Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 07:21 PM   #1  

Default Countdown to 250...20th August and beyond

A new thread for sharing, supporting, and so on. Welcome to newcomers -- we're glad to have you join us ... and to familiar faces that we're glad to see back in our midst.

(It was my turn to start the thread this week, I think).

Old 08-20-2001, 07:26 PM   #2  

Today was lovely. Long trip, tiring but productive. I've come home with more bras than any one women (except me!!) could possibly want. I only wish I could fit them all. Lovely lunch at the Atlanta Bread Company -- where they had a notebook filled with their nutritional data -- so I was able to easily figure points. Even saved enough for a five point Eclair. Yum!

Weigh in today -- down TWO pounds. Total -- 13.5# to date. I'm pleased of course.

Gotta run -- lots of things to do tonight. Hope you had great OP days!!!
Old 08-20-2001, 08:11 PM   #3  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hey everybody!

Well, girls, I weighed in this morning and was up 1 1/2 pounds. I am not a happy camper and proceeded to have myself a pity party. Now, a bag of mini Reese's peanut butter cups later, I don't feel any better. Gee, don't know why!

Anyway, I hope you are all doing ok.

Gotta run.

"Take time to deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in. One man with courage makes a majority." - Andrew Jackson
Old 08-20-2001, 08:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default WOOHOOO!

Hi all!

Only a quick post as I'm trying to get ready to leave for my trip in the morning.

Just had to post that at WI tonight I was down 4.2 POUNDS. I'm so excited. Its been so long since I have really posted losses. Now the trick will be to keep OP and not let myself "celebrate" away my good fortune.

Bunny - Congrats on your wonderful loss too!!! I'm so jazzed for you too!!

Got to run, dryer just shut off and need to quit playing around online.

Have a great few days!
Old 08-21-2001, 12:28 AM   #5  

Good Monday evening ladies, it's been a busy day for me, again. Took the day off from work, but have been running around all day from bank to bank and hospital with my aunt's financial affairs. I think that it's getting better, little by little. Just maybe? Thanks to all of you for your wonderful support and encouragement during this difficult time for me. I really appreciate all of your kind thoughts. My food has not been the best lately and have not journaled since last week. Borrowed the dog tonight, though. He was so happy to be walking at night again. My guilt has been eased! Will spend a couple of hours tomorrow on aunt business and then back to regular work. My job at work never looked so good. Here's hoping that you each have a great OP Tuesday. Cindy

Lilacglitter, thank you for your wonderful words of support and wisdom. They really boosted my spirits. I laughed at your calling aunt an old bat. Believe me, the family has called her worse (but never to her face, of course). Nice going on the walk in the park. What a trooper you are to walk in the chilly rain. Hope that you enjoyed the nice soothing warm bath. Well deserved, I might add. p.s. I also loved your definition of "skinny cow."

Terrie, hey there, busy lady. Has DH assembled the desk for you yet? Congrats on that wonderful whopping 4.2 pound loss. You are doing beautifully OP. Are you still working out with the "all-in-one" four-legged exercise machine?

j-ann, nice going on signing up for aqua jogging and getting a gym membership. You have made a solid committment to yourself. WTG! Happy be-lated birthday to you, too.

Linda, your 13 pound loss is a wonderful achievement. Take a bow for yourself. Looking good, lady.

Geri, don't you fret a bit about that minor gain. You are totally committed to your weight loss and health. I know that you will get right back OP and make things right for Geri. Thanks so much for the kind support about aunt. It is hard to keep perspective sometimes when she spews forth her bitterness and poision at me. I have to agree with your comment that the personality before the disease is often times magnified by the Alzheimers. It is our misfortune that my aunt was secretive, insulting competitive, vain and selfish before. In the past, she would not tell us the details about her money and investments so now it is a like a puzzle, figuring out where her money is in order to protect her assets. On some days, the fun never seems to end.
Well, enough of my whining. I'm going to get a decent night sleep tonight and start fresh tomorrow morning. Have a good one.

bunny, congrats on that marvelous 2 pound loss! All of that hiking and activity is doing you good, kiddo. Keep up the great job.
Old 08-21-2001, 07:29 AM   #6  

Lilacglitter -- you learned to attach images! I'm all proud-jealous! Wa-hoo!

