Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 169.8/163.4/140ish

Unhappy HELP! Looking to start WW and have some questions!

Hi ladies,
I briefly started hanging with the SBD crew and that was just NOT for me. So after seeing all those GRRRREAT WW commercials, I've decided to try and join. I'm just wondering...when I go to my first meeting, will they tell me what to do??? It's kinda confusing how it all works.

Also, I'm wondering what most people find beneficial...the points or the other program?

I'm 5'8", 170lbs. and would like to be about 135-140lbs. Will WW work for me? I'm really nervous and just want to succeed. The weight has been piling on for the past year and I"m not even sure where it came from so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Melissa
Old 04-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hello and welcome!

You will be given some start up materials at your first meeting which should include a Welcome booklet and your pointsfinder (slide chart). You usually sit through the meeting then afterwards the leader will give the new members a short orientation meeting to explain how the program works.

The items that I bought right off the bat were the Food points book and the Dining out companion which have been a big help. I also bought a few of the cookbooks which I also found helpful.

Not every program suits everyone but this is what I like (personally) about WW:

No foods are "forbidden"

The system is relatively easy

You eat normal food - no special items or pre-packaged food to buy - you shop at the grocery store.

You can eat out with your friends and socialize but are shown how to make healthier food choices when you do go out.

I can make meals that my husband also enjoys and not have to make "diet food" only. In fact I have rediscovered my love of cooking through WW

They teach you to eat sensibly, include all the food groups and to make changes that are sustainable and long term.

You are encouraged to exercise and given materials to help you get started.

At the meeting rooms I have attended there was lots of support, camaraderie, encouragement and trading of ideas on weight loss, shopping, meal planning etc.

However, the plan does take commitment to yourself, a willingness to make the lifestyle changes and doing the work to lose the weight.

Good luck in your weight loss journey
Old 04-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 248.6/249/135

Height: 5'2"ish

Welcome, Melissa. Glad you're here.

When you go to the meeting you're leader will explain everything to you. As for what plan to follow it's really a matter of personal choice. I personally need the points. I need to be able to say ok I've got this many points and that's it. If I had to follow the core program I don't think I would do very well. I like structure. HOWEVER...one of the ladies in my meeting has been doing the core and it's been working for her. She said she didn't want to have to worry about counting and the idea of knowing what foods she can and cannot have has helped her. After talking to your leader try the one you think best suits you...then if you don't like it you can always switch. That's a good thing about WW you're not locked into any one program. I'm planning on going on core when I hit my goal so I don't have to count for the rest of my life.

WW will work for you. As long as you are committed to yourself and you weightloss. I tried WW a few years ago but didn't have the commitment I needed to succeed. This time, however, I've got that commitment and it's working. And remember, it doesn't matter how many times you fall down...it's how many times you get back up.

Good Luck!
Old 04-26-2006, 11:15 AM   #4  

WW even says they know people will not count points for the rest of their lives. When they stop, wonder what will happen? I like the Core Plan. Still have a little room for junk, no counting on the good foods I mainly eat. It's all up to you. Even the cabbage soup diet will work if you do it.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:21 AM   #5  
Starting fresh!

S/C/G: 281/226/184

Height: 6 feet

I've been doing WW for about 10 weeks. I love it! I've lost 21 pounds and it is so easy.

Quote:
WW even says they know people will not count points for the rest of their lives. When they stop, wonder what will happen?
For me, it has become second nature it such a little time. I don't even have to count points somedays because I just know what to choose and how much. It's different for everyone though.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #6  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

One thing I wanted to add... you will have questions about it! I went to my first meeting this week, knowing NOTHING about WW. When I got done I had a million questions (but I'm shy and don't like to ask in person.) So I came here and asked. Everyoen here is wonderful about answering your questions! So I highly recomend that you bring your questions here!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:45 PM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA
WW even says they know people will not count points for the rest of their lives.
I have never seen W/W say this or put it out or even imply it myself. I have been doing points since 1998 and it is second nature. I can even know at week without tracking that I am on track with points. I may be a little more lax (at times) with weighing and measuring however I do try to use mostly Core Foods (or those designated) as they tend to fill me up and make me satisified. I think W/W has the 2 programs as 1 program does not FIT EVERYONE but my personal feeling is that at first you need to start with knowing what a 'normal' portion is and trying to utilize healthy foods and not so much processed junk.

However nothing is off limits and you just have to be conscious of what you eat...even on Core this is the case.

Mind you I am not knock Core and promoting Flex. Both are great programs.

I feel both have drawbacks to an extent and both have great 'pro' points.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #8  

I've been counting points since 2000.

I tried Core but I need the points and portion control that flex offers.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

mauvaisroux, LOL! I've been doing points since June 1998 so I see myself doing it forever...maybe not 100% officially on a journal but at least aware of them.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Height: 5'2"

I started weightwatchers last week on 4/20/06. My weight was 214.5 lbs. I weigh in on Thursdays. I hope to see a loss. I count points and have been doing so diligently and even walked twice this week, which is good for me.
I like the Weightwatcher's meeting. There is a lot of support there.
Maybe one day I'll figure out the ticker and can add one to my profile.
My WW goal is 141. My personal first goal is 204.5
Good luck!
Donna
Old 04-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Height: 5'2"

Trying to do a ticker. I hope it adds on.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #12  

Right Kelly! I'm at the point where I do it subconsciously I wonder if I count points in my dreams?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #13  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

WW rocks! It works if you work it. Good luck to all the newbies (and pros alike) you will love it. :
Old 04-26-2006, 09:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 169.8/163.4/140ish

Thanks ladies! I've roped my mom into going with me now. So that will make me slightly less nervous I think! I think that the plan with points is the way to go...the thing I'm wondering is...how do you measure your portions? Use a scale? What? Also...will they tell me how many points i can have?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:44 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 248.6/249/135

Height: 5'2"ish

i use a scale & measuring cups/spoons to measure out my portions. That's the best way for me. And when you get your first meeting materials inside the book will tell you what points you will have.
Closed Thread