Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 10:59 AM   #16  
Senior Tortoise

Hi, all.

Marie, welcome! Great to see you here.

Kathy, ewwww, the Cambridge Diet! How well I remember that one. The chalky soups were just AWFUL. Amazing what I used to do to lose weight. No more. I don't think I was able to do that one longer than two weeks. Horrid!

I really don't have much energy, Kathy -- or at least I didn't used to. The regular exercising for the past 7.5 months has really boosted my energy levels, though. The first few months were especially hard, because I was just so tired. But I kept telling myself I had to spend energy to get energy. And eventually, it paid off. Now I find working out energizing, and I feel sluggish without it.

Ruby, when I finally decided to get off my butt in January, I ordered a bunch of new aerobic and strength-training videos. It turned out to really help me, since I was pretty sick of the couple old ones that I had. I've since bought a bunch more, too, and I alternate them. Keeps me interested. I also started out with the easiest stuff so I wouldn't get frustrated and give up. Good thing, because I was very out of shape! Good luck.

I'll have to try the angel food cake, especially flavored. Hmmm.

Last night at my WI, I was down 1.6#, which makes me very happy.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
279/221.4/199 by Christmas
Old 08-15-2001, 09:46 PM   #17  

Happy wednesday ,

There weren't any positive things said about Cambridge diet , was there ? The stuff I used was pre-optifast . I didn't have to take vitamins . The powders came in several flavors . I used to put it in a blender with 1/2 froven banana or some frozen strawberries . Yuk . I do recall the soup , but didn't have any .

Lauren , good job on that loss ! You are doing so good , you'll have no problem getting to your xmas goal . I have a hard time working out to videos . Besides feeling awkward , my 100 year old house shakes .

Ruby , I sympathise , i've been pmsing . I feel like i've snacked all day . I dread saturday . Also it's been unusually hot here (for us) , so I eat more juice bars & skinny cow ice cream sandwiches than usual . Ugh ....

More stress yet : My son & I have had his 2 kids for over 2 months . Origonally they were only coming for 2 weeks . Then we found out they were homeless . We decided they were staying permanently . Now the mother wants them back . Mind you she's barely called the kids in the 2 months , received assistance even though she didn't have them & lied to welfare about it , & has a felony warrant out on her . We've gotten some run around . She has been notified that she owes child support by support enforcement . Now that the summer has ended , & Her meal ticket is threatened she wants them back . CPS told my son that if she comes on the property to call the police & she'll be arrested for the warrant . That's only temporary , though .

Well have a good thursday . Kathy 344.8/242.8/185
Old 08-16-2001, 09:02 AM   #18  

Wink

Hey ladies,

Trying to start getting up extra early again is really hard. My 3 darlings start back to school next Wednesday and so I'm slowly trying to ease back into waking up at 6:00 to catch the bus just before 7:00. They are in 4th, 1st, and Kindergarten. It's a real pain. I know it's better for me to get up earlier, but I don't have to like it! My 3 year old only goes to preschool twice a week and doesn't have to be dropped off until 8:45.

Kathy, I'm sorry you have to deal with that neglectful mom. I've never understood a person just giving away their children. It must be confusing for them and unsettling for you not knowing what her next move might be. I wish you luck with the whole thing.

Lauren, congrats on that cool weightloss. I find it's very gratifying to lose anything over a pound. I feel good about any loss but I feel like I really did what I was suppose to when I can measure it with a whole pound or more. What are all the exercise videos you use regularly and like the most? I need to add a new video to my library to get me excited about it!

I weigh in tomorrow. Most of my bloat should be gone by then but until then I'm going to drink a load of water to see if that helps to flush things out. I don't usually have to worry about weighing in at the peak of my watergain. Oh, PS, don't weigh yourself at home when it's TOM, it makes you panic!

I'll check in with you chicks later.

Ruby
263.8/256.0/237.8 (10%)
Old 08-17-2001, 10:33 AM   #19  
Senior Tortoise

Hi, everyone! TGIF! It's a beautiful, cool, sunny summer day here in Michigan. Hope your day is going wonderfully.

Kathy, I hear you about the shaking house! Ours is almost 80 years old. Our floors shake, too, so I work out in the basement, which is where we have our TV and family room. There's carpeting, but the floor is uneven underneath, which makes life interesting. I love old houses, don't you? So much character and life in them.

