appetizers - not really because he wanted to sabotage me - but I think rather 'cause he wanted company in escaping. For him that's through the comfort of food and drink. And I obliged. For me it's a hard habit to break. And to be honest I wanted most of that stuff.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:48 AM   #11  

Patch: Even though it was hard to see the outcome of your "week off" registerrf on the scale, try not to be too hard on yourself. It's sure to come off as quickly as it went on. You've been working hard and this little setback won't stop you.

Myra: Good for you on your first 10%. According to what I read in the doctor's office yesterday, you have just decreased the risk for all kinds of nasty things like diabetes, heart disease, etc. Not to mention how much better you must feel (and look). Keep it up - that 2nd 10% will be here before you know it.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:20 AM   #12  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning everyone!

Patch: I've been where you're at...it's so hard sometimes but I would bet that some of that weight is due to water retention...did you weigh in right after you came home? I did that after my trip to FL in April and was up almost 4# and nearly had a heart attack on the scale! The following week I had a nice loss

My pet peeve when it comes to comments is "Why are you going to WW, you don't need to lose weight, you looked fine." That was the comment that bothered me the most. Sure, I only had 20# to lose but that 20# has made a big difference in how I feel. My reply has been, "because I want to catch my extra weight now before it gets out of hand". My mom was the one who would "bug" me about going. Now she's attending WW and the weight is slowly coming off. I think she was upset because she herself couldn't lose weight (5'4" and approximately 200#) and was jealous that I was able to lose and still eat what I wanted.

In checking my points, and if I'm able to keep my points around 20 today, my average points per day is 21.5. I'm curious how my weigh in tomorrow will go. I really, really want to get below the 142 mark again.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 08-28-2001, 08:58 AM   #13  

Melissa - your comment about "only" having to lose 20 pounds - don't minimize the fact about what you did - 20 lbs is a lot - plus I look at it that you are a whole lot smarter than me - you caught yourself at 20 lbs over. I, on the other hand, lost 30 lbs way back when, gained it back & had to re-lose not only the original 30, but another 15-20 pounds on top of that!
Old 08-28-2001, 12:51 PM   #14  

Thanks guys.

Seasaw, I really do appreciate the suport. I'm trying today to just focus on eating the basics and not beating myself up too badly.

And, Melissa You were absolutely on target in wondering if I weighed in right after I came home. We arrived very late this past Sunday night and I weighed in Monday afternoon. So, I'm going to cling to your thoughts about it being water retention. It was good to hear that someone else had gone through a similar weight gain experience and got through it to "lose it". Thank you. And Katie hit it on the head. 20 pounds is a major undertaking. I too like you're response to the "nay sayers" that you want to catch the extra weight now before it gets out of hand.

And Katie just look at what you've accomplished so far. Your perseverence is just amazing. Keep going gal!
Old 08-29-2001, 08:24 AM   #15  
LM

Hello, here are my numbers for last week (with exercise points deducted):

W: 21
Th: 26
F: 27
S: 37.5
S: 25
M: 19
T: 27

average points/day: 26.5

WW weighin - don't know if I lost or gained since I didn't have a real weigh in last week, but am exactly at goal weight.
Closed Thread