Okay so today is gonna be the pits if I let it be -- I'm a volunteer in another organization that's undergoing a firestorm o' negative publicity on a topic none of us can discuss because of privacy concerns (how's that for vague???) and my role means I'll end up in the hot seat. Yikes. So today will be given over to trying to stop fretting (and avoid agitated eating).

We have a hike planned (complete with Subway subs in our picnic backpack) as well as some shipping, errands, etc. I've got plenty of the snacks I need to have on hand when I feel an agitated-eating bout coming on (like Pretzels and sugar free Jello and such). SuccessSuccessSuccess(please).

Hope your days are shaping up more beautifully.

Lunacat -- I keep thinking good thoughts for you -- words fail me.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:44 PM   #7  

Default Greetings from Ottawa!

Good afternoon ladies!

I haven't been posting lately (just lurking - again) and I apologize. Last week at WI the scale decided to mess with our heads again. It showed me up 8.5 lbs - which I'm absolutely positive I was not! Our group leader brought it back to WW and had them test and exchange it - again. We're now working on our third scale. On the up side, our group leader has just sent an e-mail saying that we'll be getting the next 10-week session free because of the scale problems.

About my program - I let the scale get to me last week and had a few really bad days. However, I've been back OP the past few days and am feeling pretty good about it. My WI is tomorrow so I'll let you all know how it goes.

Bunny - Thanks for starting the new thread. Congrats on the 2bls! All that hiking is really paying off. I hope today is better for you than you're predicting. That would be a nice surprise right!?!?! Keep up the good work!

Cindy - Sounds like you're doing great OP! and with your aunt. My thoughts are with you. You're certainly a better person than I am. I don't know that I could put up with getting lip from someone I was trying to help. I'd probably have her in a home so fast her head would be spinning. You are a wonderful person!!!

Geri - Hang in there. Don't let the scale "mess with your head" as I did. If you stick to it, the rewards will come! (((hugs)))

Terri - WTG!!! What a great success, 4.2lbs. You're doing great. All that moving - packing, unpacking! It's hard work and it shows. I know exactly what you mean about "celebrating" it away though. Maybe treat yourself to something non-edible, like a facial or a manicure. Have a great trip!

Lilacglitter - what a funny lady you are. Seems like everyone has told you by now how much they liked your definition of the "skinny cows". Let me add my appreciation to that. I also think those types are "skinny cows". Sounds like you're doing wonderfully with your program. Riding a bicycle around London ... something the rest of us only dream about. I hope you realize that from now on, we'll all be living vicariously through you. We want details! and keep up the good work.

Maggie, Brenda, where are you?

Maggie, have you left for that travellin' lifestyle and I missed your goodbyes? or are you just too busy sorting and packing? Check in. I miss your colorful messages.

Brenda, how did your daughter's tournament go? Did you enjoy Ottawa? It is a beautiful city isn't it? (but I'm not biased of course)

Well, I hope I got everyone. Just trying to get caught up. If I missed someone, I hope you're doing well too. Drop us a line and let us know....

I pray that you all have a wonderful week and are rewarded generously for it!

Last edited by Diane in Ottawa; 08-21-2001 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:11 PM   #8  

Today did turn out mostly as I'd expected -- but when I yelled "Auugggghhhh!" at the monitor for the bazillionth time, my husband insisted we go hiking. It did help -- it was indeed one of the best hikes we've done yet. The air is cooling, the blueberries and blackberries are just about perfect, and it was mid-week so there wasn't really anyone else around to speak of. Lovely.

On program for me all day -- I hope everyone else is having a positive day.

Diane - that's a heck of a run of bad-scale-luck your Weight Watchers location has had! Yipes! I think that I'd just die if the scale reported me up 8 pounds (even if it was a lie) -- LOL! I'm very poor at telling whether I've lost or gained or what have you so I'm rather more susceptible to just believing what the machine tells me.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:41 AM   #9  

Well, I am down 1 this week and that is in the right direction!! I have to admit to a little petulance at the small increments - although I did 5.5 in week one, then 1.5 and now 1, but that is maybe how it is going to go with me, and so long as it is down, well, I can learn patience. I am going to eat two less points a day this week and make more effort to be regular with the exercise (inspired by Bunny's hikes! as well as by all you dog walkers!).