Ruby, I started out doing the FIRM basics videos, because I especially wanted to do strength training in addition to aerobics. The routines are definitely do-able for someone just getting back into exercise, and you really do see results quickly -- though more in measurements than on the scale. I eventually decided I wanted more of an aerobic workout, so I started doing Richard Simmons' original "Sweating to the Oldies" video. I love the music, and the routine was about my level.

As I progressed, I started doing Leslie Sansone's 2-Mile Walk video (the older one), where you do a 2-mile "walk" in 30 minutes. The choreography is very simple (it's not "dance-y" at all), so it's easy to learn and it definitely got my heart rate up. Also, it's just 30 minutes long, which made it a good length for someone who's always running late in the morning! Thanks to her, I can now walk quite quickly for long periods of time; I've recently done 4 miles in an hour!

I'm finding I now need more intensive workouts, so I'm doing Richard Simmons' "Dance Your Pants Off," which also has great music and is a lot of fun (though I'm still mostly just flailing around) and Donna Richardson's "Donna-Mite" video -- all Motown hits, somewhat difficult choreography, but I think it will be fun once I get it down. I also bought a couple of those hour-long walking CDs from "Shape" magazine (I got them on Amazon). The CD has original hits that gets you walking either 3 or 4.5 miles in an hour. Fun music!

Melissa, Gizzi, Marie -- hope you're all doing well. Dora, haven't seen you in a while -- how's the work situation for DH? How are your stress levels? Haven't heard from lots of our old-timers in a while, either -- anyone know anything about Judy from Boston? (I think her handle was Joodysomething.)

Have a great weekend, everyone, and remember -- we can make it happen.

--Lauren
274/221.4/199 by Christmas
Old 08-17-2001, 04:52 PM   #20  
down - down - down

*wave to all*

Friday afternoon here and my week has gone fairly well. Have been walking home every day which is approx 40 minutes. I recently purchased a pedometer and if I can figure out how to use it (I threw away the instructions, DUH), then it will be interesting to see how I'm doing.

It's weird, but a couple weeks ago my points dropped down to a lower level. It feels much different, much less food. So I still feel like I'm getting used to it. I'm finding that a small breakfast (I don't like much in the morning) and a small lunch means I can have a more extravagent dinner. I've also gone out to restaurants for dinner 3x this week so wanted to save points for that.

I was dying for some frozen yoghurt yesterday so decided the best way to do it was get a size small serving, and then only eat half. It took care of the craving, but wasn't many points.

But best of all: with over 10 pounds lost, my favourite jeans are now loose!!!
Old 08-17-2001, 06:45 PM   #21  

Hello everyone,

This is my first time chatting, but i have been reading your support and wouldlike to join.

I am doing ww at work with a co-worker and I will not be able to reach 200 by christmas, my co worker has a chance.
So i have set up my goal to lose 41 lbs by Dec. 19th when I turn 41. Then continue from there. I started ww to help my 16 year old who is weighing in at 261 she 5'11" and needs to lose 80lbs. I have lost 13 1/2 in 4 weeks. I have set of a goal of 1-2 lbs a week and feel anything over that is a bonus.
We walk at lunch, favorite spot is Disneywalk, free parking and when it's too hot we walk in side the hotels. Well thats enough for now, hope to ehlp support this group and recieve the support I need to keep going.

goinspe
Old 08-17-2001, 09:25 PM   #22  

Talking

Hey ladies,

I made a big mistake and went to an evening meeting on a whim tonight since I missed my weigh-in this morning. I had just had a big glass of water before I went and I had a .8 gain. Bummer. I guess I'll just do better next week, right?

Goinspe, welcome to our little group. You're doing great! Where are you from? I'm not familiar with the city you listed but the fact that you walk at Disneywalk makes it sound like you are in Orlando, Kissimmee, or Lake Buena Vista. I'm afraid we are in the process of planning a DisneyWorld vacation for next June. That means everything reminds me of Orlando right now!

Lauren, thanks for all of the info on videos. I get bored with them so easily that I hate to buy them. I wonder if I can rent some of them, I'll have to check the rental store to see if they carry any of those.

