Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 06:36 PM   #1  

Default D E S P E R A T E

HELP GUYS. Nothing is working for me. I can't stay on any plan. Low fat, I end up binging. Low carb, I end up binging. I am doing something terribly wrong. I have been to weight watchers twice in my life, just for one week. How is the new plan? Last time I was there, a couple years ago, it was the points system. I loaned out my points calculator and never got it back. I liked the points system ok, except for when it came to adding something like a casserole up.
Ladies, I am DESPERATE. I've been on everything from low carb to slim fast to Metabolife. I'm going on vacation in one month and I'm fat again. I was getting back down to a normal size with the walking and slim fast, but the slim fast got real old and I lost motivation for the walking.
There is a WW meeting in my area tonight and I am seriously thinking of joining once again. $34 for the first week, $14 every week after that. OUCH!! That is COSTLY. Do you think it would help with motivation? I need something right now.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:17 PM   #2  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

One thing you need to do is to ask yourself if you are ready to do this. If you are, you will. You need to believe that you can. Desperately wanting the weight gone isn't the same as wanting to lose weight. It takes work, time, effort and is worth everything you put into it. But you have to be ready.

I recommend reading a book called "Thin for Life". It's by Anne Fletcher. She did a study of people who had lost at least 20 pounds and kept it off for at least three years. It shows you that it's not the specific program that matters. It's what's inside your head.

We like WW and you'll probably get a lot of recommendations to join. It's a well-balanced plan that you can live for the rest of your life. That's the commitment you have to make. no matter what plan you use, so choose one you can live with. That doesn't mean you have to live it perfectly. Successful people aren't perfect. They just learn how to deal with the times they slip.

Don't expect miracles. There aren't any. I don't know how much you need to lose and if you expect/want to lose it all before your vacation, but chances are, unless it's less then ten pounds, you won't. And it's a good bet that you may gain some while you're on vacation because most people do. And that's not a bad thing. It takes practice to learn how to do vacations so most people don't do well with the first one after starting a weight loss program. But the important thing is that you start your journey. You can do it. The first step is the hardest--getting started.

You will find a lot of support here on the 3 Fat Chicks site. You can get a lot of answers to your questions. I hope you find that you are ready to make an effort. You can do it. Take it one step, one day at a time. Time passes and you get to goal, then you keep doing those steps and learn to maintain.

WW still uses the point system. Figuring out points for recipes is especially easy if you pick up a cooking software program that does nutrition analysis that includes the calories, fat, and fiber. I use MasterCook by Sierra, and so do a lot of other people. I also use the hand-held electronic calculator instead of the sliding cardboard points finder. I find it's more accurate and easier.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Lin
Old 06-29-2001, 10:30 AM   #3  
CIN

Desperate,
Help is on the way!

Ralph Waldo Emerson said " A problem recognized is half solved."
You have recognized many things.So go join..........it works if you follow the program.the accountability is important! Also ask your Leader for help as far as calculating points in casseroles! She is there to help you and the other members!

Make the right choice and go girl!

WWCIN
Old 07-02-2001, 06:49 PM   #4  
Thursday Lady

You can do this, if you really want to put in the effort.

There are some good recipes on 3fatchicks and you can buy cookbooks at your meeting place.
The first time I was on WW, I got so bored eating the same bland food that I quit. Now, I make myself fix some of these recipes and it makes life lots sweeter.
Good luck!

Tina
Old 07-06-2001, 12:41 PM   #5  

Dear Team Mom:

I've been where you are and I know how tough it is to break through old patterns. Each time I binged I defiantly told myself that "I have to have this ___ or I'll go crazy. But by the next day I was filled with remorse and self-hatred. It took a former boyfriend's photograph of me - when I thought I was looking "hot" - , for me to realize how much I was deceiving myself.

I joined WW and continuosly fought to "keep" my bad habits every day. I was fortunate to join a WW meeting with a terrific Leader and a great bunch of "losers" like me. That support and accountabilitiy kept me coming back and losing weight. Their weekly suggestions about how to get around my resistance kept me focused.

So I lost the weight. 30 lbs. I kept if off for three years and then I hit another wall and did not want to really follow the program anymore. What happened? You guessed it

I gained 14 lbs back over 5 months . I guess I could have given up, but WW and the gals and guys hung in there with me and I'm starting to lose the weight again. We all know it's not magic - I couldn't have gone back if not for all the other people who go to these meetings and let me know I'm not alone in my struggles.