Bunny - I hope you get this negative publicity situ sorted out - its only when the media focus in on something you know about that you realise how much they distort everything - that is my experience anyway. One of my jobs is that I work part time for a small charity which offers free mediation to neighbours in dispute. As soon as the press got hold of that it became a feature on 'neighbours from ****'. Errr....not really how we like to hold our clients. (although to be fair I would move if i lived next door to some of them..... ). Well done on the 2lbs! Gone for good.

Diane - this scales thing is a nightmare but it seems they are getting it sorted. I am sure you are not up 8 - that would really be going some . But whatever really - so long as you are on the programme you are eating a good amount, balancing your diet, exercising and drinking water. The numbers can become a tyrant (certainly for me).

Geri - ditto for you - the numbers can become a tyrant. Being on the programme is of course what matters, and you do that brilliantly. And I seem to recall that you posted a few days ago that you were 35 points over for the week - so that might be part of the thing. And you knew that! well done! I have faith in you that you can climb back on this horse and get back up to a good canter!

Cindy - Keep on keeping on with all the old bat stuff !! As Diane pointed out, she is lucky to have you. And as for your food, well this is probably a very steep bit of the mountain you will be climbing with this journey, so go easy on yourself and make sure you forgive yourself any indiscretions - and get back OP. I know you can do it, in spite of all that is being thrown at you right now.

Terri - 4.2 is wonderful It just goes to show that this thing is not a predictable step by step thing, but an up and down journey - heading down!! Like one of those hikes in the Smokey mountains I keep day dreaming about........

Who have I missed? J-ann? maggie? Brenda? Linda - how is it going? Anyone else? This is a flight of angels for all of you
Old 08-22-2001, 12:28 PM   #10  

Good Wednesday Morning Ladies, it started as a grey, rainy day, but now the sun is peeking through. The air is humid, but not too hot or cold. Believe me, I'm not complaining about this weather (just yet). Thanks again for all of your kind wishes and support. You ladies are THE BEST!! When I took a minute to decompress yesterday, I was appalled at how poorly I have been taking care of myself during the recent aunt situation. I guess that I knew it all along, but didn't want to really focus on it. My body hurts and it is trying desparately to tell me to "take care or else." Am I stupid or what? [BTW, that's a rhetorical question. I already know the answer.] Need to stock up on healthy groceries since I have none at home. Did not get to the store this past week. I know that I'm a lousy example. Wait, I'm a great example of WHAT NOT TO DO! Ladies, I have to get back to work. Hope that you have a good OP day. I'll do my best to regain my focus and press on. Cindy

Lilacglitter, congratulations on your 1 pound loss. It is a very solid and respectable loss! I love the way that you are working the program while enjoying gourment meals. Keep up the great work.

bunny, what a lovely hike. Did you pick any berries while on the trails? I'm a big blueberry fan!

Diane, what a traumatic experience with the scale. I wonder if the scale is placed on one of those weird magnetic spots on the earth where all sorts of devices go haywire? Three scales? That must be a record of some kind! You are doing a great job OP and are making fantastic progress.
Old 08-22-2001, 08:08 PM   #11  

Lovely day today as it turned out. We spent this morning walking the market where the umbrella-man (as I now call him) threatened me because I out bargained him on a deal once. He's a gruff and growly as they come each time we see him now. My older daughter is afraid of him because he comes across so threateningly. We saw the umbrella-man but he didn't see us -- so we ambled on our way picking up bargains here and there. Breakfast at McDonald's (where I had a salad with vinegrette dressing) then a lunch/dinner ('cause I forgot to be hungry until late in the day) at a local wine cafe we'd never tried. I had the tuna salad sandwich (made with low fat yogurt instead of mayo) and a fruit salad side. We're going again tomorrow because it was so yummy (but this time I'm going for a half-sandwich and twice the fruit 'cause the fruit was so darn good!).