Marie, good job on the walking. I wish I could get into the groove of exercising again. I promised myself that this is the week I get started for sure! Wish me luck!

I'll check in later,
Ruby
Old 08-18-2001, 10:57 AM   #23  

Angry another busy couple of days

Things have been a little hectic around here. I don't want to post this, but I did go to WI on Wednesday, and I am up 1#. I am a bit bummed about it. I know it was a rough weekend for me so that prolly had a lot to do with it, plus I ate fried shrimp tues. The girls at my meeting also said it could be muscle since I have been working out. I know I shouldn't be too upset, but I was doing so well. I was hoping to make up for it this week, but last night ws bad. I went over in points and did little snacking that I shouldn't have done. Oh well, today is another day. I really hope I make up for it this week. I really want to get to my 30#. That means I need to lose 2# and I hope to make that a possibility this week. Well, here is to surviving the weekend. Good luck to all!!

Melissa
Old 08-19-2001, 12:13 AM   #24  

Hey all ,

It sounds like you all have done much better than I have lately . I have been so stressed & have been sort of binging . My son & his 2 kids have been living here for over 2 months . That's not even the stressful part . I adore the kids & do enjoy them immensly , even though they exhaust me . The mother wants them back , we are keeping them . If it does go to court I don't have any doubt , we would win . My son pretty much told her that he was keeping them , early on , but apparently she thinks he didn't mean it . And I think he should call her & say it in plain english . She kept trying to call collect (can you believe it?) & then got her own phone . He won't answer the phone & she hangs up if I answer the phone . I apparently scare her . We have enrolled the oldest into kindergarten . Anyway , Saturday has always been my day to myself , as well as my weigh in day . I've been going to meetings there for 2 years . My son finally got a job , but he'll be working weekends . Now i'll have to switch to another meeting & it'll have to be in the evening . People always think i'm so confident , but i'm not . The only plus' are :

#1- lower daycare

#2-My old meeting is 20-25 minutes away . There is one in my town on mondays .

#3-Bev , the saturday leader does my towns meeting . She's wonderful .

Well have a good sunday . Kathy
Old 08-19-2001, 03:29 PM   #25  
Slimwithin

Hi everyone. I've been posting at the WW/Lower Carb site but there's not much action there. I'm one of the folks who seems to need a higher protein diet than others and I'm learning to adjust the program to suit me.
I've lost 13 lb in 9 weeks which is the best I've done in a long time. I have over 100 lb to lose. I doubt if I'll make it under 200 lb by the end of 2001 but possibly by next spring. SLow and steady is my motto these days. Too often I've focussed on rapid weight loss only to gain it back plus extra.
I hope to get to know the rest of you better but for now I'll just say hello and good luck to those trying for the 200 goal.
Old 08-19-2001, 05:45 PM   #26  
That darlin' Texas gal!

Howdy, Howdy,HOWDY!!

I can hardly believe how long it's been. Last time I was here (two weeks ago) I'd added another 2# for a total of 16# up since my hubby's layoff. The iron monster was exceedingly gracious this week and showed me at 4# down!! Yeah! Though I certainly didn't do anything to deserve it, I am psyched to keep it going.

Even without exercise, I am very hungry today and yesterday. Ate some zero point soup, but may need a protein boost.

Ruby -you can do this! Exercise is hard to add to the old schedule. But then I remember you having a really grueling time a year ago. Bet you've got more leisure time today. Hey, if you get up at 6 and lose the big kids at 7 then you've got lots more time to walk (or whatever) I'm struggling too, to get back into the getting-up-in-time-for-school routine. Only got 2 walks in last week. But it's getting better here. You can do it, too.

Kathy - Wow, what big changes. Maybe you'll love this new meeting time and when you do visit the old one, they won't even recognize you with all the pounds that drop off. It would be nice if your son would speak out. But she probably knows just how to punch his buttons and kind of intimidates him.

Lauren -you are kicking butt! I'm soooo impressed with your progress. Sure doesn't look like a turtle to me.

Melissa -way to go on that barbecue. I need to get back into that planning stage. We're having taco salad at church on Wednesday. The huge oatmeal cookies are hard enough to avoid, but I do plan to take my own chips this time.

