Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 07:17 PM   #1  

Default trreadmill yes or no

Hi to all of you. Last week I was on the boards whining because I had gained back some weight that I had lost and with the help of your ideas and help I lost 4 this week and was thinking about purchasing a treadmill. We have a friend that bought one and she realizes that after 2 weeks she does not like it. I was wondering from those of you that have one, do you like it and why. I am planning on purchasing hers. Thanks........
Old 07-29-2001, 08:51 PM   #2  
Fit and Feisty

Smile

I purchased a treadmill nine years ago when I went back to work full time and could no longer walk early in the morning in the winter (too dark). I used it for years mostly in the winter months when the roads were icy.

If you station it in front of a T.V., it's great, and it really helped. After walking for so many years, I had to "kick it up a notch" and purchase walking tapes for use with hand held weights. I am doing very well with this.

The only way to stay with exercise is to really ask yourself what you enjoy doing. I enjoy walking so purchasing a treadmill was an excellent investment.

All the best to you with whatever you decide,
carree
Old 07-29-2001, 10:00 PM   #3  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I too have a tread. I bought it within the last year. I am not great at walking regularly, I have an eliptical too, so between the 2 i get my workouts in. I do agree on the tv thing I do have to zone out in front of the tv and I listen to a walkman at the same time. Sad but true it passes the time.

my advice for you is to take a few days and look at the stores and see what is available. People like different features. if you plan to run you may need a longer track. if you are close to the weight maximum for the tread she has you may burn out the motor. ( I really don't mean to be rude but this is very important for the loggevity of the treadmill).

After you have looked around you can compare what she has to what you may want, and make the choice for you. I do hope that this helps you make a good finess choice.

-L
Old 07-30-2001, 07:27 AM   #4  

Thanks guys. Something I had not thought about was the max weight. I checked with her and hers is 350 lbs, and I am 188 so that should be ok. I am going to the mall this evening to check out the other features. Thanks again for the advice.......
Old 07-30-2001, 12:28 PM   #5  
down - down - down

Hi there. After reading your post, I happened to run into an article entitled "What you need to know before you purchase a treadmill".

Here's the link:

http://www.***************.net/artic...l_purchase.htm

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2001, 01:57 PM   #6  

Would your friend let you come over to her house and try the treadmill a couple times becofe you make up your mind?

Or maybe she would let you have it for a trial period? Say a week and if you like it, keep it and pay her. If you do not like it, haul it back to her house with a small gift saying thanks for letting me try it but you decided you do not like it.

Basically, it boils down to if you like walking indoors as exercise. If you do not like walking indoors, the best machine in the world will not entice you to use it.
Old 07-30-2001, 06:50 PM   #7  

Mmmm, I really like gsc4's suggestion to try it out a few times at your friend's house before you lug the thing home.

I bought a treadmill (Pacemaster Pro Plus HR) within the year. I prefer running/walking outside, but the treadmill enables me to keep up my running in winter - which is a good thing. One thing I've also discovered I like using the treadmill for is interval training, where you vary the speed/incline of the treadmill for set times.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:59 PM   #8  

Smile Treadmill

I appreciate having my treadmill so much because I can walk rain or shine hot or cold and in the privacy of my home. I live in a busy area and dislike walking the highway . However I strongly recommend a motorized treadmill as opposed to a manual one. Had one and gave it away ,just too hard on the knees . I also suggest a TV area as it is surprising how entertaining it is while you do your workout. I also have a fan plugged in to give me comfort as I do my workout...all the comforts of home : ) Best of luck in your research. I hope if you make the investment you like it and the suggestion of trying your friends out is a great one. Hope this helps
Old 07-31-2001, 10:35 AM   #9  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

I prefer a treadmill. I can walk faster on it because I don't have to worry about twigs or stones or stumbling outside. It's smoother and I also don't feel self conscious because no one can see me. The other ideas of trying it out, etc. are good because you don't want it to turn into a place to hang clothes. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:59 PM   #10  

Thanks everyone. I knew I could count on you!!!!!!
Closed Thread