Cindy -- Taking care of yourself is so easy to forget when you're under pressure (and women are, imo, raised to take care of everyone else's needs first anyway). I'm glad you're ready to start caring for yourself well again. (Its less about weight loss in this case than simple healthful living being smarter when your stressed -- or so it seems to me). Take a long soak, read a book, put your feet up and down a glass of water -- or whatever else makes you feel most rested, most cared for.

Lilacglitter -- Down a pound is GOOD! Really and truly it is. I'm glad my walks are inspirational; my husband only wishes tales of your gourmet cookin' inspired me. LOL! Not gonna happen alas -- I'm not a kitchen-babe. Tomorrow we're off on another mountain trail with picnic in tow. Heaven, I tell you... just heaven.

I hope everyone else (I'd name names but I just know I'd miss someone that I miss too so I'm not gonna) is having a great day. Take the challenges in stride, revel in the successes, and don't forget your water.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:47 PM   #12  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Smile

Happy Wednesday Evening Ladies. Well, went to WI today and am down .5 lb. Wish it was, even just an itty bitty bit more but I'll take it! I was OP all wekand after no loss last week I'm glad to show something this week.Maybe I shouldn't have had that half of a frosted brownie on Monday but I counted it and it was my birthday brownie, candleand all.

Thanks for the birthday greetings. My goal for next b'day is to double my age, in pounds on that date, using my OP date as the start and 8/20/02 as my mini (midi??) goal. It'll be 106 lbs if I can do it. Just something to shoot for but I'm not going to kill myself over it either. Just try to stay OP and plug along.

DIANE: Holy Smokes! I've never heard of WW giving away anything, even if it's their fault. Good for your leader to push the scale issue for your group. Hope they get you a healthy one this time.

PHEW ...a skunk just let loose in the yard, right near my window. IT STINKS!!

BUNNY: TWO LBS!!! Way to Go. You've been choosing your lunch spots successfully with your program in mind. Good for you. Don't let yourself get sucked into eating because of the stress you're going through. You're strong, take those hungry feeling and give them back as outgoing stress to the "other side".

TERRI: WOO HOO WOWEE 4.2 HURRAY! So glad all your efforts are finally paying off. You Go Girl!!

LILACGLITTER: Take every pound you lose with a smile. One lb. a week is, after all, 52 lbs in a year, and that's the way we should loss. Remember to eat at least at the bottom of your point range. I lose best if I eat at the middle to high end of my range and drink more than all of my water.

CINDY: Hope you've been to the market by now. Take the time to take care of yourself. You'll feel better if you do. Keep up the dog walking too. I use it as time for ME! I go over my goals and give myself pep talks when I'm with the dog. The neighbors probably tink I'm nuts!

GERI: Gaining is always a downer. Put it behind you and start a new week OP. What's happened has happened and now it's time to go over you WW material and, maybe retune your program and go forward. (God, I sound like a cheerleader.) You're a fighter and you'll probably dump that 1.5 by next
week!

Oh Well, skunk smell is fading and I need to get packing for a trip to Canada this weekend. (Diane, I'm going to Long Sault, near Cornwall, to show the pointer this weekend. We're outdoors, pray for decent weather!)
Old 08-23-2001, 06:58 AM   #13  

Mornin' all

Well, today's weather report from London is that it is overcast, and expecting rain (I sound like a BBC broadcaster!!). The sky has that sort of greyish, yellowish tinge - heavy looking, like an old bruise (now I sound like a railway station novel.....) - its a big storm on the way I should think. Although nothing to the storms you get in America - sometimes they show footage of the weather there on the telly (my friend calls it 'disaster porn'), and we cant touch that.

So what is there to report in today?? I just had a large black coffee from the coffee shop next door. I used to always have it with an almond croissant - but I would rather be lighter. In fact I dont know what the points are for one but I think it will be about 8 or 9 or even more. At the moment I am not sufficiently 'croissant deprived' to want to do that to my points budget for the day! So coffee it is, and I have a WW chocolate bar for 1.5 points sitting in my desk drawer for sugar-addict-emergency-events For lunch I have packed up a big tupperware full of salad (lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes), and I have some cooked chicken to have with (2.5 points) and a spoon of mango chutney (1pt). I have put it in the fridge in the kitchen here....will it still be there by lunch time??!! Food sometimes disappears from our fridge. We share an office with another voluntary organisation, and we have a lot of volunteers in and out. Also, we have recently had some people in doing decorating who are working out Court Community Service Orders. I think they have a different view of property than I have... . I dont really mind. But I might have an early lunch....