You're not either! And, yes the $14/wk definitely takes a bite out, but knowing I was (and am) monetarily contributing to my weight loss definitely gave me more motivation.

There's a group of us who have bought the 12 Week Journal Diary $4.00 - a slim spiral bound notebook and have committed to posting weekly - check it out under the WW Thread Lifetime / Maintenance --- 12 week Challenge - maybe it might inspire you and give you additional support you need.

Also there are daily Threads where you can post what you've eaten and it's points on a daily basis. You'll see NONE of us do it "perfectly".

Hang in there!
Patch

Last edited by patch30; 07-11-2001 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2001, 02:26 PM   #6  

Default Desperate

Pre W W I probably spent more on snacks and goodies that the cost of the weekly meeting. Think about it.

Maybe you would like to invest in Mastercook Cooking Light Software for your computer that you can enter a recipe to get the nutrition value to help figure your points. There are over 1700 recipes in the program. You can 'lighten' a recipe to get the new nutrition values. You can create your own cookbook and even menu planning with a shopping list of ingredients needed for the menu.
Old 07-08-2001, 11:03 PM   #7  

Its not spending.... it's investing. You are investing in you. It is an excellent program and you are worth it.

Ronney
Old 07-11-2001, 12:55 AM   #8  

Hey Team-Mom,

I was really frustrated with gaining weight a few months back. It came from school, and being stressed and bored. I whined about it, but that did nothing. Someone suggested planning meals in advance, and I thought, nah, I'm not anal enough to do that. The response was, if I get desperate/determined enough to lose the weight, I will do whatever it takes.
And you know what? It's true. Once I got to the point of wanting to lose the weight, I could plan my menus in advance, and actually eat them. I got myself this exercise log book at the bookstore (I'm going to Yosemite in August, and am gonna do a lot of hiking, and didn't want to die), so I keep track of my work outs and everything. Yes, I am anal. But I've lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks, so I'm gonna stay anal until I get to goal, and then I'll lighten up a bit...but not too much, cuz I don't want to be where my clothing doesn't fit, and I feel out of shape and unhealthy.

Be sure you actually want to lose weight for your own reasons. Not because someone else says you need to. Have some sort of motivation. Plan your meals initially. Experiment with new foods. Get some variety in your diet. Get someone to exercise with you. Get some good music to motivate you. Get a journal to write your thoughts in if that will help you. Look at some healthy living type books for ideas. Subscribe to a healthy type magazine. Nothing like 12 issues coming to motivate you and remind you.

If you want to win this time, you will. But it will take work and effort. Don't give up if it isn't as fast as you want.

Andrea
Old 07-11-2001, 09:43 AM   #9  
imaleader

Default Costly?

Hi there. Everyone has given you terrific support. Let me point out one very obvious thing (that other have said, less bluntly $14.00 a week to save your life is a lot cheaper than

1. Heart transplant
2. Heart lung machine
3. Insulin when diabetes is diagnosed
4. Surgery for Gall bladder disease
5. Knee surgery for when the weight keeps coming on and you can't support your own weight anymore.
6. Hip surgery
7. Breast Cancer
8. Colon Cancer

God Forbid on all of the above..... but, why risk it.

Also, 14.00 a week is cheaper than the snacks you eat and the unhealthy foods you fill up on because you're not eating right to begin with.

Insurance notwithstanding, all these things are quality of life issues that you simply cannot put a price on. If you weren't convinced yet, please reconsider and join, and take stock! You've acknowledged the problem. Now, go face it head on. I lost 59 pounds and it was the best thing I ever did.... All the other participants in this forum feel the same. We're rooting for you. Make the right CHOICE!

