Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 03:42 PM   #31  
down - down - down

Afternoon all. I just had my sixth weigh in and happily it was a 2.4 pound loss. *phew* Even after six weeks, I'm still not getting a sense of how I'm doing during the course of the week. I have a hunch I'm doing OK, but I'm still worried that some nasty surprise will show up just as I step on the scales. But that isn't happening. I must strive to trust my journals. I'm staying on program, so I should just go with that.

Melissa: your shorts sound great! I have to resist the urge to try on smaller clothing constantly. LOL

Ruby Ellen: I take it from your post that margaritas are high in points? I'll have to look it up. Your post reminds me that it's so much easier to stay OP at home where you have complete control. Eating out? Much tougher. I went out to dinner on Friday with my boyfriend and was dying for some mud pie for dessert. But then I realized that I just wanted to taste the sweetness so I didn't order any but mooched two bites off my boyfriend's plate. It was perfect and I felt I had got a little of what I wanted, but didn't blow it. I was rather smug after that.

Lauren: you have impressive numbers - that exercise must really pay off.

LindaBC: "slow and steady" is what I'm working on too. I figure it took me 15 years to get to this weight, if it takes 1 year to take it off... so be it.

Have a great week everybody!
Old 08-21-2001, 07:32 PM   #32  
Senior Tortoise

Well, I lost a very un-turtleish 3# this week and got my 50# magnet. I'm now in virgin fat territory as far as WW is concerned, though I weighed a tad less than this when losing weight on my own this past year. (I'll *really* jump up and down when I hit my own personal virgin fat territory -- 2 more pounds.) I've actually lost 60 pounds, since I lost 10 prior to joining WW. But I haven't hit that mark on my home scales yet.

And this is just before TOM, too! I have all but given up trying to figure out why my body loses weight when it does. I did work out more this past week -- 4.5 hours total, and higher intensity, too. I also had two very low-point days (below my point range, though not intentionally) as well as several high-point days. In the end, I had about 10 banked points left.

So once again, I find that if I eat lower in my points and exercise more, I lose weight. It's not a message I've particularly wanted to hear, but there ya go.

Marie, congrats on that 2.4 loss! Awesome!

Melissa, woo-woo on the shorts! Isn't it great when clothes start feeling different and we can get into smaller sizes?

Gizzi, I hear you about giving yourself a little shake from time to time. (Make mine chocolate. JUST kidding.) That's why I've lost so slowly -- I keep losing focus and forgetting why I'm doing this. Going back to meetings has helped.

Ruby, I strongly echo Gizzi's advice. My parents had me focused on my weight waaaaay too young, and it did not have the desired result. Instead of making me thinner, it made me obsess about my body and learn to hate it. And a whole lot fatter, too. Do you go for walks with her or do active play things with her? Dance around to Barney music or something? Are there any fun workout videos for kids? Maybe that would help. (My WW leader said when she used to do the Richard Simmons "Sweating to the Oldies" tapes, the whole neighborhood would show up and dance around. All the kids loved it.) Certainly fixing nutritious things for her would be good; maybe a child nutritionist could help. But I sure would never, ever let her know you're worried about her weight -- and never tease her about it, either, or compare her with the thinner kids.

Is she anxious about anything? Sometimes kids eat because it helps them feel better. Anyway, good luck. Parenting has to be the hardest job in the world!

Onward and downward,

Lauren
279/218.4/199 by Christmas
Old 08-22-2001, 05:15 PM   #33  
Slimwithin

Still don't know all your names. Bear with me, I will eventually get to know all of you.
Lauren, your mention of Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies tapes reminded me that I have a couple of his tapes which I got from my daughter. I've never used them but you have inspired me to give them a try. I think one of the secrets of weight loss for me is to keep moving. I'm such a slug. I do have a large flower and veggie garden but I seldom get up to aerobic speed working on them. I get exhausted but not winded if you know what I mean.
I go to the local indoor pool three times a week and, although I'm still not up to speed for the aquafit or hydrofit classes (tried one and nearly died after 15 minutes) I do try to keep my arms and legs moving constantly in the water. Hopefully, as I get more weight off I will find it easier to keep up with the regular classes.

Yesterday I took my sister out to lunch for her 63rd birthday and really enjoyed my chicken quesadilla and fresh fruit cup. Then, darned if the waiting staff hadn't gotten wind of her birthday and showed up singing with a huge slice of ice cream cake with a sparkler on top. Very nice of them but none of the ladies with me really needed it, especially me. Still, we shared it three ways but I just took the pointed end of the wedge. As someone else said in this thread, all I really wanted was a sweet taste and I was quite satisfied with my little piece of the nummy stuff. The trouble was, it set me off and after I got home, even though I wasn't hungry, I started nibbling on this and that. I know that refined sugars have that effect on me so I'm better off to avoid them completely than enjoy "just one taste". So, I'm counting yesterday as my high points day of the week wherein I used up all my accumulated points and exercise points as well. HOpefully, it doesn't have a negative impact on my Friday weigh-in.
Lots of water today.
I was reading an article in this month's Readers Digest about sleep deprivation and how it can cause us to gain weight, especially in the abdomen. This got me thinking so for the past two nights I've gone to bed two hours earlier than usual. 10 instead of midnight or later. I must say, I feel much better already, but we'll see whether or not it makes a difference on the scale.
Old 08-22-2001, 06:02 PM   #34  
That darlin' Texas gal!

Howdy all,

I'm thinking it's new thread time!

Starting a new one right now!!
Closed Thread