J-ann....what does a skunk smell like? We dont have them. I have always wanted to smell a skunk
Well done for the .5, and it sounds like you are doing brilliantly OP and that you are very focussed - that is the tone of your messages. This could be a perfectly normal plateau - are you measuring? They say that the inches sometimes drop off when the pounds are staying the same.

Cindy....Hope you got some healthy groceries in. Bunny is right, its always we women who put others before ourselves. So often we do that and in so many small ways! So prioritise Cindy and get that fridge Lettuced and Chicken'd and Fish'd up!!

Bunny....If your hubby would like some recipes to treat YOU to a nice meal, I would be very happy to oblige... But sounds like you have found a great lunch place. And the Umbrella Man had me laughing.....in fact he sounded quite spooky, like a character from a children's book. I am not surprised your daughter is afraid of him.

Love to everyone. Must do some work now!!
Old 08-23-2001, 01:07 PM   #14  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been gone again. Just not very inspired to write, I guess. My pity party took on half of a second day so yesterday, finally, I feel back 'with it'. I made chicken fettuccini alfredo for the guys and I had a bowl of Taco Soup. Call that dedication! I also had a 1 point bag of popcorn at night with TV instead of my usual 4 points of ice cream....even though someone else decided they WERE going to do the ice cream thing.

I went through alot of challenges yesterday trying to stay in line. First it was a Hershey bar (King Size no less) at the grocery, then I really wanted to stop at Taco Bell just after having a BK Broiler (no mayo) at Burger King, and then there was the conversation with myself about stopping at the Dairy Queen. But.....I want you to know that I WON on all counts! Yipee!!!

I have the nursing home Recognition Reception this afternoon so I don't have time for individual replies. I'm really sorry! I'm on my own today, since my secretary resigned (her mother passed away) and my treasurer is AWOL (her son is in the hospital in a coma and no one knows what he's got so they can't treat him). I have to bring the cake and the paper goods and the decorations and the punch, as well as do up the awards and such. EEEEEEKKKKK!!!

You all have a wonderful day! Talk to you soon.

"Failure is impossible." - Susan B. Anthony
Old 08-23-2001, 05:44 PM   #15  
Slimwithin

Default Good afternoon

Tomorrow is my WI so I'm being extra careful today, especially with salt intake. I always seem to pick WI day to be bloated.
My clothes are feeling a bit looser suddenly. I wish they'd feel looser in my waist but it seems to be my backside, thighs and shoulders that are showing the 13 lb loss. Well, I knew it had to be coming from somewhere but for a while there was no way of knowing. And, when you have over 100 lb to lose, a mere 13 lb isn't noticeable to anyone but the person packing the pounds around.
I read an interesting article in Readers Digest the other day and I'm just going to quote a couple of paragraphs for you. It's about sleep deprivation and how it affects our health.
Here goes:
"In 1999 Eve Van Cauter, a University of Chicago sleep researcher, published a groundbreaking study in The Lancet in which, for six nights, young men spent only four hours in bed. During that week, their blood samples showed impaired glucose tolerance: They were in a prediabetic state.
Van Cauter believes that sleep loss is partly involved in the rising rate of obesity. One link is growth hormone, which controls the proportions of fat and muscle in the body. Lack of sleep could drive down growth hormone, accelerating the paunch process. another hormone, leptin, tells the body when it should feel full. 'With the low leptin levels of sleep debt,' Van Cauter says, 'your body will crave carbohydrates even though you've had enough calories.'"
This makes so much sense to me. I have a tendency to have a mid-day nap but then stay up until after midnight. If this has been contributing to my inability to lose weight (especially my paunch), then it should be easy enough to rectify. In fact, for the past three nights I've made myself go to bed at 10 pm and have done without the afternoon nap. Only time will tell if this makes a difference but it sure can't hurt.
Closed Thread