Lots of love,

Old 07-11-2001, 04:11 PM   #10  

Thank you ALL for your replies and your support. It's a couple weeks later and I have not joined WW yet. I have done fine with my eating the last couple weeks, until yesterday. I have been binging on pizza, chinese food, poptarts, cookies, you name it. I feel so bad about it. No more whining for me. I have to JUST DO IT. I went out and bought some new clothes about a week ago, because my old stuff didn't fit. Now these clothes already feel tighter! Although I am feeling like a loser, you have inspired me to go on. Thanks all.
Old 07-11-2001, 04:56 PM   #11  
imaleader

Default San Diego Meetings

Hello Gorgeous: Stop Whining and Get yourself to a meeting. Here are locations and meeting times for San Diego WWs. GO already! Love, Ellen

Bahia Hotel & Resort/Mission Beach
998 W. Mission Bay Drive
San Diego, CA 92109

WED. 6:30 PM

Times listed are meeting times. Registration for new and current members begin one half hour before the meeting time.
Week 20 New time will be 6:00PM Weigh-in and 6:30PM meeting.
---------------------------------------------------

Handlery Hotel
950 Hotel Circle North
San Diego, CA 92108
WED. 6:00 PM, 7:30 PM

Announcements
Times listed are meeting times. Registration for new and current members begin one half hour before the meeting time.
----------------------------------------------------------
University Towne Center/la Jolla
4545 La Jolla Village Dr.
San Diego, CA 92122
WED. 12:30 PM

Announcements
----------------------------------------------------------

Weight Watchers @ Madison Square Center/Clairemont
5529 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92117

SUN. 11:30 AM
MON. 9:30 AM, 5:00 PM, 6:30 PM
TUE. 9:30 AM, 4:30 PM, 6:30 PM
WED. 9:30 AM, 12:30 PM, 6:30 PM
THU. 9:30 AM, 12:30 PM
FRI. 7:30 AM, 9:30 AM
SAT. 8:00 AM, 10:00 AM
Announcements
---------------------------------------------------

Weight Watchers @ San Diego Center
7014 University Ave.
San Diego, CA 91941

MON. 12:30 PM, 6:30 PM
TUE. 6:00 PM
WED. 9:30 AM
THU. 7:00 PM
FRI. 9:30 AM
SAT. 8:00 AM, 10:00 AM
Announcements
---------------------------------------------------------

Old 07-11-2001, 06:07 PM   #12  
cookies are for browsers

Dear Team Mom:

First, let me say that I am sorry for the frustrations you are feeling. I don't know what it's like to be you, but I do have a lot of frustrations, mainly to do with water weight, and I had to respond because a lot of what you said is stuff I am struggling with right now, too.

I have spent over $800 at WW and never kept it off. Recently I tried WW 123 points for 10 weeks and gained 5 pounds. I'm not bashing WW, it's a healthy program - it just doesn't work for me. The exchange program did, and that's what I'm heading back to.

I got so frustrated that I gave my scale away and now I am eating mostly fruits and vegetables and making sure I'm stopping when I'm full. No boredom eating. I'm trying to pay FULL attention to what it is that I'm eating and I'm finding that it only takes one or two bites to stop eating the fattening stuff if I am really paying attention. It's my body realizing the food, not feeding the emotions. I think that my weight problems are not from what I'm eating but from how I'm eating.

Right now I am trying to regain control of the healthy diet I used to have and keep exercising every day. It sucks that I'm fat but it takes some time to get rid of it. Meanwhile I am going to eat healthy things and enjoy them a lot. I've found some exercise that is really fun and I'm sticking with that. I haven't lost weight yet but I have gained muscle tone.

I know this probably doesn't help, but it is just another perspective. Get a Mode magazine. Realize that you are allowed to have fun and be beautiful NO MATTER WHAT YOU WEIGH!!! Your life doesn't begin when you hit your goal weight. It's right now, in front of you. Changes take time, but happiness is a state of mind. Lucky for us we can get there in a minute!
{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Jennifa
Old 07-11-2001, 06:57 PM   #13  

Another thought Team Mom -

It was very easy for me to go to one WW meeting pay the 14 bucks and then not go back. I've been there, and felt hopeless.

Then someone took a picture of me that was so demoralizing I "had to" try again. So I decided to really bite the bullet and commit for 3 months. They usually have some sort of package deal going on that's cheaper for each week if you buy the whole package. It may end up costing around $120 or so.

I don't know your financial situation, mine at the time was not good, but I felt I WAS WORTH THE EXPENDITURE AND COMMITTMENT You are too It was the only way I could even try to make it back. I didn't want to lose the money I spent. It took me about 2 weeks to really start working the program and pay attention to portions and what I was stuffing in my mouth! It took another week or so to really track the points and see the weight start coming off.

You can do it. Don't let the past dictate your future.

love
Patch
Closed Thread