Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 01:59 PM   #16  

Default week 1 booklet

The materials I received when I started contained many examples of meals at various point levels. Why not just stick with those if all the constant choices are overwhelming? I have certain combinations and foods I repeat when I'm stressed (particularly frozen things that I can always have accessible) because they are healthful and satisfying. My most frequent evening meal is two boca burgers (no rolls), a bowl of no-point vegetables, and a big salad with a nice dressing. I've eaten this over and over, varying the combinations with the seasons. Sometimes I add a potato or some rice. You don't need to eat a million different foods if you're a person who is happy with less variety.
Old 06-18-2001, 05:33 PM   #17  

yeah, i got those too. but my mom just can't deal with looking through the menus and choosing. and i'm too lazy to type everything into the computer for her so she can have a month of planned out meals for morning noon and night. i think it's just an excuse for her, personally. but she'll have to lose weight or have back surgery....maybe that'll be motivation for her.....

i sometimes feel like i am the parent and my mom is the child.

andrea
Old 06-18-2001, 06:09 PM   #18  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Wink

Hi! Imaleader, thank you sooooo much. That 1970 printout was so funny. I remembr choking down food I didn't like and desperately trying to lose weight. I wasn't able to make that program work, nor any of the selection programs, ad infinitum...But counting points does work for me. A mature and thoughtful program. Thanks for the nostalgia and congrats to all of you who lost weight doing that program.
234/?/thinner
Old 06-19-2001, 11:59 AM   #19  

How do I download the file?
Old 06-19-2001, 08:12 PM   #20  

for me, the attachment is a clickable link in the original message. that should work...i think. if it doesn't, i have no idea what else to suggest. i am not the world's biggest computer wiz.
Old 06-20-2001, 01:15 PM   #21  
Chick-a-dee

Talking

What a chuckle reading the "old" program"! I remember my mother and her friend choking down chicken liver chili, which was the only way they could disguise the requisite liver servings. I, of course, love liver in any form, so I ate all of what they didn't, and look where it got me!

Shakethosehips, I think the problem with junk food may be in it being typically very high in simple carbohydrates. Many of us find we have to 'watch' the carbs or we don't lose well, especially carbs with no fiber.

AnnieV
290/205/150-ish
Old 06-22-2001, 02:46 PM   #22  

Default and it wasn't a terrible diet....

If you followed this to the letter, it was a very nutritious diet, especially in contrast to the general American diet of the times. You also need to remember that the variety of foods we now enjoy from whole-grain bread to Skinny Cows and edible low-fat salad dressing SIMPLY DIDN'T EXIST. Even s/f soda tasted vile.

I reviewed what I've eaten in the last few days and at least 80% of what I eat on WW123 wasn't availible in 1970 here in eastern Ct.
Old 06-22-2001, 05:52 PM   #23  

Thank you so much for the program from the past. It was marvelous to read and I was highly relieved to be on the new one. Liver has never been a favorite, and I have to say the vegetable restrictions would have been unpleasant for me.

It is a great conversation piece.

Liza
Old 06-22-2001, 08:54 PM   #24  
Fit and Feisty

Default Message to lhendricks

Your post reminded me of the time when Weight Watchers ice cream first hit the supermarkets. I think it was 1972, and it was only available in Poughkeepsie, New York. A friend and I drove all the way there from Bridgeport with two coolers of dry ice and bought as many as we could bring back.

The ice cream came in two flavors, chocolate and vanilla. It was "meally" tasting, a far, far cry from what is available today. But we thought we "died and went to heaven".
Old 06-25-2001, 11:23 AM   #25  

Default what we're used to....

I'm just sharing with some of the younger folks here that weight-loss "back then" was tougher in some ways. Less decisions but very few really delicious options either. I remember WW bread in the markets which was great because you could have TWO SLICES instead of one.
Old 06-25-2001, 01:55 PM   #26  

my mom ate that bread on weight watchers in the 70s too. she said it was so awful tasting that she stripped it off of her sandwich and tried to feed it to the pigeons. unfortunately, they wouldn't eat it either.
hee hee

andrea
Old 06-27-2001, 03:09 PM   #27  
imaleader

Everyone's been getting a kick out of that program. I did it for one week (starting last thursday) -- and followed in absolutely religiously. Not one illegal food passed my lips. Although, I will admit a couple of illegal combinations did. On 2 occasions, I had both breads at breakfast (until I purchased the Wonder Light at 1/2 point each) and I also had 1 cup of no fat cottage cheese (which did not exist back then) instead of the 2/3 cup regular (it was a shopping error.) My weigh in for this experiment is tomorrow. I will let you all know how it worked.

Old 06-27-2001, 04:02 PM   #28  

We actually had dry curd cottage cheese ... very nasty but much lower in calories.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:23 PM   #29  
imaleader

Quilter: Isn't dry curd also known as "tangy"? or is that something else entirely. I remember "California" style (what ever that is) "tangy" and dry curd (but MAY have been the same?). My all time favorite,though, is POT Cheese by Friendship. I don't know if it's available all over, but it has a large curd, is soft, not runny, and almost sweet. Lower in fat, and used in a lot of Jewish style cooking. Can't always find it. (Richard Nixon used to put ketchup on his cottage cheese. Isnt' THAT special!

Old 06-27-2001, 06:52 PM   #30  

Does anybody have the lists of the #3 and #4 veggies? In fact, I would love to see a copy of all the "old" food lists. The old plan wasn't easy, but it worked. You have got to wonder how 5 weiners at once ever let you lose weight.

I remember the day they announced that "Golden Grahams" were now "legal". I think all the WW cleaned the grocery shelves that night. There were so few cereals (good tasting ones, that is) that were allowed. We did think we had died and gone to heaven. Breakfast was pretty grim back then.
Closed Thread