Howdy to the newbies. I'd be more personal, but am running out of time to post.
The hubster is still job-searching, though Intel/Oregon appears to be out. Had some phone calls about interviews done awhile back, so hopefully something delightful will come about.
Have a great week. I am!
Old 08-20-2001, 12:40 PM   #27  
Senior Tortoise

Hooray, Dora! Way to go on dropping those 4 pounds and turning that gain around! That's the mark of someone who will win the race in the long term.

Linda, welcome! Plenty of us aren't going to get to 200 this year, but that's OK -- we're still winners. Slow and steady is my motto, too -- that's why I'm a turtle. Check out the Turtle Club (under "Other Clubs") -- we all subscribe to that there.

Kathy, your grandkids are lucky to have you. Hang in there; you'll make it through.

Melissa, have you ever had a gain before for no discernible reason? I sure have. Often! The scale is so unreliable. Just keep at it; you're doing so great. Eventually the scale will reflect your success.

Ruby, I always weigh a few pounds more at night than I do in the morning, even before dinner. If you only gained .8 pounds in the evening, you've certainly lost weight this week. Congratulations!

Goinspe, welcome! Sounds like you have an aggressive goal for Christmas! Here I am, figuring that losing 22 pounds by Christmas will be a major haul! Does Goinspe stand for anything? It's an interesting name.

I had a good weekend. Was slightly above my points, but I have so many banked points right now that it's not a problem. I worked out HARD last week -- 4.5 hours total. I want to get up to 5 hours per week. It really helps me have more energy, and I can already see results in my measurements.

Have a swell Monday!

Onward and downward,

Lauren
279/221.4/199 by Christmas
Old 08-20-2001, 12:51 PM   #28  

Wink

Hey ladies,

I had an awful weekend. We went out Saturday night and I had a margarita (yes, a margarita again). Yesterday we went to the State fair and ate a bunch of junk. I can't resist the peanut butter fudge, especially when it's freshly made and warm. Mmmmm. Sorry about that! So I don't even want to get on the scale at home so maybe that's a good thing. I figure if I'm religious and exercise just maybe I can turn out to have an exceptable week. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Dora, I'm planning to start going to the YMCA once the kids get back in school. Maybe I'll sign up Madeline for swimming lessons or something too. She's only 3 years old but she's a human garbage disposal if I let her she'd eat non-stop. This is going to sound terrible but she's really getting chunky. My other 3 kids had thinned out by this age. My husband said something in a joking fashion the other day but I'm starting to get concerned. I don't want her to have a weight problem this young. I know I'm probably just being silly but I have to worry about this since her becoming fat would be my fault. Any comments?

I think I'll go and get some exercise of some sort even if it's just doing some housework, which I have also been neglecting.

Later,
Ruby
Old 08-20-2001, 02:37 PM   #29  
WW since 4/00

Ruby, do NOT worry about your kid's eating. If she's overweight the doctor will tell you about it. If my 3 year-old granddaughter is any example they're eating that much because they need to. They haven't learned to do all the emotional eating stuff that gets us into trouble.

The exercise class is a great idea, but do it for the sake of exercise, not weight reduction. Keep her snacks healthy. Don't try to control how much she eats, just what she eats.

On the other hand, your weekend makes me feel a little bit better about mine. I'm still managing to journal every day & I gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted at a potluck we went to Saturday so I did. I estimated the points at about 28, that's plus lunch & breakfast!

This week I'm working on staying under points, except for my brother's birthday party Saturday. I'm having to give myself a little shake every now & then & remind myself that I've chosen to do this (i.e. Am I an adult or a kid?).
Old 08-20-2001, 09:46 PM   #30  

Angry a happier mood

I was a bit bummed about my pound gain, but I am much happier today. I just got home from dinner (after a rather stressful day) and I tried on an old pair of jean shorts. Ones without elastic. Right after I started WW I put them on but I had to lay on the bed to zipper them. Well, tongiht I tried them on and they fit. I didn't even have to suck in my stomach to put them on. Woo-hoo. This was very exciting news.

I am hoping that tomorrow will be a little less stressful for me. I don't know, but I can still hope. I didn't get to the gym today, but I am hoping to go tomorrow after work.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Melissa
Closed Thread